"The retreat" cabanas

Leaving for Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 10 days. We are traveling with other people. My brother and his wife (part of our travel party) just purchased a cabana on the Observation deck for $399 for the entire week. I am assuming I won't be able to "visit" him and his wife in their cabana. I am guessing they will have a system to keep those out that did not pay for a cabana? Will it be denoted on their key card? I am also assuming if his wife is not hanging out in the cabana, I will not be able to "sub in" for her?? 

The cabana stewards know who booked cabanas and for $399 your brother booked a cabana for 2 people.  They may be fine if you're up there when his wife is not there, but it would be wrong for you (or you & hubby) to go there when brother & his wife are there.  You could always book your own cabana, then you'd be free to enjoy the amenities with them.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

As mentioned, the cabana stewards know who is allowed, and who isn't. And, yes, it would be wrong for any one else to use it. Not sure why you might think otherwise. But, you guiys could book your own cabana. You will love it. Its great!!

• Like 1

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone. I would not pay for that for the whole week as I would not want to stay in one stationary location for the whole week. I was just curious if I would be allowed to "check it out" to see if I would be interested in paying for a cabana for one day. I will make sure I stay away from that area. 

4 minutes ago, motravelerken said:

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone. I would not pay for that for the whole week as I would not want to stay in one stationary location for the whole week. I was just curious if I would be allowed to "check it out" to see if I would be interested in paying for a cabana for one day. I will make sure I stay away from that area. 

It’s probably not going to be as busy as it would be in a warm climate.  The problem is some people abuse the privilege and bring some of their besties with them.  I’ve seen it on every cruise I’ve been on.  A cabana that’s supposed to have 2 now has four.  As a single and Canadian I pay a lot for mine.  I never ask them for anything other than my water to be cold and they can’t manage that because they are running from pillar to post with the extras.  It’s pretty frustrating.  You can see from the railing what it’s like.  Before I ever rented one I wouldn’t step foot in that area because I didn’t pay for it.

• Like 1

This is meant to be a "retreat" for those who paid the premium costs. So no drop-ins.  The other guest paid this price for certain expectations the space would be used only by other paying guests.

Entrance is by honor system, no key card but the stewards know who has paid for this retreat space. They will ask you to leave. 

You might want to think about chipping in and getting a four-person "family" cabana, so there are no issues for anyone and you can all use the space at will..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motravelerken said:

You don't have to spend every day in a cabana. You can come and go, do excursions or whatever else you want.

• Like 1

Hey @motravelerken that was a great question to ask since you haven't booked one before and this is the place to come for answers. How are we supposed to learn about things in which we have no experience if not from those who do?

So, thanks for being proactive and asking beforehand vs crashing the party. 🙂

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

I believe you can purchase a cabana for just one day rather than the whole week. It is quite likely that there will be cabanas available for daily rent on an Alaskan cruise. That would be a good way to check out what it’s like for a mere $55. 

• Like 1

I'll give you an alternative take based on our experience. We had cabanas on five different sailings when my wife's father traveled with us. (In his own stateroom.) He would pop in to the Retreat area to say hello, see what we were doing for lunch, what our plans for the day were, etc. Our cabana stewards never really said anything other than asking my wife, "Where papa was."

Her dad dropped by for short visits. We didn't make additional demands on the staff. (Also, we're nice. 😊)  If he was in the area for more than 10 minutes a day, I'd be surprised.

I really think the staff can tell the difference between an occasional brief visit and trying to cram extra guests into the cabana area. They will definitely know if you are trying to have more than 2 guests taking advantage of the services. So will other people in the area. I'm guessing Alaska will have less cabana demand, but I could be wrong.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, motravelerken said:

The deck stewards are always happy to give you a tour if you want. No need to book it without checking it out. Also, if not fully booked, you can book it by the day once on board.

We did an Alaska cruise last July on the Koningsdam. We popped in to the retreat area a few times and there was never anyone there. I mean zero people and no stewards. On an Alaska cruise I wouldn't hesitate to walk around out there while no one else is there. If you think you'll like it, book it for a day or longer. No worries about it being booked up.