What to do in Norfolk??

Thechamp555

I can give you a few ideas. If staying downtown close to the pier you could rent an electric bike and ride the 10 mile Elizabeth River trail catching it at the waterfront. It will take you along the Elizabeth river and if you stay on it past a park and through neighborhoods to the Hermitage museum which is a large old home open for self tours.  It sits on the river bank and has a nice garden to enjoy. Or take the bike on the paddle boat across the river to Portsmouth and ride along the waterfront there. Not as much to see in Portsmouth but a nice short ride. Another option downtown is Nauticus, a maritime museum that houses the battleship Wisconsin.  The ship interior is open for viewing.  Or a naval station boat ride tour on the Elizabeth River. 

There is also the Chrysler museum of art and hot glass studio which offers glass blowing demonstrations daily at noon I believe.  It is about a 15 minute walk from downtown thru a historical neighborhood and over a footbridge. There is a restaurant inside that has good food. 

If you like gardens the Norfolk botanical gardens are lovely; if too hot to walk around there is a hop on and off tram you can take around the garden. That location would require a car or Uber to access.  

And of course Virginia Beach has a great oceanfront with a boardwalk and bike path.  

3 minutes ago, Lizard13 said:

I can give you a few ideas. If staying downtown close to the pier you could rent an electric bike and ride the 10 mile Elizabeth River trail catching it at the waterfront. It will take you along the Elizabeth river and if you stay on it past a park and through neighborhoods to the Hermitage museum which is a large old home open for self tours.  It sits on the river bank and has a nice garden to enjoy. Or take the bike on the paddle boat across the river to Portsmouth and ride along the waterfront there. Not as much to see in Portsmouth but a nice short ride. Another option downtown is Nauticus, a maritime museum that houses the battleship Wisconsin.  The ship interior is open for viewing.  Or a naval station boat ride tour on the Elizabeth River. 

There is also the Chrysler museum of art and hot glass studio which offers glass blowing demonstrations daily at noon I believe.  It is about a 15 minute walk from downtown thru a historical neighborhood and over a footbridge. There is a restaurant inside that has good food. 

If you like gardens the Norfolk botanical gardens are lovely; if too hot to walk around there is a hop on and off tram you can take around the garden. That location would require a car or Uber to access.  

And of course Virginia Beach has a great oceanfront with a boardwalk and bike path.  

Thanks for the information. I like the ebike rides idea l because I'm already an owner of an ebike. How do you recommend the mode of transportation from the port to Virginia beach if we go ...?

Thank you

Germain , Québec 

34 minutes ago, Thechamp555 said:

The only option I can think of is taxi or Uber.  Public transportation is pitiful here.  Or you could ride the Tide, a monorail to the end of the line at the Va Beach border and Uber from there.

Edited by Lizard13
Add more info
  • Like 1