uber from Cannes to St Paul De Vence (and back)

bighedz

We are considering using uber from Cannes port to St Paul De Vence and back again.  The rate estimates are 59 Euro one way (assuming no surge pricing).  Taxis come in around 90 Euro.   Has anyone done this?  Is it easy to call an uber in both areas?  I'd rather call them on the spot then schedule one ahead of time if they are easy to catch, unless we have to wait hours for one.

thanks

Getting a taxi or Uber at St Paul de Vence is a reall crap shoot as it is a somewhat rural area.  If there happens to be a taxi or Uber in the area you might be in luck...otherwise you may find yourself just standing around.  Keep in mind there is a public bus that operates between Nice and St Paul de Vence that also stops at Cagnes sur Mer where one can get a train over to Cannes.  The down side is that all this does take time which is what many folks do not have on a port day.

You might also consider just renting a car in Cannes and driving to St Paul de Vence (there is a large indoor parking garage adjacent to the city entrance).  A car will likely cost you less than dealing with taxis and you will gain the flexibility to do some other things such as driving over the Maeght Fondation, perhaps making a short visit to Antibes, etc.

Hank

On 7/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, bighedz said:

Thanks.  Do you know the area and if car rental is near port?  I’ll google some options. 

We do know the area quite well (having been there on dozens of cruises, stayed there in hotels, and rented apartments in the region).  There used to be a local rental car company quite close to the port, but I no longer know of their status (of name) and suspect they did not survive COVID.  There are multiple rental car agencies (such as Budget, Europcar, etc) located in town about 3/4 to 1 mile walk from the tender pier.   These agencies are all in the direction of the local train station.  You cannot ever depend on finding a taxi in the port area that will take you for the short haul, so this is an issue for folks who do not enjoy walks.  We actually like walking to the rental car offices or the train station since it is an opportunity to stroll though some of the better parts of Cannes (although it is not as nice near the train station) and enjoy the atmosphere.

Just a hint about we who love DIY.  Google Maps is your friend (and it is a free app).  Just look up the address of the rental car agency, and you can input it into Google Maps and see the location vis-a-vis the port area (Cannes is a tender port with the tenders dropping you at the southwestern part of the old port (Vieux Port).

I will also warn that a big problem with renting cars in city offices of Europe is they may well be closed on Sundays and holidays.  So always check on the opening hours of any agency.

Hank

Thanks, I do see rentals at the train station in Google Maps.  We are probably just going to stick to Cannes rather than St Paul De Vence.  We arrive in Cannes at 7:30am and leave at 3pm.  Considering we have to tender in and out, plus the 45 minute drive each way to St Paul, we would only realistically have a couple hours tops to spend there and that is if everything goes smoothly.  Seems like it's going to be easier to stay in Cannes and explore there.

18 hours ago, bighedz said:

Thanks, I do see rentals at the train station in Google Maps.  We are probably just going to stick to Cannes rather than St Paul De Vence.  We arrive in Cannes at 7:30am and leave at 3pm.  Considering we have to tender in and out, plus the 45 minute drive each way to St Paul, we would only realistically have a couple hours tops to spend there and that is if everything goes smoothly.  Seems like it's going to be easier to stay in Cannes and explore there.

I did not know you leave at 3 (why we suggest folks take a good look at port times before booking a cruise).  If 3 is listed as your departure time, your last tender is likely 2:30!  And if your ship truly arrives at 7:30, it can well be 9pm or later until you (and many others) will get tendered ashore.  With those time constraints we would not suggest folks should leave the Cannes area unless on a cruise ship excursion..or with a good "Plan B" to catch-up to the ship if the unspeakable happens and one misses the ship.  

When we rent a car, in a port like Cannes, our personal rule is to plan on being back in Cannes at least 2 hours prior to the last tender.  This gives us a comfort margin in case of a traffic jam, flat tire, etc.  And even using the trains (to go to places like Antibes or NIce) is still reason to keep a safety margin as trains can be delayed or even break down.  

Hank

• Like 1