Do ship excursions ever go on sale?

xcell

Just curious if ship excursions ever go on sale?

Or is it less expensive before the cruise?

And lastly, if I change my mind, can I cancel onboard and credit me back or give an OBC?

Have never seen excursion sales!  It is almost always less expensive to book online before the cruise. Usually, it runs 15-20% higher on board.  We cancelled only once while onboard, and we were given OBC.  I think that was the only option.

Edited by JAGR

On 6 MSC cruises I have never seen a sale on excursions. Purchasing before you sail is the cheapest option I have seen. Once onboard the excursions have always been more expensive.  

I have canceled a pre-purchased excursion prior to sailing and it was refunded back to my credit card within 3-4 weeks. One pre-purchased excursion was canceled by MSC during a cruise. It was credited to my onboard account and refunded shortly after the cruise ended since I did not use up the full amount of the cancelled excursion.

As others have stated, I have never seen an excursions sale. The only time I've had an excursion cancelled was for to our ship not being allowed to dock in a port. The credit was made to our onboard account and a refund made in cash at the end of the cruise. It was a pre booked excursion and paid by credit card in advance 

I have sailing and snorkeling shore-x canceled due to weather/high winds (sailing) but the ship was able to dock.

Got an early morning letter under the door with the notice it was canceled come to the Shore-X desk or meet a Shore-X person on the pier to book another type or I would just get a refundable OBC.  (Not a MSC concept). 

Not having sailed on MSC in the US, I am not sure what their pricepoint is. But the excursion prices in Europe are VERY reasonably priced. We have five excursions booked for our upcoming MSC cruise from Hamburg in September and the cost is USD $283.00/pp. That would pay for two excursions on HAL or Carnival.

Hi @xcell I've been on 5 MSC cruises now and they have never offered sales onboard on excursions.

it's always better to book before boarding. The only excursions they offer onboard you don't seem able to buy is the ship behind the scenes tour.

Before boarding they sometimes offer an "excursions explorer package" which is supposedly a trio of their most popular excursions which combined are slightly cheaper. It seems random if that option turns up.