Some thoughts I hope will be discussed....

Please forgive the "duplicate post" as my first query may have gone into the wrong thread....

Mr. Rodriguez,

Thank you for making yourself available on this forum! I am booked on the World Traveller for Antarctica in January. It is my first-time cruising with your line, but not the first small ship specialty cruise I have done. It is from this perspective that I hope you can speak to several concerns that have arisen about Atlas Ocean Voyages (AOV) during my experience thus far that seem to echo concerns mentioned on this and other forums from prospective and past customers.

Information:

All of my initial contacts with AOV have been shunted to Avoya Travel, who in turn hands them off to independent agents. I acknowledge that travel agents are an important link, but in this day and age one should be able to handle a booking directly with AOV as they can with other lines. The independent agent I ended up with I feel is lacking in any in-depth knowledge of AOV in particular and has resulted in much frustration in just getting basic information such as which pre-cruise hotel is being used? How is AOV handling transfers? Time and scheduling of charters? While it may not seem like a big deal this far out, it does become one when other parts of the trip can not be finalized without those components being known. The frustration comes from being told they have to ask AOV and get back to me… heck, I wish I could call and just speak with AOV directly! Other lines have the capacity to deal directly with their customer. It is do-able. I feel AOV would benefit from exploring this approach further.

Pre-Cruise Communication:

This is perhaps the biggest recurring issue mentioned in forums and I have experienced myself. Your passenger portal allows for passport and personal details to be entered, but one can not access invoicing, confirmation, details, etc. from it. It would be helpful if that could be made available. How about considering a “welcome aboard” e-mail? A “Constant Contact” type email periodically? Such contact helps to reinforce passenger confidence and builds a level of communication that is currently lacking. Indeed, between the item above and this one, I have come very close to cancelling and just booking with another line. However, as I’ll detail below, I am still hanging in there!

Suite “Perks”:

There aren’t many as it sits now that can be confirmed (FYI, I’ve booked the Navigator Suite). There was a mention of increased WIFI access (currently mentioned on your website) – but no one can confirm that. There was a mention of courtesy laundry service also mentioned on your website – but no one knows any details of that. These are the most expensive accommodations and it would behoove AOV to “sell” them as a cut above! Consider clarifying the above points, but also consider the following:

a) expand WIFI if the ships are technically capable of it (some lines are using Starlink and advertising unlimited WIFI – so it is possible).

b) increase the luggage allowance on the charter flights for suite passengers to be in line with prevailing 1st class airline allowances (no one booking a suite is traveling to Argentina in the cheap seats! And the equipment used on the charters is easily capable of accommodating this - at least to Ushuia).

c) Perhaps a separate reception or event on-board? Seems common on other lines….

Please take this as constructive input! I have watched AOV since it’s inception and have really been a fan of your ships (I often first select the SHIP rather than the line…). Indeed, passengers who have posted reviews of sailing with you have almost unanimously stated it was a superb experience (pre-cruise communication notwithstanding). I feel you have outstanding ships, a great product, strong positioning, and have the chance to build a strong customer following. There is a saying “you only get one chance to make a first impression!”

Respectfully,

Michael Austin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

To add a recent example in the "information" and "pre-cruise communication"  items:

I contacted my TA needing information on the charter flights from BA to Ushuia and the return to coordinate transfers. Was told that the outbound charter leaves at 8:00 AM; the post cruise leaves at 4:30 PM. That was it.

Still insufficient to finalize plans without actual carrier and flight number information, since the transfer companies track by flight. It also raised more questions... the 8:00 AM departure... is that when the flight departs? Is that when the presumed AOV transfer bus picks us up at the hotel? If indeed an 8:00 AM flight departure time, and assuming the standard "arrive at airport 1 hour earlier", and BA traffic from the AOV Hotel can run around 1 to 1 1/2 hours, that would mean a departure from the hotel at 5:00 to 5:30 AM?! Embarkation boarding doesn't start until around 6:00 PM or so in the evening - what is everyone going to do all day? Are we on our own? Any arrangements to transfer luggage while we wander around Ushuia? No one knows! So something isn't adding up or sounds right based on the travel times stated alone. 

So.... more questions:

1) What does the 8:00 AM departure mean? No one seems to have details to clarify.

2) Confirmation on if AOV is providing transfer from their hotel to the charter. Again, so one can confirm.

3) Actual carrier and flight info? No one seems to know that information.

4) Arrival time of post cruise charter... if it leaves Usuhia at 4:30 the arrival time will necessitate a late check-in at my booked accommodations, which I can take care of, but again no one knows the details of any of this.

Sadly, this seems typical whenever necessary information is sought. Either it is not known, or will be available "later", or the "answer" just begs more questions and is not complete. Having organized dozens of international trips, some quite complex (I produce travel videos), I can state from experience this has certainly been one of the more frustrating and aggravating trips to plan simply because of this information "black hole." As a customer, I think it would be appropriate to have ALL of these details known prior to the deadline for final payment which is rapidly approaching OR be provided with a finite date by which AOV can deliver these details which can and should be in advance of any final payment date.

I should add that I am not looking for a solution to my individual questions (though it would be nice, I'll continue to "work through channels") rather I am sharing the experience as an example that seems to be typical stemming from a chronic lack of information and/or communication deficiencies that punctuate interactions with AOV. It is THAT overarching concern (reinforced by my most recent example, above) that I hope can be addressed.

Michael_A,

The team is excited to welcome you aboard in January. 

As you stated, we value our Travel Advisors tremendously and continue to encourage our guests to work with their trusted resource for their travel planning needs.  For those guests that need to reach us directly or to discuss general booking details, we’re happy to help, and the team is available at 1.844.442.8527 and by selecting option #1 (this is our travel advisor line, and you may use this to reach our contact center team). You may also email our team directly at info@atlasoceanvoyages.com. 

Regarding the pre-cruise communications, I have brought on a Guest Experience manager, and one of their priorities is to work on enhancing our booked guest communications.  Several details are finalized closer to the voyage, and we’re working towards communicating these details 120 days before sailing.  I.e., charter flight times, pre-cruise hotel information, etc.  We’re also working on enhancing the initial Welcome communication sent shortly after booking to better outline when these additional details will be communicated.  

For our suite guests, we currently offer the butler service amenity, an enhanced room service menu option, and a complimentary bag of laundry service offered once every seven days. There are no Wi-Fi distinctions for suite guests at this time. Given your feedback, I have asked the team to communicate these details across the contact center and our sales team to ensure everyone is accurately informed of these value-added inclusions for suite guests.

Atlas will provide ground transportation from the included hotel in Buenos Aires to the airport for the private charter flight.   

James

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, James, and the AOV team for taking the time to answer not only my post, but also responding to every post that was in the forum. Opening yourselves up in this format is risky, and it speaks highly of AOV for being willing to hear comments, good and bad, and (hopefully) be willing to act and build upon them. 👍