HAL Shore Excursions and Waitlist

Smeecanada

They are supposed to contact you if the waitlist clears.  Mistakes do happen and it is possible that you would be overlooked as happened to me one time.  They insisted it was an error and the spaces showing availability for booking were not really available.  In any case, once onboard spaces became available and they cancelled my existing tour and confirmed me on the more desired tour.  Always check with shore excursions when you first get on the ship.

7 minutes ago, Smeecanada said:

Yes, thank you I'm aware of that and have done tours from operators other than HAL.  My query is if I already have a tour booked with HAL  and also a tour waitlisted for the same day - will they contact me if spots come available for the more desired tour.

Hey @Smeecanada my experience has been mixed - I've had them contact me, but I've also had them not contact me.

I have taken it upon myself to continue to monitor the tour I really wanted (your more desired tour) and contact them to add it & cancel the other if I found an opening. 

If they're actively working waitlists, this likely won't get you your desired tour as you shouldn't see any openings. Posters here report they are getting contacted by being on a waitlist, so that's hopeful.

You could also contact Shore Ex on a regular basis.

Fingers crossed for you - please report your outcome as I'm interested in how it goes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @Smeecanada my experience has been mixed - I've had them contact me, but I've also had them not contact me.

I have taken it upon myself to continue to monitor the tour I really wanted (your more desired tour) and contact them to add it & cancel the other if I found an opening. 

If they're actively working waitlists, this likely won't get you your desired tour as you shouldn't see any openings. Posters here report they are getting contacted by being on a waitlist, so that's hopeful.

You could also contact Shore Ex on a regular basis.

Fingers crossed for you - please report your outcome as I'm interested in how it goes.

Exactly my experience.   Don’t rely on getting the email, constantly monitor 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, Smeecanada said:

Hello,

Query about how the HAL Shore excursion and the waitlist.   Booking for our upcoming cruise and I've selected a shore excursion and paid for it (just so we have an excursion).  However, I've waitlisted us for a more desired excursion.  Will HAL still notify us if the more desired excursion comes available - even though we've booked the alternate choice?

I am curious if your cruise has happened and what ended up occurring.  I have the identical question regarding a cruise to Japan this coming April.  I wondered if you fully pay for an excursion online, will HAL still keep you waitlisted on a second excursion, or will the "system" automatically remove you due to recognizing a time conflict (meaning the more desirable tour is same day/time)?  It seems this is what you were asking?

On 7/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, Smeecanada said:

Hello,

Query about how the HAL Shore excursion and the waitlist.   Booking for our upcoming cruise and I've selected a shore excursion and paid for it (just so we have an excursion).  However, I've waitlisted us for a more desired excursion.  Will HAL still notify us if the more desired excursion comes available - even though we've booked the alternate choice?

I am curious if your cruise has happened and what ended up occurring.  I have the identical question regarding a cruise to Japan this coming April.  I wondered if you fully pay for an excursion online, will HAL still keep you waitlisted on a second excursion, or will the "system" automatically remove you due to recognizing a time conflict (meaning the more desirable tour is same day/time)?  It seems this is what you were asking?

1 hour ago, CruizAddict said:

Hi, not smeecanada, but jumping in to share. I am PIF on an 815am excursion tomorrow and waitlisted on another, also at 815am.

If the waitlisted one came through (not likely) I would get a message from HAL that I had cleared the waitlist & that excursion would be in my shopping cart. I'd have a small window to purchase it & cancel the other.

You can see "waitlist" for the first excursion.  I wasn't able to get them both in a single shot, but you can see they're for the same day/time.

Hope that helps answer your question.

20231226_203537.thumb.jpg.f91cc631cae15ad7b5b7ce94adefab97.jpg20231226_203502.thumb.jpg.fa5ae780f44159aa2b7429868a12271c.jpg

• Thanks 1

We have only had good experiences with waitlisting. Once we request to be on a waitlist we get an email notification if opening come up. . We have 72 hours to purchase or not. We have purchased several times this way. Always seamless..I guess we have been lucky. You can always remove yourself from a waitlist if desired. If I have chosen and paid for another tour that same day I just cancel it and have always received a credit back. I had one time been waitlisted for 2 different excursions on the same day. easy to cancel the other.

We booked an excursion in one port, but also did a wait list request for a different excursion in the same port.

If the wait list comes through, what happens to the excursion reservation we already have?  Does it automatically cancel?  Or do we have to cancel it ourselves?

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

If the wait list comes through, what happens to the excursion reservation we already have?  Does it automatically cancel?  Or do we have to cancel it ourselves?

And the answer is - you have to cancel the excursion you already have before the waitlist option will work.