Old cruise line out of Port Canaveral....

I need a memory jog.  I remember taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral somewhere around 1990.  I cannot remember the cruiseline or the name of the ship.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't Premier Cruiselines (The Big Red Ship) because they joked about it being called Not The Big Red Ship.  Or did Premier have two ships operating out of Canaveral?  This ship was smaller than The Big Red Ship.

If I remember correctly, Premier was branded with Disney at the time.  This ship didn't have Disney characters, it had some other characters (maybe Universal Studios?).  

There was also another ship in the 1980's that did day cruises only out of Canaveral.  You could get a cabin for the day or just mill around the ship.  Can't remember the name of that one, either.  

Man, I'm getting old and the memory is fading.  Can anyone help me out?

On 7/7/2023 at 3:33 PM, GrannyJ said:

I need a memory jog.  I remember taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral somewhere around 1990.  I cannot remember the cruiseline or the name of the ship.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't Premier Cruiselines (The Big Red Ship) because they joked about it being called Not The Big Red Ship.  Or did Premier have two ships operating out of Canaveral?  This ship was smaller than The Big Red Ship.

If I remember correctly, Premier was branded with Disney at the time.  This ship didn't have Disney characters, it had some other characters (maybe Universal Studios?).  

There was also another ship in the 1980's that did day cruises only out of Canaveral.  You could get a cabin for the day or just mill around the ship.  Can't remember the name of that one, either.  

It was probably Cape Canaveral Cruise Line. They operated the former Dolphin IV, but that wasn't until '95. I'm not sure if Dolphin Cruise Line went from Port Canaveral in addition to Miami. I have an old brochure, I'll check if I find it.

The day cruise was SeaEscape. They basically started the cruise sensation that Port Canaveral has become. I went on the Scandanavian Sea sometime in the early 80s, though this was for, I believe, a one night cruise to Freeport. They did have day cruises though. I still remember that Bertie Higgins of "Key Largo" fame, was the entertainer.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:05 PM, zdcatc12 said:

It was probably Cape Canaveral Cruise Line. They operated the former Dolphin IV, but that wasn't until '95. I'm not sure if Dolphin Cruise Line went from Port Canaveral in addition to Miami. I have an old brochure, I'll check if I find it.

The day cruise was SeaEscape. They basically started the cruise sensation that Port Canaveral has become. I went on the Scandanavian Sea sometime in the early 80s, though this was for, I believe, a one night cruise to Freeport. They did have day cruises though. I still remember that Bertie Higgins of "Key Largo" fame, was the entertainer.

It was either Cape Canaveral Cruise Line or the Dolphin.  I wish I could remember.

I remember when one of the day-trip ships burned for weeks in Port Canaveral.  They'd put out the fire and then it would burst out again.  I believe it turned out that a young man who had been contracted as a firefighter (not associated with any local fire departments) had kept restarting the fire because he wanted to continue his employment.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2023 at 4:33 PM, GrannyJ said:

It most likely was Premier.  They operated about 5 ships, all old tonnage.  They were Disney partnered from 83 to 95.  They had Big Red Boat but the rest of the fleet was blue and white.  After the Disney agreement ended when Disney began their own cruise division they partnered with Warner Bros and Looney Tunes. 

FYI, Dodge Island based Dolphin Cruise was bought by premier in 1997.