QV Northern Light Tour Recommendations

LargeNegroni

We have just booked another cruise (you lovely lot have a lot to answer for) travelling on QV in November chasing the Northern lights. Looking for night tour recommendations. 

I realise Cunard organise one but are there smaller group options available. Would love to hear your opinions/reviews.

Also any other top tips ? For example keeping warm during those chilly evenings on deck - I’m considering a hot water bottle 😁.

Thank you in advance 😊

Check the phase of moon for your port day(s) - last November we had an almost full moon so you never really got dark adapted. Despite that, our first view of the aurora was visible through the bus's windshield. [Cunard arranged bus tour, with local guide]

Does your sailing include an overnight stop [Tromso?] If so, I would consider booking an independent tour for the first night to assure that you will not miss the departure time. Many of the independent operators will supply warm clothing for use while on the tour [and camera tripods are available from some operators]. There seems to be a standard meeting place downtown by the 'Radisson Blue' hotel - that should be near the shuttle drop off. Some operators will drop you back by the pier after their tour.

If you are considering an independent tour - check on your 'roll call' to see who else might be interested.

See the website https://www.visittromso.no/seasons/autumn for the tourist board listing of activities and tour vendors. [Other cities in Norway have similar tourist websites  in case you have a different port, like Alta].

The usual cool weather advice is to dress in layers, and have a warm hat. I had warm boots [Columbia 'Bugaboots' that had decent ice traction [might be an issue], tall wool socks, long ski underwear and ski pants. We brought a fairly good size duffel with our 'just in case' winter clothing - but only used some of of it. [Mrs Bear elected to stay on the QM2 and waited for Northern Lights sightings to be announced. The moonlight and other ambient light spoiled night vision despite the ship turning off topside lighting]

For a daytime excursion, I took a trip to the Polara museum/aquarium and the Wilderness center to visit the sled dogs. The dogs were quite friendly - I only regret not retuning covered with more muddy puppy paw prints [several 5 month old pups in an enclosure for cuddling]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your swift and informative response Old Bear. Yes we have an overnight stay in Tromso, the moon phase is quite favourable at that time too.

I shall check in with the roll call, and have a look at the other activities you provided a link to.

I’m not sure i trust myself with all those puppies 😍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LargeNegroni said:

Thank you for your swift and informative response Old Bear. Yes we have an overnight stay in Tromso, the moon phase is quite favourable at that time too.

I shall check in with the roll call, and have a look at the other activities you provided a link to.

I’m not sure i trust myself with all those puppies 😍

I _may_ have started the adults singing 😉

YT link 

• Haha 1

In March 2022, I wrote a daily blog on this board about our trip to the  Northern Lights on QE. Also posting along with me was a gentleman who had his own private blog that he was updating, (link spelling later corrected) along with a few casual remarks from other passengers at the time.

You might find these useful as weather and excursions are well documented, along with some photos.

I started this on March 22 2022, ONOUR WAY TO THE ARCTIC ON QE, if you have time to read with a cup of coffee. The only difference is that all comments were written when COVID restrictions were the norm.