Sitting a large family at the same table in MDR possible?

We are traveling with our whole family (13 of us) on Symphony. Two are small children, I was told the largest table only seats 12, but we feel that we can squeeze in to fit all 13 of us! Will that be allowed? I have requested tables before through an email to RCL Dining, will that work, or will I need to wait until we board?

Thanks for any information! 

Go ahead and request via phone or email. If given your choice, be sure to get a written confirmation.   No matter what, go directly to the dining room once on board. Chat with staff to confirm/make the reservation .  Include your preferred time as well.  You should also be able to check out your table at that time.  Ask nicely. 😉

• Like 2

Well, Royal once made us sit 5 at a table for 4 (which is much tighter quarters to give up space on), so they can do 13 at a 12 if they want to! Moved a couple over to our table with three so that another couple could have a table of 4 all to themselves. It was a squeeze with strangers when it wasn't by choice. I was always tempted to go talk to that couple to point out how they majorly inconvenienced others, but figured they were spoiled/entitled and wouldn't care. I'm guessing they were suite or pinnacle passengers who wanted to eat in the MDR? Still irks me when I think about it. Going forward we'll do specialty or MTD, so at least we're not stuck for an entire cruise.

56 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

Well, Royal once made us sit 5 at a table for 4 (which is much tighter quarters to give up space on), so they can do 13 at a 12 if they want to! Moved a couple over to our table with three so that another couple could have a table of 4 all to themselves. It was a squeeze with strangers when it wasn't by choice. I was always tempted to go talk to that couple to point out how they majorly inconvenienced others, but figured they were spoiled/entitled and wouldn't care. I'm guessing they were suite or pinnacle passengers who wanted to eat in the MDR? Still irks me when I think about it. Going forward we'll do specialty or MTD, so at least we're not stuck for an entire cruise.

They once tried to do that to use (7 at a table for 6) and we all came together - we did complain after night one, it was just too tight a squeeze where that table was and we got a terrific table the rest of the week.  This was many moons ago so I don't know how much they'd accommodate now, and now it tends to be just DH and I travelling so we do WJ or MTD for just 2!

I recently got off a cruise in which we went with a large family (roughly 30)

Prior we emailed several times with everyone's reservation numbers and linked all the reservations. 

On embarkation day we went to the MDR to confirm and were told they would see what they could do but asked everyone to go to dinner the first night and then ask for the head waiter with all the room numbers instead of the reservations. 

We did this and were told it's a large party and would see what they could do.  One family member was in a section all alone and asked if everyone could be moved there. 

Long story short they did not accommodate it. 

In the future, I would also call and ask for confirmation that it is being done. Part of it likely comes down to the head waiter too. We saw other large groups sat together throughout the cruise by different head waiters but appeared ours was not interested in making any changes. 

5 hours ago, sheezsmith said:

We are traveling with our whole family (13 of us) on Symphony. Two are small children, I was told the largest table only seats 12, but we feel that we can squeeze in to fit all 13 of us! Will that be allowed? I have requested tables before through an email to RCL Dining, will that work, or will I need to wait until we board?

You can tell them what you want and they will accommodate it. 

BUT,,, when we travel as a group, we schedule n1 or 2 group dinners. We have found that the younger folks prefer to eat on their own at buffets and specialty dining. And actually resent when we try to force them to do group dining. Those days are long gone. 

We were a group of 13 on a family cruise with MTD.  We made reservations ahead of time and linked all the rooms prior to boarding.  I didn't think we would all be able to sit together since we were such a large group, but we went the first night and they were able to accommodate us with a small wait. After that we had a set time to come and they always had "our" table ready for us.  It was a great time even for the kids.  They enjoyed getting dressed up for dinner (except our 15 year old grandson) but he did wear a suit for formal night 🙂  Threats of death may have been made by his parents.  Now all the grandkids are asking when they can go on another cruise. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sheezsmith said:

Just curious and with all due respect, we wonder if you have done this type of seating before?  If you haven't, keep in mind that it will be quite difficult to make conversation with so many people seated so close together.  Also, serving that many in your party at the same time may be too big a press for the staff and take a toll on  service.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KSprite01 said:

Well, Royal once made us sit 5 at a table for 4 (which is much tighter quarters to give up space on), so they can do 13 at a 12 if they want to! Moved a couple over to our table with three so that another couple could have a table of 4 all to themselves. It was a squeeze with strangers when it wasn't by choice. I was always tempted to go talk to that couple to point out how they majorly inconvenienced others, but figured they were spoiled/entitled and wouldn't care. I'm guessing they were suite or pinnacle passengers who wanted to eat in the MDR? Still irks me when I think about it.

Why in the world did you put up with this?? being squeezed like that with strangers???  No way,  we would have been talking to the Dining room officer immediately.