What course of action should I take re: Covid on Cunard?

floatymcboatface

Second transatlantic in two years catching covid on the ship. Took precautions wasn't careless etc...

Now, here's my issue, this time I'm doing a return voyage on July 21...

It looks to me in the passenger agreement that if I'm still testing positive by the 7th (which is likely as I just started testing positive on the 30th), I'm not supposed to board the ship as I would have had covid or contact with covid within in 14 days of boarding and I'd have to go through my travel insurance etc...

That said, I'd happily cancel the trip now for a refund but it's too late for anything more than 25%. And will be too late for anything at all on the 7th...

Do I have any options other than these? Anyone had any luck with Cunard in a situation like this post 2022 and the relaxing of refund/credit policies?

I can't say I'm thrilled with the situation and there's clearly more spread on the boats than is being talked about, the coughing on the last transatlantic progressively spread through the boat throughout the week. But that said I'd kinda just like a way out if there is one so if anyone has any tips or pointers they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to complain, I'd just like to avoid the situation all together at this point.

Thanks!

I would take your initial testing date of the 30th as the start of your 14 days - which should then give you another week before boarding.  Recommendation is now 5 days of staying home/isolating from time of testing positive or having symptoms.  Hopefully you will be feeling well enough to travel and will likely be the least infectious on the voyage.  We have recently returned from our QV cruise with covid and just grateful we didn’t become unwell on board.  We are on QM2 in November and are hoping recent bout will offer some immunity but we are adjusting to living with the risk.

2 hours ago, floatymcboatface said:

I can't say I'm thrilled with the situation and there's clearly more spread on the boats than is being talked about, the coughing on the last transatlantic progressively spread through the boat throughout the week. But that said I'd kinda just like a way out if there is one so if anyone has any tips or pointers they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to complain, I'd just like to avoid the situation all together at this point.

Please note that are many things that cause coughing besides covid.  Why I even heard coughing before 2020.

• Like 2

I work in public health. If you are infectious now, it's very, very unlikely you will infect someone else after 10 days. 5 days covers >70% of people with current variants. The 14 day period is extra cautious but only makes plausible sense if it applies to the onset of symptoms being day 1. In the UK we follow a 5 day rule, even in hospitals, with 10 days in certain settings for the severely compromised. Source:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-managing-healthcare-staff-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection/managing-healthcare-staff-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection-or-a-positive-covid-19-test-result

However the UK version on the Cunard website is inconsistent. In one area it says 10 days: "If you, or a member of your household, test positive for Covid-19 within 10 days of your holiday or are not permitted to travel following completion of the Health Declaration questionnaire, you will be denied boarding."

In another area it says 5 days "If you test positive for Covid-19 test within 5 days of sailing, unfortunately you will not be allowed to travel.  You will need to contact your travel insurance provider to claim for any associated loss. " (FAQ section). This is in line with current advice from UKHSA. Source (and updated on 10 June 2023):

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/people-with-symptoms-of-a-respiratory-infection-including-covid-19#PositiveResult

If you have Covid now, well get better soon, drink plenty of liquids and get lots of rest. But you will not realistically infect other people on 21 July, it just doesn't happen. Formally you need to hear that from your GP or related clinician, but s/he won't say anything different to that.

• Like 4

I am a few weeks away from my next trip, and here is another example of inconsistent messaging. Upthread we have Cunard restrictions applying at:

= 14 days (source unclear, USA site?)

= 10 days (website)

= 5 days (website FAQ, aligns with UK public health guidelines)

Today I got this email, and the relevant extract is below, but it allows me to add:

= 7 days (pre departure email).

Now it's up to travellers which of these they would like to apply, and noting that there is no such requirements for other respiratory virus illnesses such as Influenza or RSV. But if Cunard can't be bothered to be consistent over something like this, I would say the traveller is within their rights to create their own consistency.

image.png.b6462d721fec99632fc0a6da7072f70a.png

You are probably ok to go on the 21st and you will also have very strong immunity given this recent bout. Going at a later date you would be coming in with lowered immunity for what that statement is worth.

Lets be realistic it is on every ship forever and always will be until it burns itself out if it ever does. It will circulate from sailing to sailing between crew and crew, passengers and passengers and passenger and crew. Nothing you do will change any of that.

In the US, vaccination status is tracked state by state. For New York, there is a 'wallet' app holding vaccination records as the 'official' way of displaying vaccination status.

That app is being shut down this month as it now considered unnecessary - no one is interested in vaccination status.

Is it not the case that in most places now, whether on land or on board ship, Covid is there at some generally lowish level in any community.  You have some chance of catching it whether you have popped in to the supermarket to buy a pack of vegetables near home, or on a ship in a dining room, or on a shore excursion. Wherever you are, and no matter what you do there will be some chance yo might get Covid. If you are vaccinated, or if you have had Covid in recent months, then if you do get infected the chances are it will likely be not much worse than a bad cold, and if you are lucky milder than that.  So for most people getting Covid is not that big a deal, but of course we would all prefer not to get it on holiday. But just as there are always some who have a cough or cold on board, a few will likely have Covid on any voyage.  So most people have reached the stage where it is not something we dwell on in a big way, but of course we would prefer to not be infected if possible. I don't think I know anyone who has not had Covid at some point in the past year or two.  Of course if you are particularly vulnerable to the effects of being ill then it is a bigger worry.  But the experience I have seen in recent times chatting to people is that Covid is not part of daily life any more, and people focus on other more interesting subjects in social discussions.  This has been the case on the voyages we have been on the past year and a half.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 2