Can i pay...

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here is the language in your policy. I would want very specific clarification. This comes directly from Nationwide Cruise insurance page. My understanding from research (and what an insurance agent told me) is that insurance policies reimburse payments, but a gift certificate is not considered a payment. I would love to be wrong. 

image.png.0b9c1ded19bb86e2d98092b688b3e060.png

Found on page 6 here: file:///C:/Users/12485/Downloads/NWC3r16_cert_DefaultFulfillment.pdf

When I spoke to my insurance agent, I was using AARP gift certificates in the scenario. Perhaps buying gift cards directly from HAL is different. 

I would think it would be matter of getting reimbursement for $450 per $500 card—which you have proof of payment by your own credit card—and the loss would be the $50.  Would like not to have to worry about this as the AARP cards are a nice benefit.  

4 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

I would think it would be matter of getting reimbursement for $450 per $500 card—which you have proof of payment by your own credit card—and the loss would be the $50.  Would like not to have to worry about this as the AARP cards are a nice benefit.  

I  agree that AARP 10% off cards are great. Based on my research and discussions, I will not use them for any part of my cruise that is not refundable. You may want to give your insurance agent a ring to double check.

• Like 1

@MisterMatthew as others have said, yes after deposit is paid - up until final payment you can make as few or as many number of payments in whatever amount you would like. You can do that yourself directly on the website or app w/o calling in for a person to handle. You can also split payments between cards during a single transaction.

If you booked through or transferred the booking to a TA, your payments have to go through them - you cannot make payments except for excursions and other add ons.

If you book air through Flight Ease, that gets added to your total and eill be at final payment, so consider that as you consider budgeting payment amounts.

If you need to cancel even if you have a non-refundable fare, call in - they are at times willing to transfer all monies you've paid to another booking. I have personally done that more than once. Just be prepared that they technically can so no and may opt to do so.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise.

7 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Envious of you Americans and you "A"ARP - we Canadians with access to "C"ARP don't have those gift cards. I keep trying every few months though!  (-;

Please let us know if it ever does work! I was hoping for a Mother's Day sale, then an Independence Day Sale on the gift cards. Sadly, nothing came about. Booooo

1 minute ago, Dismomx5 said:

Please let us know if it ever does work! I was hoping for a Mother's Day sale, then an Independence Day Sale on the gift cards. Sadly, nothing came about. Booooo

I tried this morning after I posted - but no luck. It wants an American phone number to verify. Both our home and cell numbers are recognized as being non-US numbers 😐

On 7/4/2023 at 1:52 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Happy 4th Mister Matthew, You will be required to make the minimum deposit when booking but after that up till the day prior to penalties starting you can make as many small payments as you like. Another way to save is to purchase AARP HAL Gift Cards, I purchase an amount each month to apply on my upcoming HAL cruises. The gifts cards that are under Rewards on AARP saves you 10% discount. A $500 gift card will cost you $450.00. Or a $100.00 gift card will cost $90.00. 

Be warned. Most trip insurance will NOT cover the cost of the gift cards if you need to cancel the trip, etc. I recently discovered that (after I purchased some of the AARP gift cards).

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Buying the gift cards direct from HAL may make the process smoother. I buy from AARP with the constant 10% offer.

I’ll call and see what they say. I’ll ask if the language is new too. Not sure we can trust the call center, but I’ll try. 

The HAL gift cards were sold through BuyATab, not HAL. They was a link on the HAL website to the BuyATabl website in Spring 2022. The credit card statemen had BuyATab on it, not HAL.

• Like 1

Okay, thank you everyone.  It's fun to get so many VALUABLE responses.  I really appreciate it. 

I'm still at the "have only done two cruises in my lifetime" status.  Lol.  So, the prospect of needing to cancel has not really entered my mind.  But, then again... life can deal a MISH-MOSH of HELTER SKELTER.  Lol. 

At this point, I do not have a certain sailing in mind.  But, now knowing that the option of payments is available ... this makes me more inclined to choose something that is costly.  (Costly, at least for me ---- in which I would not normally be able to just "plop" down $3K for something on a whim). 

Plus, the idea of doing something "longer in duration" than what I've done thus far.  Which, are 7-day, and a 10-day sailing. 

Sorry to type a lot.

---MisterMatthew

• Like 3