Newbie with a question....

rabx5

We are not sailing until November 2007. It is a family vacation in honor of my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. All the kids-their spouses and some grandchildren will be attending.

My question is this... My father in law walks with a walker but does not require a wheel chair (so far thank goodness) do they have special rooms that have the metal bars in the toilet and shower area? I know this will be a must for him.

My nephew is booking our cabins and I don't think he is even thinking about a special cabin for grandpa. If there are those kinds of rooms, are there some located on each deck? I think my nephew will try to keep us all close.

Ooops, another question. I thought I read somewhere that you can request a shower chair there. Is that true. I think he uses one at home.

Thank you so much,

Jodi

One more thing- we are on the Carnival Victory-Western Caribbean

I have not sailed with Carnival, however on the ships I have been on the only cabins with rails in the bathroom are the accessible cabins. I suggest that you see if you can reserve one for him and then get the other cabins near that one. I have always been able to get a shower chair. I use a walker (age 60) with wheels that has a seat I can use when I am tired. The ships are HUGE and you may find it a good idea to rent a scooter for him to cut down on his fatigue. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I don't know if Carnival offers this but on the Caribbean Princess last summer we did a renewal of vows that was very special after 35 years of marriage. Perhaps you family members would want to do that for their 50th.

I agree with Katisdale about the handicap cabin and the scooter.

A HC cabin would not only provide the bars he needs, but will also mean that he does not have to step up into the bathroom or shower. Call the Carnival special needs department about the shower seat. Most handicap cabins on the newer ships have built-in shower seats, but they should be able to provide you with a shower seat if he is not in a handicap cabin.

Placement of the handicap cabins varies by ship and Carnival does not indicate them on their deck plans. However, according to the Acccess Able website (which is not always correct), the Victory handicap cabins are 1405, 6402, 6429, 7218, 7219, 7394, 8404, 8407, 9215, 9216, 9285, 9286, 9291, 9292, 1007, 1008, 2452, 2453, 6205, 6206, 7203, 7204, 7205, 7206, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 6207 and 6208.

Even though he can get around with his walker, a scooter would not only provide him more mobility to get around the large ship, but it would also provide more safety if you hit rough waters. However, if he rents a scooter, he definitely will need a handicap cabin unless the rents one of the narrow ones.

Archived