Seabourn "PREFERRED LIMITED UPGRADE SPECIAL"

caviarforme

We board in 5 days and I have been offered a paid upgrade from Penthouse to Wintergarden suite at approximately a 55% discount on the normal price differential. It is also a surprise trip for my wife for a special ?0th birthday

Urgent views please!!!!!

6 minutes ago, fudge said:

We were invited to a party in one last year, fantastic suite, there was a waiter there serving drinks, there was at least 12 of us in there

Fudge,

Thanks - I have heard people turning down the paid upgrade but getting it free on boarding! AGamble.

1 hour ago, caviarforme said:

We board in 5 days and I have been offered a paid upgrade from Penthouse to Wintergarden suite at approximately a 55% discount on the normal price differential. It is also a surprise trip for my wife for a special ?0th birthday

Urgent views please!!!!!

You only live once.

If it seems good value then why not

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caviarforme said:

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice - I have booked it!

Very good decision! We booked the Wintergarden for our Manaus to Monte Carlo cruise, and never regretted it. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, caviarforme said:

Dear all, thanks for your advice - upgrade to the Wintergarden was worth every penny and a wonderful surprise for Mrs Caviarforme.

Problem for future is nothing else compares having stayed in Wintergarden Suite  😀

• Like 1

I received two of these "Preferred Limited Upgrade Special" emails over the past couple months for my upcoming Sept 3 cruise from Athens-Haifa.  The asking price for an upgrade to a signature suite was insane, and per person it was same price we paid per person for the cruise!  I could see upgrading with a more reasonable asking price like $1000 per person, but not $4200 per person! 

46 minutes ago, ciaoYacht said:

I received two of these "Preferred Limited Upgrade Special" emails over the past couple months for my upcoming Sept 3 cruise from Athens-Haifa.  The asking price for an upgrade to a signature suite was insane, and per person it was same price we paid per person for the cruise!  I could see upgrading with a more reasonable asking price like $1000 per person, but not $4200 per person! 

Many people would see the offer you received  as a bargain.  Cost of a Verandah to Signature or Wintergarden can be triple or quadruple on some cruises.

Why would they possibly offer an asking price of $1000? What you think is reasonable, many would consider very reasonable.

It is individual choice if you want to book a top suite and pay for it. If I ever found they were offering an upgrade to one of the top suites for $1000, I would never book their top suites again ( currently have 3 cruises booked in Wintergarden) and I know most of my friends would react in the same way. Seabourn need to balance offering their upgrades with maintaining people who book at full price.

2 minutes ago, Love dubai said:

Many people would see the offer you received  as a bargain.  Cost of a Verandah to Signature or Wintergarden can be triple or quadruple on some cruises.

Why would they possibly offer an asking price of $1000? What you think is reasonable, many would consider very reasonable.

It is individual choice if you want to book a top suite and pay for it. If I ever found they were offering an upgrade to one of the top suites for $1000, I would never book their top suites again ( currently have 3 cruises booked in Wintergarden) and I know most of my friends would react in the same way. Seabourn need to balance offering their upgrades with maintaining people who book at full price.

That's great if people consider that a bargain!  But if I wanted to pay that much, I would have just booked that suite for less money than the total upgrade price when I booked my original room.  It would have been cheaper that way!  This is hardly an "upgrade special" - it's more so a tactic to get others to move to higher cost rooms so that they can fill the cheaper "best available" rooms.  Let's call it what it is.

From a business perspective, Seabourn can choose whatever tactics they'd like to get the most money out of customers as they can.  It would be wise to price these rooms that much if people continue to buy them.  But it's not for me.  If I want a certain room, I book it... and maybe I can be convinced to get an upgrade if it's truly for a "special" price.  Further, with respect to pricing upgrades as a deal, airlines do this all the time.  They sell first class tickets for an extremely high amount if you book early, and often offer day of upgrades for much much less.