Late boarding time? What to do?

sunnydreams

We completed our online checkin and got a later time. I’m stuck because we have to check out of our Airbnb earlier. I don’t want to waste money paying to store our bags and my mom can’t walk a ton anyways, so I can’t really drag her all over town. If we show up at the terminal early, what happens? 

We showed up early because that's when our parking shuttle got us there. They never checked our scheduled check-in time, even though I mentioned it was later. They just ushered us in. I imagine that might change from port to port, or even day to day, so I'd just go to the terminal and find out.

For most cruises, they won't start boarding until 11.  Getting there at 9:30 means you wait after check in, but maybe in a chair.  I haven't been to Athens port, so don't know the facility.

I would simply take your transportation to the terminal after you checkout Airbnb and join the line.  As stated, they rarely review the listed check in times. By the time you get there the line will be moving, and you should be fine.

When we sailed out of Southampton, I arranged a private transfer/tour so we stopped at Stonehenge and the Salisbury Cathedral on the way there.  The private car stored our luggage, and we had a lovely time.  If you have a private car, there wouldn't need to be much walking for your mom.  

You can also check with the Athens board to see if there is adequate seating for your mom at the Athens terminal (some cruise terminals are more comfortable for passengers to wait in than others, and hopefully they can let you know how much of a risk it is to bring her there on the chance that they actually enforce boarding times, which occurs sporadically).  Another possibility is contacting the NCL special services and asking them if there is a lounge where you mom can wait if the terminal is backed up.

LOL! I searched seating at Athens cruise terminal, and this was one of the results.

78789353320a4b8aa40d37c757f56808maxresdefault_lg.jpg

Reportedly there is lots of seating, but it fills up fast on embarkation days. No wheelchair service from the port itself, but you can arrange that through NCL.

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, sunnydreams said:

Sorry- Athens. In a couple weeks. Sunday. Got 1:00. Have to leave Airbnb at 11:00

Well, depending on the distance between your Airbnb and the port, it might take you 2 hours to get there with Athens traffic (if our experience is any guide!) 😝 You could also ask your host for a late checkout, we just did this over the weekend.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Haha 1

Couldn't get a late check out- tried already!

I am thinking we will take our time to leisurely go to the port. It looks like there is seating and we might just have to wait. Sounds like it might be air conditioned? I'm thinking of a taxi due to my Mom. I'd take the metro but I think it drops you a bit far from the port. 

Thank you all for the info- all much appreciated!

On 7/6/2023 at 7:53 AM, tony s said:

The metro and port are not that close, especially for the"mature" and those with mobility issues. I would spring for the cab in Athens. Make sure hotel calls it for you.

Taxi is good advice. You can also pre-book with the Welcome Pickups app. The port is actually in Piraeus-about 30m from Athens in normal traffic. Piraeus port has seating, but there is a good chance they will hand you a number and board you when you show up. Otherwise you could drop off your bags and grab a greek coffee in the town while waiting for your official time.