How long have passport renewals been taking?

Our family is looking at booking a cruise next spring, but one room is on the fence. If we book the refundable deposit for that room, do we get back the full $500 or do they just send the difference in what the amount of the refundable? In this case, the refundable will cost an extra $138, so would they subtract $138 from the $500 to refund? Hope this isn't too confusing!

19 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

The confusing part is the thread title.  😄

I SWEAR that is NOT the title that I typed in! That was my last question about a cruise we took in Feb.... not sure how it changed & there's no way to delete it. Sorry!

• Haha 2

No, they will not subtract the $138, and they should get the full $500 back. Refundable is full money back of whatever has been paid if cancelled before final payment. The deposit required doesn’t change whether it’s refundable or non-refundable fare. The making it refundable ($138) is just added to the total cost of the cruise.

• Like 1

You'll get the whole $500 back as long as you cancel before the final payment date. The $138 just makes your final payment $138 more expensive. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

I just put deposits on 2 cruises (back-to-back) that charged $450 each to make them refundable, and I thought it was worth it. The cruises aren't until next year and I'm willing to pay $900 more for the option to change my plans, rather than forking over an $1800 deposit and being required to leave it earmarked for another cruise or losing it altogether if I want to do something else.

I prefer to have the flexibility of changing my mind. I look at the lower price as the discount for being willing to sacrifice the flexibility, rather than looking at the extra cost as a penalty. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1