Where do the ships dock in Stockholm?

Greetings.... does anyone know if the Star Princess docks there as well?

Have I misunderstood my itenerary... I tought the Star was docking at Nynäshamn? Am I correct that this is about an hour away by train?

Hi, Building Memories - Apparently you are correct. If you do a search there are other threads about how to get from Nynashamn to Stockholm by train, which is supposed to be pretty easy. In reading this board I've also noticed posts on this subject from a CC member (screen name Al Frescoe) who lives in Stockholm. He has commented that docking at Nynashamn means that you don't get to see the Stockholm Archipelago (sp?) that other ships do as they sail in and out of Stockholm, and (in his opinion) that is unfortunate as the islands in the archipelago are beautiful. This has brought some accusations that Al Frescoe is "anti-Princess" and general fighting and bickering ensued...:rolleyes:

Just thought you should know. You may want to search the older threads on this board for more thoughts and information.

We're on Jewel OTS in September and we understand that we'll be at the dock in downtown Stockholm like the Constellation and others. I hope somebody will let me know if that's wrong!

Greetings.... does anyone know if the Star Princess docks there as well?

Have I misunderstood my itenerary... I tought the Star was docking at Nynäshamn? Am I correct that this is about an hour away by train?

Star docks in Nynashamn as per the itinerary and it appears we tender there as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the tendering.

We are also going on the Star. According to all the information/research on this board, it is about one hour away and looks quite expensive to hire a taxi to drive to/from Stockholm. Alternatives are using Princess tour "Stockholm On Your Own" which costs about US$72.00 pp or take the train.

Do a search on this forum and you'll find alot of information on the subject.

Julia

BTW, the Celebrity map is incorrect about where the Vasa ferry leaves from. The ferry terminal is just under the spot where it says Gamla Stan in a box.

The other spot only operates later during the summer and not in May.

Hi, Building Memories - Apparently you are correct. If you do a search there are other threads about how to get from Nynashamn to Stockholm by train, which is supposed to be pretty easy. In reading this board I've also noticed posts on this subject from a CC member (screen name Al Frescoe) who lives in Stockholm. He has commented that docking at Nynashamn means that you don't get to see the Stockholm Archipelago (sp?) that other ships do as they sail in and out of Stockholm, and (in his opinion) that is unfortunate as the islands in the archipelago are beautiful. This has brought some accusations that Al Frescoe is "anti-Princess" and general fighting and bickering ensued...:rolleyes:

Just thought you should know. You may want to search the older threads on this board for more thoughts and information.

We're on Jewel OTS in September and we understand that we'll be at the dock in downtown Stockholm like the Constellation and others. I hope somebody will let me know if that's wrong!

Wow, I haven't been here in awhile ...:rolleyes:

I just want to reiterate that I am not "anti Princess" and I believe I have made that clear in the past. My opinion regarding the spectacular sail-in through the archipelago still remains. This opinion is shared by many that have experienced it, and those that have to miss it have my condolences.

I sincerely hope everyone has a great time no matter what line they choose, and ya know what, I'm pretty sure most people will.

Skål

Al

I am receiving some information now that the Constellation may not be docking at Nybroviken.

I have an email in to Celebrity' date=' but I am going to call them on Monday.[/quote']

I highly doubt that the Constellation will dock at Nybroviken. She is way too large and that is a very busy area for smaller traffic. The Connie usually docks at Stadsgården, or Frihamnen. Of those two I would hope for Stadsgården, it is within sight of the old town and a pleasant walk along the water.

Enjoy the cruise.

Al

I highly doubt that the Constellation will dock at Nybroviken. She is way too large and that is a very busy area for smaller traffic. The Connie usually docks at Stadsgården, or Frihamnen. Of those two I would hope for Stadsgården, it is within sight of the old town and a pleasant walk along the water.

Enjoy the cruise.

Al

Hey Al,

I received confirmation from Celebrity that this is where the Constellation will dock on the July 1, 2006 sailing.

Stockholm Freeport Cruise Terminal

Frihamnen Berth 638

How far is this from Strandvagen?

Thanks.

Hey Al' date='

I received confirmation from Celebrity that this is where the Constellation will dock on the July 1, 2006 sailing.

Stockholm Freeport Cruise Terminal

Frihamnen Berth 638

How far is this from Strandvagen?

Thanks.[/quote']

Well, that is Frihamnen, the less desirable of the two wharfs in Stockholm proper. It's not as bad as Nynashamn though.

Frihamnen is the main working port in Stockholm, so it is rather an industrial seaport area, with not much to interest the average tourist. I believe Celebrity provides a free shuttle to the downtown area, and it takes maybe 15 minutes. There will also be taxis lined up and waiting.

Have a great time.

Skål

Al

Hi everyone,

Found cruise ship arrivals at this site:

http://www.stockholmcruise.com/templates/NetworkPartner____24.aspx

Just click on PORT INFORMATION at the top (it's colored pink) and choose "arriving cruise ships". It's a pdf download and has all info for the 2006 season including docks.

Thanks Al! for the Stadsgarden information. Constellation will be docking there on Aug. 30 for our cruise!

Can you tell me anything more about this section of the port?

Hi everyone,

Found cruise ship arrivals at this site:

http://www.stockholmcruise.com/templates/NetworkPartner____24.aspx

Just click on PORT INFORMATION at the top (it's colored pink) and choose "arriving cruise ships". It's a pdf download and has all info for the 2006 season including docks.

Thanks Al! for the Stadsgarden information. Constellation will be docking there on Aug. 30 for our cruise!

Can you tell me anything more about this section of the port?

Must have something to do with scheduling, fees, or who knows what ... lol, but some ships (the Connie is one) seem to alternate between Frihamnen and Stadsgården, good for you that you got the latter.

Where the Connie usually docks at Stadsgården is at the very end of the pier, and in the last couple of years they have added a ferry stop there (just to the left as you disembark). Before 911, my wife and I used to bicycle down there and greet the ships, we could actually ride right up to the gangway. I am a big ship buff, and I really miss being able to do this, but security is now much tighter and I can't get anywhere near the ships. Anyway, the ferry stop is inside the security gates so I don't know much about it, but I'm pretty sure it will get you to town. From Stadsgården to the old town, well, I would walk. There should be a few taxis outside the security gates as well. Sadly, I have stopped going down there in the last couple of years because of the security, so I am not really as up to date as far as info as I used to be, but better safe than sorry I suppose, and security is important, I just wish it wasn’t necessary.

End of Stadsgården to the old town = 20-25 minute easy walk with a view of your destination all the way.

Skål

Al

Thank you Al for your help. I can't wait to see the old town! I'm still looking for a good map of the area. We like to be able to walk to see the town when the ship docks.

Much appreciation,

• 1 month later...

The archipeligo is the only route out of town. There is usually a caravan of cruise ships traveling together. The transit has to be made in daylight hours so as the days become shorter toward the end of summer departures become earlier. It is especially neat on the weekend because all the Swedish folks are enjoying their summer cabins.

I am going to be on an Oceania cruise this summer and the Regatta docks at Frihamnen 638. Does anyone know if we will be passing through the archipelago when we leave port? We embark in Stockholm.

Yes, archipelago for you.

Enjoy

Thank you Al for your help. I can't wait to see the old town! I'm still looking for a good map of the area. We like to be able to walk to see the town when the ship docks.

Much appreciation,

To tell the truth, in my opinion a map of the Old Town is not really needed. It is located on a pretty small island and it would be impossible to get lost. You may think you are lost if you wander off into the narrow streets in the heart of it all, but just keep walking and you will soon find your way out.

Skål!

Hi Al,

First thanks for all your wonderful information. I am on the same cruise as Boo's Mom. Do you know if you can walk from where the Celebrity Shuttle drops you off in the downtown area to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan or should we just get a taxi at the pier and not bother with the free shuttle?

Thank you again.

Archived