Bad Seas, Reposition Cruise South against Peru (Humboldt) Current?

HappyKatya

We sail Dec 1, 2023 on Sapphire Princess' Pacific Reposition Cruise from Los Angeles going south one-way to Santiago, Chile; 18 days.

**Please: Would you be worried to sail south against the Peru Current (Humboldt Current) in the South Pacific? It flows north up the Pacific coast of Chile and Peru from Antartica toward the Equator.  South of the Equator, we have 9 sea days/sailing days.  [ Map at https://oceantracks.org/library/the-north-pacific-ocean/major-currents ]

We've been told the Peru Current is much weaker than its "mirror image," the furious California Current in the North Pacific (details of my North Pacific experience below)  Is that correct?  So we can sail South against the Peru Current for 18 days without bad high seas?

I'm ignorant about the South Pacific - but the analogy in the North Pacific is scary:

Since 1947, the annual Newport to Ensenada Yacht Race has carefully sailed one-way south to be with the powerful California Current, which flows south from Oregon to Mexico. I've sailed with a lot of these yacht captains; they always avoid sailing against this powerful current.  Boats are routinely shipped back on larger ships or by ground transport!

Then, we sailed Ruby Princess in 2018 from LA to Cabo, Mexico, lovely sailing south with the CA Current for 6 days. But horrible seas sailing back north to LA against this wild CA Current, even on such a large ship (3,500 guests).  Waves drenched the front of the ship, all pools were closed, everyone was nauseous.  Our steward said this happens every time on this route which is why the ship hurries back in a single day.  We don't want to be in that for 9 days of sea travel.

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

We will be on the exact same cruise in December.  We have done this itinerary before and had absolutely no bad seas--very calm.  That was in December also.  

Of course, no one can predict things like storms, etc., ahead of time, but I never even noticed any problems with the current.