Bourbon/Whisky at Gulmohar's and Luxbar (and RCL excursion to Orient Beach)

buddyjones

We had a stopover on our cruise in late April 2023 with Royal Caribbean. If you really enjoy bourbon, whiskey, or really any other kind of liquor, it is a MUST stop at Gulmohar’s to purchase liquor and then right across the street to Luxbar to try bourbons,etc at a very reasonable price.

Here was our itinerary…

1. Beach time at Orient Beach (or of course you can pick any excursion). We bought the excursion through Royal Caribbean and it worked out perfectly. To me, this is the best most beautiful beach on the entire island, but that’s just my opinion. We did have some challenges with the seaweed that was well advertised, but that was obviously unavoidable. It did not damper the day! 

2. Gulmohar's Whisky Paradise (schedule 30 minutes)  to buy great hard to find bourbons (varied I'm sure during the year), and they have other fine selections as well. We picked up several bottles of Blanton's Gold, Blanton’s straight from the barrel, Elijah Craig barrel proof, and a dark Cuban rum that I bought for a friend of mine. You can ask them questions ahead of time via email. (check out their Facebook page) and confirm time for sending purchases back to ship.

3. LUXBAR (schedule at least one hour): We hung out here for about 1 1/2 hours and just had the best time. Kat Adams (Mixologist) was so friendly and helpful answering our questions. Enjoy some excellent pours for very reasonable prices. See the attached photo.

A quick note about US customs and paying for items in excess of the duty free limit: I clearly bought more than the allocated duty free liquor. I had all of my receipts, and was prepared to pay the extremely minor amount of excise tax upon reentry to Miami. They did not stop us, nor did I have the opportunity to voluntarily pay for the excise taxes. 

IMG_7968.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, buddyjones said:

We had a stopover on our cruise in late April 2023 with Royal Caribbean. If you really enjoy bourbon, whiskey, or really any other kind of liquor, it is a MUST stop at Gulmohar’s to purchase liquor and then right across the street to Luxbar to try bourbons,etc at a very reasonable price.

Here was our itinerary…

1. Beach time at Orient Beach (or of course you can pick any excursion). We bought the excursion through Royal Caribbean and it worked out perfectly. To me, this is the best most beautiful beach on the entire island, but that’s just my opinion. We did have some challenges with the seaweed that was well advertised, but that was obviously unavoidable. It did not damper the day! 

2. Gulmohar's Whisky Paradise (schedule 30 minutes)  to buy great hard to find bourbons (varied I'm sure during the year), and they have other fine selections as well. We picked up several bottles of Blanton's Gold, Blanton’s straight from the barrel, Elijah Craig barrel proof, and a dark Cuban rum that I bought for a friend of mine. You can ask them questions ahead of time via email. (check out their Facebook page) and confirm time for sending purchases back to ship.

3. LUXBAR (schedule at least one hour): We hung out here for about 1 1/2 hours and just had the best time. Kat Adams (Mixologist) was so friendly and helpful answering our questions. Enjoy some excellent pours for very reasonable prices. See the attached photo.

A quick note about US customs and paying for items in excess of the duty free limit: I clearly bought more than the allocated duty free liquor. I had all of my receipts, and was prepared to pay the extremely minor amount of excise tax upon reentry to Miami. They did not stop us, nor did I have the opportunity to voluntarily pay for the excise taxes. 

IMG_7968.jpeg

I second your thoughts. They are fantastic there and prices are great. I didn't get to Luxbar because of time issues. I plan to be at both places whiI return this coming January.