Booked our first Viking cruise directly with Viking. Better off using a TA?

natshala

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Slight correction . . .   hotel transfers are not included in the cruise price, they are included in the Viking Air price, with the condition as you said you fly in immediately and leave immediately.

The cruise price is separate and is a separate line item on the invoice.  We never take Viking Air, but often begin with it on the invoice, just to have a placeholder in case we can't get a better deal (which we always do).  You can take it off before final payment.

We do this too.  I just finished arrangements paying for our Northern Lights cruise in Jan.  I was able to get business class air for about $700 pp less than Viking quoted (not counting the add on for Air + and deviation charges).  
Next up is Bangkok to Vancouver next spring.  Some preliminary looking as shown we will be ditching airfare for this too.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, duquephart said:

Another situation: We have pre & post extensions so transfers are included. But we book our own air so will have to do a transfer request.

Usually completing a transfer request means you will be charged the per person transfer fee.  Scheduling a transfer included in a pre or post extension when not using Viking Air has only required our TA to advise Viking of our arrival flight information. When we didn't use a TA, all we did is tell our Viking agent our flight info.

• Like 2

Another situation: We have pre & post extensions so transfers are included. But we book our own air so will have to do a transfer request.

Usually completing a transfer request means you will be charged the per person transfer fee.  Scheduling a transfer included in a pre or post extension when not using Viking Air has only required our TA to advise Viking of our arrival flight information. When we didn't use a TA, all we did is tell our Viking agent our flight info.

Usually completing a transfer request means you will be charged the per person transfer fee.  Scheduling a transfer included in a pre or post extension when not using Viking Air has only required our TA to advise Viking of our arrival flight information. When we didn't use a TA, all we did is tell our Viking agent our flight info.  Is there now a form to complete for an included transfer?

Regarding the transfer form, you also have to remind yourself that if there are any changes to the flights you "registered" on the form, it's up to you to notify Viking per the bolded statement under Guest 2 signature line.  It would be nice if we were told what format they prefer the change notification to be in.  If I were actually in transit when the change occurred, I'd probably call the "emergency" number provided, but if the change occurred while still home, I don't know what's considered appropriate notification. 

20 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Curious what the "special" $1000 amount is from Viking?  Is that the $500 Viking Shipboard credit on the advertisement they had?

Note that when you use a TA, Viking does have a schedule for the maximum a TA is allowed to give you in OBC's and this varies by length of the cruise you book, ranging from $150 to $300 to $500 max  (pp).  The TA's don't have to give you the maximum amount.  Some do some don't.

I have heard people say their TA gives them better cruise prices than Viking does, but I've never understood why, since Viking to my knowledge doesn't let TA's discount the actual cruise price.  Would love to hear some concrete examples.  My guess is that if those TA's were found out, they might have an issue.  Maybe that has changed in 2023 where TA's can undercut the cruise price that Viking sells.  If so, would also like to hear about it!  

Sorry for the late response. Yes—I was talking about the $500 OBC Viking advertised.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, duquephart said:

You don't have to do a transfer request since they are included in the extensions.  You do have to fill out a form that describes your flights so Viking knows when to meet you.

Or is it the same form?  I can't remember.   It is available online in MVJ, or your TA can help.