How early have you had GTY cabin assigned?

On 7/12/2023 at 1:52 PM, StrikeEagle said:

I'm wondering the reason for GTY cabins assignment lately is about 1 month before sailings have to do with the Royal Up.   Competion GTY cabin assignments and trying get more money from vacancy cabins through Royal  Up.

Minimum bid on balconies on our Sept. 3rd cruise went from $175 to $195 within a week.  They opened balconies to guarantee for $499 pp today!  So when I ran a mockup it ended up $200 cheaper than our inside cabin cost us initially!  We really got a deal! $82 and the Royal Up minimum would've cost us $390 and then we might not have even won our bid!  This was great!

5 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Anyone have experience with switching cabins after assignment?  There are Boardwalk balconies on 3 decks I'd prefer to switch to deck 9 Ocean views.

You can switch to any cabin in the same exact category for free. Switching to an OV would be upgrading, not switching. You'd have to call and ask how much it would cost (or have your TA do it if you used one).

• Like 1

On a mockup now and guess what?  They took the balconies OFF the Guarantee already!  OMG! Am I glad we snagged it at $499pp, now $1515 pp.  Wow, lots of peeps responded to this deal!  Well now just to wait until next Saturday when checkin opens to see if we've been assigned.  I'll be more than happy with a Boardwalk in any event.

Just checked again and a lot of the Boardwalk cabins that were available this morning are now gone, so I would bet $$ we got one.  It's OK, happy we're there instead of inside for so little.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth????

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Booked Suite GTY in May 2022 for an October 2023 sailing on Brilliance, which has since been changed to Enchantment.  Final payment was Tuesday.  Still waiting.

It seems to be one end of the spectrum or the other, from what I am reading.  In about 90% of cases you find out either within a week after booking or within a week before sailing.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:52 PM, OCSC Mike said:

You can switch to any cabin in the same exact category for free. Switching to an OV would be upgrading, not switching. You'd have to call and ask how much it would cost (or have your TA do it if you used one).

Here's a question for you Mike.  So our GTY has been showing as our old INTERIOR CABIN on our Royal Up bid page.  This morning it reflects OCEAN VIEW BALCONY GTY.  I am interpreting that to mean we are getting an outside cabin not a Boardwalk neighborhood cabin (as that is the term describing the Boardwalk Balconies).  All the outside facing balconies are labeled OCEAN VIEW BALCONY.  Do you think I'm right?  Also, your formula with the code comes of the Set Sail Pass.  Sometimes you don't get those docs on Checkin day right?  Seems like I remember getting them later after I filled out the Check In info...so how can I see the cabin #?

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Here's a question for you Mike.  So our GTY has been showing as our old INTERIOR CABIN on our Royal Up bid page.  This morning it reflects OCEAN VIEW BALCONY GTY.  I am interpreting that to mean we are getting an outside cabin not a Boardwalk neighborhood cabin (as that is the term describing the Boardwalk Balconies).  All the outside facing balconies are labeled OCEAN VIEW BALCONY.  Do you think I'm right?  Also, your formula with the code comes of the Set Sail Pass.  Sometimes you don't get those docs on Checkin day right?  Seems like I remember getting them later after I filled out the Check In info...so how can I see the cabin #?

AFAIK, OV Balcony GTY means facing the ocean not a neighborhood, like you said, but this is a bit confusing and I wouldn't 100% trust the RU page b/c that's a 3rd party site.

As soon as you check in (45 days out) you should be able to see your set-sail pass in the app. You don't get the docs (including your luggage tags) until 30 days out but you should be able to use the bar code trick as soon as you check in.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 3:56 AM, amby6063 said:

Curious to hear about early cabin assignments with gty balconies! Just booked symphony for January 2024 balcony gty for 4. There are only 2 Central Park, and 9 boardwalk cabins showing as available right now, but a ton of ocean view cabins. 

I’ve seen some stories about early cabin assignment, is that really a thing? This is my first time booking gty, but was worth it to save well over $1200! 

Mine was scheduled 32 days before sail date. 2 days after I booked!

Had 3 "Guarantee" bookings in the last 8 months and all of them confirmed within a couple of days. Booked one the day before yesterday and it firmed up yesterday evening about 30 hours later! So far we've been very pleased with all of them. Of the two we have sailed, one subsequently won a "Royal up" from a JS to a GS, which is obviously a matter of luck, but only made the deal even sweeter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetdriver787 said:

Had 3 "Guarantee" bookings in the last 8 months and all of them confirmed within a couple of days. Booked one the day before yesterday and it firmed up yesterday evening about 30 hours later! So far we've been very pleased with all of them. Of the two we have sailed, one subsequently won a "Royal up" from a JS to a GS, which is obviously a matter of luck, but only made the deal even sweeter.

That’s quick! How far out were you booking? We have 3 gty cabins for the same cruise (Jan 2024) so I have lots to check daily to waste time at least! Haha 😀

• Like 1

11 hours ago, amby6063 said:

That’s quick! How far out were you booking? We have 3 gty cabins for the same cruise (Jan 2024) so I have lots to check daily to waste time at least! Haha 😀

I understand the barcode trick but barring that or calling them, how do you know when cabin is assigned? 

We had a GTY for Jewel Artic/Fjords cruise this past June.

We literally did not get our room assignment until 3 days before cruise. We were on flight to Europe when we received assignment. LOL.

We ended up in an oversize balcony they considered obstructed. We literally got this room for the price of a GTD inside cabin.  

image.thumb.png.f4e59ce43ff7ba30cba4458aba841462.png

• Like 1

Today, day before check in there are only 2 Central Park balconies (those were cancellations because they were not available Saturday) and 1 outside balcony.  The only cabins left on the ship are window cabins just 8 of them.  So this ship is booked to the max.  Of course they'll retain a handful for emergencies, but she's packed.  Should be interesting tomorrow when we find out where they put us...I'm so excited, this is the cheapest balcony we have in many years.  Back in the day, we got a couple below $1000 but they were flukes.  Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

Here's another rhetorical for you...GTY says "or better".   Has anyone ever gotten assigned a better category...in other words oops they ran out of Balcony category so you went up to a suite, even JR.  There is only 1 JR suite left on this ship, but the Aqua Theater is available and 6 Crown lofts over the sports deck.  Suite GTY is $2394 pper.  Would that be something??

Edited by BecciBoo

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Should be interesting tomorrow when we find out where they put us...I'm so excited, this is the cheapest balcony we have in many years.  Back in the day, we got a couple below $1000 but they were flukes.

Looking forward to hearing what you get. Nice to see some people are still finding random great deals.

Being mostly restricted to spring break and summer and choosing to only sail from PC out of convenience, I'm happy to get anything I now consider reasonable on Wonder. I've given up on actual deals, lol.

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

Here's another rhetorical for you...GTY says "or better".   Has anyone ever gotten assigned a better category...in other words oops they ran out of Balcony category so you went up to a suite, even JR.  There is only 1 JR suite left on this ship, but the Aqua Theater is available and 6 Crown lofts over the sports deck.  Would that be something??

Of our many interior GTY's... we got a virtual balcony once, lol. Huge upgrade, I know.

Now that they have RoyalUp, it's unlikely to get a significant upgrade IMO. They'll "sell" the suites to bidders and give you your balcony.

• Like 1

But if some joe blow books the only balcony left and we're not assigned what do they do?

In fact, thats how we got one of our virtual interior GTY on Navi back in the day.  They released a few rooms THE DAY BEFORE BOARDING really cheap, so I jumped on it, it was serendipity.  We grabbed my Inlaws and all 4 of us dropped everything to go.  It was a fun cruise too.  Didn't know what cabin until we were pulling into the terminal the next morning.  It was a 5 day.  They had just installed the new virtual cabins as testing and we got to meet the people who installed them.  I was so pleased we got to experience that.

Edited by BecciBoo

But if some joe blow books the only balcony left and we're not assigned what do they do?

They can wait until very close to your sail date to assign you. When you try the bar code trick tomorrow you may see "GTY" instead of a cabin number.

Not trying to be a downer, just going off what I know. That said, the RoyalUp process is quite mysterious and the assigning of GTY's is also full of variables who knows?

No problem, I love stuff like this, I'm a Do seek the treasure kinda gal.

I probably mentioned this before, but now that we book farther out with a TA and get to choose our cabin (for significantly less than GTY's on the RC site), part of me misses the anticipation of finding out where we have been assigned. Then I remember the one time we almost got stuck in a location we really don't care for and the fact that ships are sailing so full... and I'm happy to have chosen my cabin, lol.

4 hours ago, trajan said:

I understand the barcode trick but barring that or calling them, how do you know when cabin is assigned? 

I’ve just been logging in to see if it says a cabin number instead of GTY. Not sure if it works with early assignments or not, but it’s fun to check 😂 helps count down the days until vacation! 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, amby6063 said:

One was booked about 6 months out and the other two have been within 4 weeks of sailing. You will get an email telling you there has been a change to your booking once it is assigned. Other than that, you can just check the booking reference online and it will show up there once it has been assigned.

• Like 1