Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

Let me go WAY OFF TOPIC on my own thread.

So, I've noticed a vocabulary discrepancy that's used more and more in cruise vernacular..

"DE" in front of any word means literally the undoing of a previous action. Deinstall (reverse an installation).  Deregulate (reversal of a previous regulation).   Or, if a tree has bark, to "debark" it would mean to remove its bark.

So, if you "barked", to stop "barking" you would "debark".

"Dis" means to remove or reverse.  So, if you "Disembarked", you would leave or reverse your "embarking".

I suppose if you really wanted to use "de" as you're disembarking, you would "de-embark", but that's klutzy.

But, to "debark" means to either quit barking or to remove bark from a tree.  You wouldn't disbark, right?

Disembarkation would mean you are removing yourself from the ship....or, reverse your embarkation.

See how much of a tizzy that sends some folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Let me go WAY OFF TOPIC on my own thread.

So, I've noticed a vocabulary discrepancy that's used more and more in cruise vernacular..

"DE" in front of any word means literally the undoing of a previous action. Deinstall (reverse an installation).  Deregulate (reversal of a previous regulation).   Or, if a tree has bark, to "debark" it would mean to remove its bark.

So, if you "barked", to stop "barking" you would "debark".

"Dis" means to remove or reverse.  So, if you "Disembarked", you would leave or reverse your "embarking".

I suppose if you really wanted to use "de" as you're disembarking, you would "de-embark", but that's klutzy.

But, to "debark" means to either quit barking or to remove bark from a tree.  You wouldn't disbark, right?

Disembarkation would mean you are removing yourself from the ship....or, reverse your embarkation.

See how much of a tizzy that sends some folks.

I'm proud to say I sent someone into a tizzy by leaving off the DIS earlier this week. So far as I'm concerned, that's a point for me. 🎅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

@graphicguy if you are still looking for a Prima cruise, we are going on the Prima transatlantic on April 27.  15 glorious days! 

Thanks!  Sounds fab.  Would love to join you.

But, I’m actually looking for a shorter, easy in-easy out cruise.  7-day….Galveston is a direct flight from CVG for me.  So, that’s attractive.  Fares in January/February look pretty good, too.

On a side note, thanks to all who forwarded their TA info to me.  Much appreciated. 

I think I’ve found a new one that’s going to work.

Had my prior TA for many years (probably 10?).  She was good.  Not sure what’s going on, but she seems to be unavailable a lot recently.  Who knows?  Maybe she just doesn’t like working with me, anymore?  I like to think I’m a pretty easy client.  I pick out one or two cruises.  I do the research on them.  i ask for a quote, and 90% of the time book one of the ones I identified.  Can’t get much simpler than that, or at least I thought so.

Speaking of which, I’ve dealt with a few this week who should probably find a different line of work.  They aren’t very adept as a TA and seem to be quite befuddled by technology.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Two weeks after disembarkation, and I'm scoping out my next cruise.

Looking at fares at MSC, I don't see the "bargains" either.  Nix them.

Celebrity?  Whoa!  Their fares have really gone up since I last sailed them a few years ago.

Royal?  Carnival?  Not in the mood for either.

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and we have to agree with you.  We were preparing to book our next cruise in the Retreat section and WOW - the prices.  Putting it on hold now.

Agree about MSC - prices aren't that great.

And who has the patients for Carnival or Royal.

So we are now in the process of researching the Haven on Norwegian.  And we are very close to booking our first cruise on Norwegian.

Loved your review!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and we have to agree with you.  We were preparing to book our next cruise in the Retreat section and WOW - the prices.  Putting it on hold now.

Agree about MSC - prices aren't that great.

And who has the patients for Carnival or Royal.

So we are now in the process of researching the Haven on Norwegian.  And we are very close to booking our first cruise on Norwegian.

Loved your review!!!

Love Celebrity’s Retreat….very similar between Haven and Retreat.  Can’t go wrong either way.  Be willing to answer questions as I’ve sailed both.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, graphicguy said:

I can’t stress this enough, particularly for a longer Mediterranean cruise…PACK LITE!

Schlogging big and/or lots of luggage to/from/through the airports, ship, transports is a terrible way to begin and/or end your cruise.

Plus, I guarantee not one single person remembers what you wore (or did not wear) on your cruise!

I thought I traveled lite.  I’ve now rethought my packing and will cut back even more on my next cruise!

SO TRUE!  Just returned from 17 days in Europe, including 11 nights on a cruise.  I use one checked bag and a rollaboard, no extra anything.  I could have done it just as well with 33% less stuff.  My checked bag on the way home weighed 39 pounds; 25 pounds is a much better goal for me.  I think my basic 'wardrobe' was OK, just need less of everything.  Probably the only way I'll accomplish this is a smaller bag, forcing fewer shoes and far fewer 'accessories'.  As I get older, I'm less inclined to 'do dinner' because I'm just tired at the end of the day, so for sure need to pack fewer dressy items.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

SO TRUE!  Just returned from 17 days in Europe, including 11 nights on a cruise.  I use one checked bag and a rollaboard, no extra anything.  I could have done it just as well with 33% less stuff.  My checked bag on the way home weighed 39 pounds; 25 pounds is a much better goal for me.  I think my basic 'wardrobe' was OK, just need less of everything.  Probably the only way I'll accomplish this is a smaller bag, forcing fewer shoes and far fewer 'accessories'.  As I get older, I'm less inclined to 'do dinner' because I'm just tired at the end of the day, so for sure need to pack fewer dressy items.  

AMEN!

On NCL, if you dine on a ship with outdoor seating at a specialty restaurant (Waterfront), you don’t even have to wear long pants (for men) if you dine al fresco.  That’s something I always take advantage of.

Planning to book a Prima cruise early 2024 using CN certs.  Looking for an easy embarkation-disembarkation.  So,  looking at Caribbean ports out of Galveston.

But, although the days should be warm, the nites will be cool, at least in Galveston.  Thinking shorts and short sleeves all the way, maybe wear a hoodie to the airport.  One pair of tennis shoes and a pair of Crocs.  Easy overhead roll aboard and back pack trip.

Fingers crossed, I can get the rollaboard weight to under 30 lbs.

Hoping to pull the trigger today.

• Like 5