Alaska on Crown Princess June 2, 2023

PurpleTraveller

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I struggled with the dining room "keepers" also! I wanted a private table that wasn't immediately next to another table (that long row of tables that have bench sitting). I eventually found a Restaurant Manager on Deck 6 that would help. I would show up and the woman would tell me I would have an 1-2 hour wait. He would then see me and find a table quickly for me. He got a nice tip! I have never struggled with dining like I did on the Crown.

I wonder if it was Sergio. He’s the one who was brought back early. He recognized us from the Royal in January. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I’m sorry you had such an experience but I’m glad they made it right for you. We also had strange experiences at Boticcelli. I had made reservations for the same time every night and requested the same table for 2. The first night it was, that’s right, table 89! The next night they seated us at table 90. I asked why as 89 was free (it is a quiet nice table by the wall) and we preferred it, and table 90 had different wait staff. She said 89 wasn’t free and was reserved for someone else. I insisted I had requested the same table nightly and she said it simply wasn’t free. We sat at 90 and decided to deal with it after dinner. 5 minutes later they bring another couple near us and they don’t like the table they’re offered and ask for table 89 instead, and they give it to them! I was a little perturbed at this and went to the front desk and asked nicely if I could have 89 every night. She said yes and gave me a “ticket” with our room, table and time on it. 
Every evening people with tickets were told to just walk in directly to their tables so we did. For the next 3 evenings at some point they walked people to our table saw us there and turned them around. This happened with some of the tables around us too. That dining room has some real management issues, but the food was great!

We were told that the ship is currently without a hotel manager so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. We also met one of our dining room hosts from the Royal who said he was called back early from his vacation to come and work in Da Vinci as they were short staffed.

What are the chances that you also had table 89! 😀 

Interesting to hear that it was a good table location as we never did get to see where it is. Glad that you enjoyed the table and great food.

Also interesting that they didn't have a hotel manager and are bringing back crew early from their vacations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I wonder if it was Sergio. He’s the one who was brought back early. He recognized us from the Royal in January. 

I think it was Matt or a similar name. Very nice gentleman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Saturday June 3 - Sea Day, Inside Passage Part 2

At 6.00pm we went to have dinner at Botticelli Dining Room. We had made a reservation for each night of the cruise for a table for two at 6.00pm. It was formal night and we were seated at table ten. We had a nice meal and as I have a food allergy arrangements were made to preorder my meal for the following evening. We asked if we could be seated at table ten for the remainder of the cruise so that I wouldn't have to explain my food allergy every night and was told to talk to the hostess at the front desk.

On our way out we went to the front desk and made our request to be seated at table ten for the rest of the cruise. To our surprise the hostess asked us why we had been seated at table ten as we had been allocated to table 89. We replied that we had been taken to table ten when we had arrived at the Dining Room. She then said that we should have been at table 89 as we had been seated at table 89 the previous night. When we said that we had never been to the Botticelli Dining Room before she then told us that we had been seated at table 89 the previous night. Very confused I told her that I had cancelled our reservation in person the previous night at 5.00pm and had eaten pizza on the Sun Deck. Her reply that we had not eaten pizza on the Sun Deck but had definitely been at table 89 in Botticelli the previous night astonished us. We asked her if she thought we didn't know where and what we eaten the previous night. She stated again that we had sat at table 89 in Botticelli the previous night. She went on to say that she remembered us, our cabin number and name from the previous night. My husband and I looked at each other totally bewildered. All we could say was that we definitely had not been there the previous night. The hostess was getting quite abrupt with us and was adamant that we had sat at table 89 the previous night. Trying to lighten the tense atmosphere my husband joked that he hoped that whoever had sat at table 89 last night hadn't charged any drinks to our account. She replied that no-one else could have charged drinks to our account as we were the ones sitting at table 89 the previous night. By now she was speaking to us in a very terse and quite unpleasant manner and refused to accept that we knew where we had eaten dinner the previous night. It was all quite bizarre. My husband asked her where table 89 was in the Dining Room and she very rudely replied that it was the table where we had sat last night and where we would be sitting for dinner for the remainder of the cruise. 

At this point we said goodbye and left the Dining Room. We have never been spoken to by any crew member on any ship, Princess or any other, in this manner. By the end of the conservation she was being positively rude and was adamant that we did not know what or where we had had dinner the previous night because she was correct. What the....... !!! 

We have never made a complaint on a Princess ship before but we went straight to Guest Services to make a complaint about her completely unacceptable behaviour. 

The following day I received a phone call from a manager who apologised profusely and said that we could be seated at table ten for the rest of the cruise. I told her that I no longer wished to eat in the Botticelli Dining Room as I was so upset at the experience we had had and could we please eat at a different dining room. She put me on hold for a short time and returned to say that she had arranged for us to eat in the Michaelangelo Dining Room at 6.00pm for the remainder of the cruise and gave me the name of who to ask for when we arrived that evening for dinner so that they could look after us. She also apologised profusely again and said that the hostess would be spoken to.

I feel that the matter was handled quickly and appropriately and I was satisfied with the result.

When we returned to our cabin the Disembarkation Form was on our bed to be completed and left on our desk for our steward to collect. 

IMG_20230713_175226.thumb.jpg.8919b710214193d8a521646b39160e6d.jpg

Clocks were turned back one hour that night.

I would have been tempted to ask guest services to check the medallion logs to show where you were and where you were not that evening! I’m sure they track those 24x7. Princess would be rather shocked to find my late wife always used the gents public loos when we cruised as I would always have her medallion in my pocket during the evening! 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, polmcs said:

I would have been tempted to ask guest services to check the medallion logs to show where you were and where you were not that evening! I’m sure they track those 24x7. Princess would be rather shocked to find my late wife always used the gents public loos when we cruised as I would always have her medallion in my pocket during the evening! 🤭

When I was speaking to the manager on the phone about what had happened she said that she had checked our medallions and she could see that we had ordered drinks from the Tradewinds Bar on deck 16 at about 6.30pm and said that we obviously hadn't left the Botticelli Dining Room to go up to deck 16 to order drinks, so they can see some things via the medallion.

• Like 1

What a strange experience in the dining room you had but glad management resolved it.

Regarding afternoon tea, was that included? I was dismayed on our Royal cruise in May that there was now a surcharge. I didn't see the complimentary tea offered anymore (unless I missed it). Thank you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

What a strange experience in the dining room you had but glad management resolved it.

Regarding afternoon tea, was that included? I was dismayed on our Royal cruise in May that there was now a surcharge. I didn't see the complimentary tea offered anymore (unless I missed it). Thank you.

Strange indeed!

The afternoon tea we had did not cost any extra and was in the Da Vinci Dining Room on each sea day from 3.00pm to 4.00pm. We went to line up at about 2.50pm and the line grew very long behind us. When we left at about 3.30pm there was still a very long line of passengers waiting to get in. We only went once on the first sea day so maybe that was why the line was so long.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coral said:

They asked for a gratuity. I think I gave them $10 which was more than reasonable. Definitely worth the money. Someone thought the Fairmont across the street would do it also. I do not have any experience at Fairmont but I have done this multiple times at Pan Pacific, even 15 years ago (and again this year). Some cruise ship rates at PP say it is included but they will do it for any room at PP. I was told by my person the sooner you call the better. 

image.jpeg

Coral,

Thanks for the information. I will take advantage of this perk. The good news is the Crown is the only ship scheduled in port for the 3 day to San Francisco. 

What time did your bags arrive to your cabin?

16 hours ago, Coral said:

I struggled with the dining room "keepers" also! I wanted a private table that wasn't immediately next to another table (that long row of tables that have bench sitting). I eventually found a Restaurant Manager on Deck 6 that would help. I would show up and the woman would tell me I would have an 1-2 hour wait. He would then see me and find a table quickly for me. He got a nice tip! I have never struggled with dining like I did on the Crown.

16 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Fortunately this was the only crew member that we had an issue with. Every other crew member we came across was great, especially those in the Michaelangelo Dining Room. We had a fantastic experience there and excellent service. It seems to be dependent on who you happen to deal with and no-one should have to struggle with their dining on a cruise.

16 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I’m sorry you had such an experience but I’m glad they made it right for you. We also had strange experiences at Boticcelli. I had made reservations for the same time every night and requested the same table for 2. The first night it was, that’s right, table 89! The next night they seated us at table 90. I asked why as 89 was free (it is a quiet nice table by the wall) and we preferred it, and table 90 had different wait staff. She said 89 wasn’t free and was reserved for someone else. I insisted I had requested the same table nightly and she said it simply wasn’t free. We sat at 90 and decided to deal with it after dinner. 5 minutes later they bring another couple near us and they don’t like the table they’re offered and ask for table 89 instead, and they give it to them! I was a little perturbed at this and went to the front desk and asked nicely if I could have 89 every night. She said yes and gave me a “ticket” with our room, table and time on it. 
Every evening people with tickets were told to just walk in directly to their tables so we did. For the next 3 evenings at some point they walked people to our table saw us there and turned them around. This happened with some of the tables around us too. That dining room has some real management issues, but the food was great!

We were told that the ship is currently without a hotel manager so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. We also met one of our dining room hosts from the Royal who said he was called back early from his vacation to come and work in Da Vinci as they were short staffed.

On all of our past cruises I don't remember having any of these issues. The only issue I recall on one cruise was when a mom changed her child's diaper at the table next to us. Fortunately, we were getting ready to leave.

I'm not a big foodie and now that I'm traveling solo, I'll take my chances in the Horizon Court.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Coral,

Thanks for the information. I will take advantage of this perk. The good news is the Crown is the only ship scheduled in port for the 3 day to San Francisco. 

What time did your bags arrive to your cabin?

I do know they move them over in a truck (and there are a ton of cruisers staying there). One arrived mid-afternoon. The other didn't and I started to get worried. Then, right as we were getting ready to leave port, I got one of those notes in my room saying "your luggage is with security - you must go down to talk to them". They (Princess) held my luggage hostage due to a power strip (not surge strip). So I had to go down there where they opened the luggage up in front of me and confiscated my power strip.

Timing on luggage is always weird. On other trips, I have dropped my luggage off really early and I was the last to get it on the ship. Other times, it comes quick.

7 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

On all of our past cruises I don't remember having any of these issues. The only issue I recall on one cruise was when a mom changed her child's diaper at the table next to us. Fortunately, we were getting ready to leave.

I'm not a big foodie and now that I'm traveling solo, I'll take my chances in the Horizon Court.

Ewww! That is unpleasant.

I think that occasionally things don't go as well as they should in the dining rooms but in my case it was handled well and I was very happy with the outcome. I have never had an issue on any other cruise. I would recommend that you try dining in a dining room to see if you enjoy it or not, maybe at a shared table. The food was very good and service excellent in the Michaelangelo Dining Room on Crown Princess.

Sunday June 4 - Sitka

Weather Forecast - 60% Chance of Rain, High 54°F/12°C, Low 46°F/8°C

After breakfast at the Horizon Buffet we sat on the Sun Deck to watch the scenery. 

IMG_20230714_102349.thumb.jpg.cc9d8874d560dd8023e06e007f801425.jpg

IMG_20230714_102421.thumb.jpg.1de1c0e5794d67eca38e18ae4ab77b0a.jpg

IMG_20230714_102430.thumb.jpg.c2d20f6720adec5c3d7317daca2d427f.jpg

IMG_20230714_102443.thumb.jpg.5a8aa591318449954940dcdea32d6eaa.jpg

We arrived at Sitka at 11.00am which was one hour later than the itinerary but one hour earlier than the captain had announced that we would be arriving. We were in port with Ovation of the Seas.

The weather was cool and overcast but it was not raining despite the forecast for rain. We were off the ship at 11.30am and as we left the ship we passed passengers arriving with their luggage. We were soon on the free shuttle which took about 15 minutes to get to the town centre. The road in the centre of town was closed to traffic so that the main street was pedestrianised.

We made a quick stop at the outside of the Russian Bishop's House, admired a nearby shop and then walked past the marina to the Sitka National Historical Park.

IMG_20230714_102455.thumb.jpg.d3f35734aae5ca7648f67df78912aa1e.jpg

IMG_20230714_102506.thumb.jpg.e7b78608e0f445f00e514f25eb0e5fd1.jpg

IMG_20230714_102518.thumb.jpg.501fcb56ba083743ac4d02ac57575094.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday June 4 - Sitka Part 2

At the Sitka National Historical Park we walked along the Totem Trail looking at the Totem Poles and watching the many bald eagles soaring above us.

IMG_20230714_102532.thumb.jpg.7969ef5615df6d926717017c782b8216.jpg

IMG_20230714_102546.thumb.jpg.1e4cfc7814b4560dc696c79db90c3919.jpg

IMG_20230714_102602.thumb.jpg.ef31dcafadefb70c4b3ca6d78d81aee0.jpg

IMG_20230714_102619.thumb.jpg.191c2aa71353612a4d7d90f61576a5fd.jpg

The walk through the very tall trees, past the beautiful scenery and towards the Indian River was just lovely.

IMG_20230714_102658.thumb.jpg.8edd1c21ff6f94d60aa40a7c41b1595b.jpg

IMG_20230714_102643.thumb.jpg.df9dfbd5207fd6a1221353032b30e9e3.jpg

We saw bald eagles flying over the river and managed to photo one that landed in a tree near us. It's a terrible photo but the best I could get on full zoom on my phone.

IMG_20230714_102727.thumb.jpg.5b7a5887a494b33b81aac580e8e91186.jpg

We continued walking along the trail until we arrived at the river.

IMG_20230714_102741.thumb.jpg.5c54490796c8e037db4d599361269370.jpg

IMG_20230714_102752.thumb.jpg.11eb35a26bb5aadf6dee3dd51e43f7e2.jpg

We crossed the river and walked along another trail and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves walking through the lovely forest.

IMG_20230714_102809.thumb.jpg.c9d2a32ac98d2036adbe3e525c516b1a.jpg

IMG_20230714_102924.thumb.jpg.9d75a5c53153317bead622789e2aaaaf.jpg

IMG_20230714_102937.thumb.jpg.27c0cf7273e3062847f5a7cec9f3e57c.jpg

• Like 3

Sunday June 4 - Sitka Part 3

When we had finished our walk through the forest we then walked back towards the town centre. As it was a Sunday there were little stalls set up by the local children outside their homes selling cookies, lemonade and other drinks to raise some money for their particular cause. We stopped to buy cookies from a lovely boy who was saving to go on his summer vacation. The cookies were delicious!

We walked through town and visited the Russian Blockhouse which is a replica of a wooden Russian fortification from the 1800's.

IMG_20230714_102954.thumb.jpg.de471cdd7b7cf56d46d9e76f5267a1fb.jpg

Next we went to the grave of Princess Maksoutoff who was the wife of Alaska's last Russian governor.

IMG_20230714_103003.thumb.jpg.0e1110fca4b2a45a3a53e73ba78513c6.jpg

Just up the road was the Russian Cemetery one of the most atmospheric cemeteries, I have been to, with the graves amongst the trees.

IMG_20230714_103017.thumb.jpg.b21d8d00a23aac8b1f99058ebd0a0c76.jpg

IMG_20230714_103029.thumb.jpg.e13abfc98b7d419076433bb5a141724d.jpg

We walked back into town to Castle Hill, the historical site where Tlingits and Russians had fortifications. It is where Alaska was formally transferred from Russia to the United States in 1867. There were views across to the lighthouse.

IMG_20230714_103057.thumb.jpg.29d212219d834fadf915ccb961625b04.jpg

IMG_20230714_103041.thumb.jpg.18bcae67324e7f7b96d80323d7282c02.jpg

We made a quick stop at the "Prospector" statue in the grounds of the Sitka Pioneer Home.

IMG_20230714_103109.thumb.jpg.418d0eb6a9a6a772f091bb89be99423c.jpg

Lastly we walked past St Michael's Cathedral which was unfortunately closed.

IMG_20230714_103123.thumb.jpg.90d52a803587e9e322898e6e2ff6ca42.jpg

There was a very long queue for the shuttle back to the ship but fortunately the sun had come out so it was pleasant standing in the sunshine chatting to people in the queue and enjoying the view.

IMG_20230714_103154.thumb.jpg.5170f5d9fa71f14036b4b1e86036ab75.jpg

We waited 30 minutes in the queue to get on a shuttle and we were back on the ship at 4.30pm.

At 6.00pm we went to the Michaelangelo Dining Room and spoke to Maddela. Maddela had been informed of our experience the previous night and after apologising for what had happened, he assured us that he would personally look after us for the remainder of the cruise, which he did. He took us to a lovely four top table by a window and we sat there each night for the rest of cruise. Each evening Maddela personally greeted us on our arrival at the dining room and ushered us to "our" table. We were treated to excellent service from our waiters Allan and Chiril every night and I was able to preorder my meal with Prahran each night for the following night. As I usually ordered sorbet for my dessert each night as it was an easy option with my food allergy, occasionally Prahran would order me something extra that he thought I would like and be okay for me to eat. He was always right and the flambe pineapple was divine! Ten out of ten to the team at the Michaelangelo Dining Room! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Sunday June 4 - Sitka Part 2

At the Sitka National Historical Park we walked along the Totem Trail looking at the Totem Poles and watching the many bald eagles soaring above us.

IMG_20230714_102532.thumb.jpg.7969ef5615df6d926717017c782b8216.jpg

IMG_20230714_102546.thumb.jpg.1e4cfc7814b4560dc696c79db90c3919.jpg

IMG_20230714_102602.thumb.jpg.ef31dcafadefb70c4b3ca6d78d81aee0.jpg

IMG_20230714_102619.thumb.jpg.191c2aa71353612a4d7d90f61576a5fd.jpg

The walk through the very tall trees, past the beautiful scenery and towards the Indian River was just lovely.

IMG_20230714_102658.thumb.jpg.8edd1c21ff6f94d60aa40a7c41b1595b.jpg

IMG_20230714_102643.thumb.jpg.df9dfbd5207fd6a1221353032b30e9e3.jpg

We saw bald eagles flying over the river and managed to photo one that landed in a tree near us. It's a terrible photo but the best I could get on full zoom on my phone.

IMG_20230714_102727.thumb.jpg.5b7a5887a494b33b81aac580e8e91186.jpg

We continued walking along the trail until we arrived at the river.

IMG_20230714_102741.thumb.jpg.5c54490796c8e037db4d599361269370.jpg

IMG_20230714_102752.thumb.jpg.11eb35a26bb5aadf6dee3dd51e43f7e2.jpg

We crossed the river and walked along another trail and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves walking through the lovely forest.

IMG_20230714_102809.thumb.jpg.c9d2a32ac98d2036adbe3e525c516b1a.jpg

IMG_20230714_102924.thumb.jpg.9d75a5c53153317bead622789e2aaaaf.jpg

IMG_20230714_102937.thumb.jpg.27c0cf7273e3062847f5a7cec9f3e57c.jpg

Loving these pics!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Thank you! As our introduction to Alaska we loved our day and the beauty in Sitka.

You did entirely different things than I did! I want to go back. I definitely enjoyed what I did but you saw things I didn't have time to see. This was my first time in Sitka. Must go back!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

You did entirely different things than I did! I want to go back. I definitely enjoyed what I did but you saw things I didn't have time to see. This was my first time in Sitka. Must go back!

That's the joy of cruising! You can speak to three different people and they've all done different but equally great things in the same port. We loved Sitka and would definitely chose it to be on another Alaska cruise itinerary. 

• Like 2

Monday June 5 - Hubbard Glacier

Weather Forecast - Clear, High 50°F/10°C, Low 48°F/9°C

This morning we had breakfast in the Horizon Buffet. We entered into Yakutut Bay at 9.00am and we went to Skywalkers to wait for our arrival at the Hubbard Glacier.

At 10.00am we arrived at the Hubbard Glacier. The ship slowly approached the glacier. It was overcast and quite cold with low clouds but there was no rain. We waited for a while for the small boat excursion to be loaded and set off. We then sailed closer to the glacier. The surrounding scenery was lovely.

IMG_20230715_104908.thumb.jpg.5cdba0c4be8ef9407b9e24afc0551ce5.jpg

IMG_20230715_104920.thumb.jpg.efd8bc57d3a43d06fa6ade671b688c6b.jpg

IMG_20230715_105042.thumb.jpg.31aeb15e54898108dddfdee2019ec497.jpg

IMG_20230715_105122.thumb.jpg.8121fdcd225a1f7518b16143b8e4230b.jpg

IMG_20230715_105153.thumb.jpg.86dbedd493649b1907d3a3dd1fac6091.jpg

IMG_20230715_105210.thumb.jpg.128ba30b1a640fbd171fef4fce63fdde.jpg

There was a lot of ice in the water of all different shapes, sizes and colours.

IMG_20230715_105135.thumb.jpg.176d60116743d592dd4a804b09426819.jpg

IMG_20230715_105252.thumb.jpg.5391db4549f7cea7b46beab59bcb178e.jpg

IMG_20230715_105308.thumb.jpg.8cf9c7ceab220328c2b29d8778c1c742.jpg

IMG_20230715_105318.thumb.jpg.cca6b632726db3e3a29d761f86ab0062.jpg

CF009664559348FFADE8B628DB984A51.jpg.42bc23866265c99d6b84d9ea132692e5.jpg

948666F315A146B4A25535DA1481EEA8.jpg.9c8baa478167278168aa2f22f3084089.jpg

• Like 1

Monday June 5 - Hubbard Glacier Part 2

The glacier was a sight to behold! The captain turned the ship so that both sides got a good view of the glacier. We spent all the time at the glacier on the Sun Deck so we had a great view. Whilst it was overcast and the cloud cover was low the glacier was a magnificent sight to see.

IMG_20230715_105032.thumb.jpg.0ebb4c8070cde9e148396541e77d415c.jpg

IMG_20230715_105056.thumb.jpg.8a02e107904815309a631a8e6acac7f0.jpg

IMG_20230715_105329.thumb.jpg.9110bbdd4e1d4578ca8639b2a07b88c1.jpg

IMG_20230715_105338.thumb.jpg.ab757c934e57060250749850ecac5833.jpg

IMG_20230715_105419.thumb.jpg.a802d6757da93c2e66bd19f62169803e.jpg

IMG_20230715_105408.thumb.jpg.e5dd912f46f6b3a9fae1c0f7b1db290e.jpg

After both sides of the ship faced the glacier we waited for the return of the small boat excursion then sailed away from the glacier at 12.30pm. We left Yakutut Bay at 1.30pm.

IMG_20230715_105713.thumb.jpg.543eb06e475126bcff35d706450cc9e6.jpg

IMG_20230715_105806.thumb.jpg.ef00502e61655e01468409d53c68046f.jpg

IMG_20230715_105750.thumb.jpg.d42b4f4e8015ec194af0ddcebb916829.jpg

We got lunch at the Salty Dog Grill and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in our cabin. Dinner was at the Michaelangelo Dining Room where it was Italian night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Ewww! That is unpleasant.

I think that occasionally things don't go as well as they should in the dining rooms but in my case it was handled well and I was very happy with the outcome. I have never had an issue on any other cruise. I would recommend that you try dining in a dining room to see if you enjoy it or not, maybe at a shared table. The food was very good and service excellent in the Michaelangelo Dining Room on Crown Princess.

On all the cruises with my wife we always ate dinner in the MDR. Sue enjoyed or at least tried most of the selections. I'm a very picky eater and if it wasn't steak, chicken or pasta (red sauce) it wasn't for me. We also liked dressing up for formal night. So honestly there really isn't much in the MDR that would make me want to sit down to a two-hour ordeal for the basics. Now my April 2024 cruise with my younger daughter and her family we will do the MDR. 

• Like 1

Hey purple traveler, when you were in Sitka, an you were walkin through the forest, were there any Devil's club plants with a plaque explaining what they were? Inquiring minds want to know. I think we'll be on the same tour as you were. Can't wait to go, in Sept, am gettin ansy.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:47 PM, sunviking90 said:

I’m sorry you had such an experience but I’m glad they made it right for you. We also had strange experiences at Boticcelli. I had made reservations for the same time every night and requested the same table for 2. The first night it was, that’s right, table 89! The next night they seated us at table 90. I asked why as 89 was free (it is a quiet nice table by the wall) and we preferred it, and table 90 had different wait staff. She said 89 wasn’t free and was reserved for someone else. I insisted I had requested the same table nightly and she said it simply wasn’t free. We sat at 90 and decided to deal with it after dinner. 5 minutes later they bring another couple near us and they don’t like the table they’re offered and ask for table 89 instead, and they give it to them! I was a little perturbed at this and went to the front desk and asked nicely if I could have 89 every night.

We had a similar weird experience with a table for two,  we had reserved  for 540 every night, as it happens they gave us table 90,  but when we showed up at the dining room the greeter for the restaurant that scanned our medallions would say to the two women behind the desk at reception table 90 - for  two at 5:40 and half the time  we would get table 90 and the other half time we would send us to another table in the area: 93, 95 etc. 

It was bizarre.  We would see someone sitting at table 90 even if we got there slightly early at 5:35,  and we were usually all there at our designated time at 5:40.  I tried to ask what is the system you are using and never got a response.  Whatever they were doing was making it far more difficult for everyone and way more complex than just letting us have our designated table every night with the waiter who had learnt our preferences.

The two women doing the table allocations were like air traffic controllers trying to coorindate table assignments by the seat of their pants with planes coming into land from every direction.  I can see no way how they were doing was more efficent than just giving us our designated table every night.

That is my complaint with Princess they lack common sense in their overall management.  A prime example was when we had to tender in Juneau and the tenders tickets were the names of animals and birds, and not in alphabetical order. Huh?  It was so confusing, even for the crew to know if your tender had been called or not.  Why not just have a numerical numbering system that is straightforward and everyone can easily follow and know where the tender process is, instead of trying to be cute with the animal names.

And with regards to tendering why in the world with those elaborate video display units throughout the ship why can't they display where they are in the tender process or what deck  the gangblanks can be found for docked ports.  Perhaps they can be used for this information but they were not used on our cruise for thatand I suspect without serious programming can't be used for these vital functions.

Pincess really lacks common sense.

3 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

On all the cruises with my wife we always ate dinner in the MDR. Sue enjoyed or at least tried most of the selections. I'm a very picky eater and if it wasn't steak, chicken or pasta (red sauce) it wasn't for me. We also liked dressing up for formal night. So honestly there really isn't much in the MDR that would make me want to sit down to a two-hour ordeal for the basics. Now my April 2024 cruise with my younger daughter and her family we will do the MDR. 

I can understand that. We usually eat in the buffet a few times during each cruise because we sometimes like a quick and easy dinner.  This was the first cruise that we didn't eat in the buffet for dinner once. I hope you enjoy both of your future cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey purple traveler, when you were in Sitka, an you were walkin through the forest, were there any Devil's club plants with a plaque explaining what they were? Inquiring minds want to know. I think we'll be on the same tour as you were. Can't wait to go, in Sept, am gettin ansy.

To be honest I had to google to see what a Devil's Club plant is and I'm a horticulturist, though in my defense we don't have these plants in Australia. I don't remember seeing any of these plants in Sitka but I think I did actually see some in San Francisco at the Salesforce Rooftop Garden.

Is this some?

IMG20230709125025.thumb.jpg.3e40bcc9bfacb187e7443a6400448a72.jpg

If so, I definitely didn't see any in Sitka because I would have remembered them as they are so distinctive.

We didn't go on a tour in Sitka but just walked around by ourselves. It only took about ten minutes to walk to the Sitka National Historical Park from where we were dropped off by the shuttle bus that took us in to town from the ship.

Hope you have a great cruise!