Where do the ships dock in Stockholm?

Hi Al,

First thanks for all your wonderful information. I am on the same cruise as Boo's Mom. Do you know if you can walk from where the Celebrity Shuttle drops you off in the downtown area to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan or should we just get a taxi at the pier and not bother with the free shuttle?

Thank you again.

I think Celebrity's shuttle drops you off at the Royal Opera. That is in very walkable distance to the Palace and Gamla Stan.

Have a great time

I may have skimmed over this, but does anyone know if Jewel OTS is part of the shuttle service? I am gathering that the best thing to do is go to tourist office and get Stockholm card first. Our plan is to go to Vasa, maybe stay on the island a little while, then possible go to the palace. If any time left shop around Gamla Stan and stores close to tourist office. Will this cover the most important things to see/do with only one day in a port we have never before visited and may not get to see again?

Hi Al,

Another question: speaking of the Stockholm Card do you think this is something we should purchase and can we pre-purchase it before we leave? Or should we just wait until we dock in Stockholm?

I like to be as prepared as possible when getting off the ship so we can jump right in and get going.

Thanks again!

Yes, the city cards are available for pre-purchase. I have pre-purchased all three cards for my 6/16/06 cruise. Cards will take 7-10 days for arrival. Stockholm and Copenhagen arrived at the house. Had to go to Post Office and sign for the Helsinki card. Purchase price is approximately $35 pp US $'s.

Glad I pre-purchased. It gives you a layout of the city, lists all the museums and attractions, entry fees, what is included (free) with the purchase of the card and what discounts you get with the cards....so you can pre-plan your trips. (Note: the guidebooks are not large so neither are the maps which are in the back of the books.) I called my cruise line and asked where we would be docked in each port (which they gave to me over the phone). That way when I got the maps with the city cards, I knew where my starting point was so I could hit the ground running at each port.

Order from below sites:

www.helsinkiexpert.fi

www.stockholmtown.com

www.visitcopenhagen.com

Happy sailing.....:)

....or anyone else who may know !

I am ending my day in Stockhom with a cruise on the SS Stockholm. The Stockholm docks at Strandvagen.

With the Constellation docking at Frihamnen, is it feasible to walk from Strandvagen to Frihamnen? If so, how long of a walk would it be? Would you recommend such a walk?

Thanks !

....or anyone else who may know !

I am ending my day in Stockhom with a cruise on the SS Stockholm. The Stockholm docks at Strandvagen.

With the Constellation docking at Frihamnen' date=' is it feasible to walk from Strandvagen to Frihamnen? If so, how long of a walk would it be? Would you recommend such a walk?

Thanks ![/quote']

Hi Boo's Mom, and Boo (whoever that is) :)

In short .... no, no, no ... I would not reccommend walking from Strandvägen to Frihamnen. Certainly possible, but nah, take a taxi or the bus.

Interesting that you are taking a trip on the Stockholm. Is it a lunch cruise or what? I've been meaning to do that myself someday, but you know how it is ... :)

Skål

Hi Boo's Mom, and Boo (whoever that is) :)

In short .... no, no, no ... I would not reccommend walking from Strandvägen to Frihamnen. Certainly possible, but nah, take a taxi or the bus.

Interesting that you are taking a trip on the Stockholm. Is it a lunch cruise or what? I've been meaning to do that myself someday, but you know how it is ... :)

Skål

OK. Thanks.

No walking then !

Yes, we are taking the lunch cruise.

Here is the link:

http://www.strommakanalbolaget.com/EN/restaurang/brunch/index.htm

I will be on the Connie sailing of 5/20; just about 1 & 1/2 weeks away. I just checked and confirmed that for this sailing the Connie will be docking at the pier that Al says is the most convenient.

I have previously visited Stockholm twice and this is one of my favorite cities in the world. While I am a big fan of Princess (sailing Celebrity this time), I do agree with Al that not sailing through the archipielago is missing one of the most beautiful and natural scenery anyone can see. There are about 25,000 islands which take a few hours to sail through and they comprise all types of terrain (some islands are just huge boulders of rocks). Some are inhabited and some are not. I am glad that I will get to enjoy this beautiful passage again for the third time.

I will be on the Connie sailing of 5/20; just about 1 & 1/2 weeks away. I just checked and confirmed that for this sailing the Connie will be docking at the pier that Al says is the most convenient.

I have previously visited Stockholm twice and this is one of my favorite cities in the world. While I am a big fan of Princess (sailing Celebrity this time), I do agree with Al that not sailing through the archipielago is missing one of the most beautiful and natural scenery anyone can see. There are about 25,000 islands which take a few hours to sail through and they comprise all types of terrain (some islands are just huge boulders of rocks). Some are inhabited and some are not. I am glad that I will get to enjoy this beautiful passage again for the third time.

Really nice to see return visitors to Stockholm. Now you can do other things than the normal Vasa, Royal Palace thing. Have you been to Drottningholm?

Anyway, have a great time.

Archived