Best snorkeling to NOT see sharks

merinski

Directions on the island are a bit wonky and difficult for me because of the way the island lands on the water. 

With that said,  can tell you I have snorkeled various areas around the island from end to end and side to side and never seen a shark. 

We are just like Guest 2000.  We have been on 21 cruises from the windward islands to Honduras and most points in between.  Snorkeled probably 80 times and have never seen a shark anywhere.  We have seen barracuda, octopus, huge black grouper, moray eel, and cuttle fish, but no sharks

Even considered taking a shark tour in the Bahamas, but it was too far from the ship to suit us.

I supose I sould have said I have been visiting Roatan almost annually for 23 years sometimes staying up to three months. I have snorkled heaps of the island. 

The only place I have seen a shark, Nurse and harmless, was off of Little Corn Island. 

Clackey, they say the Bahamas are a good spot for shark sitings. There are also whipsers of whale sharks off of Utila but it is said to be hit or miss. 

Edited by Guest 2000

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, Guest 2000 said:

I supose I sould have said I have been visiting Roatan almost annually for 23 years sometimes staying up to three months. I have snorkled heaps of the island. 

Guest 2000, what are you favorite places to snorkel in Roatan? We've snorkeled a couple times each at: 1. From shore at the Tabayana beach area

2. From boat at the Blue Channel.

We have always loved the Blue Channel area, but wonder if there are other spots we should try to go?

I know some people have said they thought Maya Key was really good, and another mentioned Little French Key. I also read about Big French Key.

I would love to hear your thoughts, and why you like certain areas. Thanks!!

On 11/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, scsagh said:

Guest 2000, what are you favorite places to snorkel in Roatan? We've snorkeled a couple times each at: 1. From shore at the Tabayana beach area

2. From boat at the Blue Channel.

We have always loved the Blue Channel area, but wonder if there are other spots we should try to go?

I know some people have said they thought Maya Key was really good, and another mentioned Little French Key. I also read about Big French Key.

I would love to hear your thoughts, and why you like certain areas. Thanks!!

I have not been to Maya Key. I worry just a little because it is so close to Coxen Hole. 

Years ago, Little French Key was involved in some very nasty business. I can't talk myself into suggesting anyone go there. Big French Key shares a lagoon with Little French Key. I think you will need a boat from either spot to get to the reef.  

The Roatan Marine Park runs from the Coxen Hole end of Sandy Bay to the opposite end of West Bay. The whole of this area is worth exploring. As you know, the easiest access is in West Bay. The reef gets a bit further out the more east ish to go. You need a pier or kayak in Sandy Bay to get past the shallows. 

Half Moon Bay in the village of West End may entertain for a day. Ginger's has very good food and offers a relaxing place on the beach. I think Sundowner's does as well. 

I understand the Reef House on the far east end offers good snorkeling. I have only snorkeled the east via boat, and while the plants were in good shape, the critter count seemed lower to me. Maybe it was the time of year or the nasty storm for a week just before I arrived. 

Cocoview has what they call their Front Yard; they don't offer day passes ( I stayed for 2 nights), but if you wanted to get a day pass from Fantasy Island, you could swim the channel. Fantasy Island reviews can be bleak, so at your own risk. 

Unfortunately, the remainder of the reef is too far out to get to without a boat. 

Oh, to answer the question, I don't think I have a favorite. I took an inflatable kayak down with me one year. I spent a week paddling and snorkeling in Sandy Bay, then moved to West Bay for another 2 weeks. I paddled from West Bay to West End, then snorkeled back daily. I think I like being in the water.  I live in Colorado, so I guess it makes sense I am attracted to the sea. 

• 2 weeks later...