Viking DISembarkation process in Fusina (Venice) in 2023?!?

vincevango

Wow there is a lot of conflicting info out there and Viking is no help at all on this (you get different answers from different customer service reps). So I am going to ask here:  Has anyone DISembarked from a Viking ship in Fusina (Venice) in 2023?  If so, do you know how they handle passengers who did NOT book a fight or extension with Viking?  My wife and I are planning to stay in Venice for a couple days after our Viking Sea cruise ends and I'm just trying to figure out how to get to the hotel we booked near St Mark's Square.

A google search reveals conflicting information and a lot of conjecture. And first hand accounts are a year old so I'm looking for recent experience. The last Viking rep I spoke to said they only offer transport from Fusina to the airport but not to Venice itself.  I find it hard to believe that they just dump you out at Fusina (where no cabs are apparently allowed) to fend for yourself.  Does anyone have recent (2023) first-hand experience DISembarking in Fusina (Venice) on Viking and can share the process?

My hotel says they can pick me up from Marittima (the old Venice cruise port where big ships are no longer allowed) so my hope (and some info on internet supports this hope) is that Viking will get me there and I can take it from there...

Edited by vincevango

• vincevango changed the title to Viking DISembarkation process in Fusina (Venice) in 2023?!?

It's extremely likely that Viking will follow the same process as other lines that have used Fusina. That is, they will have some shuttles going direct to the airport (for early flights) and some bringing passengers to the main cruise terminal in Venice (Marittima) where they will pick up luggage and then head for whatever ultimate destinations they may have.

This process is outlined in post #12 on this thread (from about a month ago). The cruise line mentioned is Azamara but I suspect all lines are following the same procedures since the port of Fusina is not open to taxis or other public transportation.

We too were staying longer after we disembarked. We were in the last group to disembark and were then bussed to the main terminal in Venice (maybe a 35 minute ride). At the main terminal, we collected our luggage.  I believe there was some kind of security check before we left the terminal, and then we were on our own!  

5 hours ago, lisaatric said:

We too were staying longer after we disembarked. We were in the last group to disembark and were then bussed to the main terminal in Venice (maybe a 35 minute ride). At the main terminal, we collected our luggage.  I believe there was some kind of security check before we left the terminal, and then we were on our own!  

Appreciate the response lisaatric.  Approx what time do you think your group disembarked?