Charging devices on Marina

SellaVee

I'm struggling to find up to date information on whether Marina has USB ports in the cabins.  If not, what is the best option?   I have a standard UK plug that has 3 USB ports built in, but this would need an adaptor.  For UK devices should I just get a European version of a plug with multiple ports?

You are far better to get a dedicated charger, and just plug it into the main current.

The problem is that these "USB ports" that get built into the walls and fixtures have two primary drawbacks.  One is that the connections often become worn and damaged, providing a marginal connection.  The other is that the actual power being delivered is usually undisclosed and usually of low amperage.

An example of what I suggest is:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P933OJC/

Plenty of power for full fast charging of your devices, and Anker is a top brand.

As for those adapters with USB ports -- most are junk in terms of charging your devices.

In any case, look on the specification label and see just what kind of power you are getting from your "chargers".

• Thanks 1

Thank you @FlyerTalker.  I already have an Anker powerbank for charging my phone "on the go" , so I know the brand.  I have a fairly solid 3 pin plug with 3 ports that charges my devices pretty well, but it's a bit clunky to attach it to a plug adapter.

I think I'll look for one with a European plug, as I’m more likely to use it again than a US plug, and there might be a voltage problem.  If I buy a UK one I'll still have the plug problem.

Edited by SellaVee

A thought for you:  Plug-into-the-wall adapters can have problems with tight spaces around the wall plug, but @FlyerTalker's option leaves you with a "tail" to get snagged, dumping everything on the floor (Ask me how I know 🙄).

Plug-into-the-wall types can even come with different pop-out pins for USA, EU, AUS, and UK walls:

https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX

We were recently on Marina on a Scandinavian cruise.  There were both American and European outlets which I had not remembered from the last time we were in the same stateroom back in 2018.  Since we were in Amsterdam pre-cruise I had some European 2 prong plug adapters so was able to charge things in different outlets.   But one of the outlets at the desk was "jammed" with something and wasn't usable.   

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:21 AM, SellaVee said:

I'm struggling to find up to date information on whether Marina has USB ports in the cabins.  If not, what is the best option?   I have a standard UK plug that has 3 USB ports built in, but this would need an adaptor.  For UK devices should I just get a European version of a plug with multiple ports?

We were on the ship just a couple days ago.  There are no built-in USB ports in the cabins on Marina.  Perhaps they will be part of the refurbishment process as they were added to other ships when they received their "NEXT" upgrade.  Currently on Marina in regular cabins (cannot speak of suites), there is a European style outlet on each side of the bed.  Near the desk, there is at least one more European outlet (maybe more) and two US-style outlets.  For us, this was problematic as we forgot to bring our European style adapters.  We had to make-do with the US outlets, and only one of them was workable at once because they are place too closely together.  Unless you have slim plugs, only one can be utilized.  We hoped to find plug adapters in one of the onboard shops and were advised by reception that they had them on sale; however, when we checked in the shop, they laughed at us and told us that they'd been sold out for a "long time".  I'd recommend getting a European version of a plug with multiple ports if you have numerous devices to charge.  In our case, we somehow managed even though we had all sorts of things that required charging.  We made it work.

@vlthom and @Woofa, it was because Marina hasn’t been refurbished that I thought to ask about USB ports.  We were in Sicily last month and took and adapter and my 3 pin plug with us as we were staying in some very old hotels.  I found  it a bit clunky so I've ordered a plug with both European and UK fittings so that I can use it both at home and on holiday, and it has 4 ports.  I’m sure we have a US adapter somewhere.  I'm pleased we'll have so many European sockets even though we'll probably use just one.

I am surprised that Oceania doesn’t have enough plug adapters on sale because I really thought we would have ports in the room and it was only the discussion of the delay  to Marina's refurb that made me thing maybe not.  I wonder how many people get caught out.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SellaVee said:

I am surprised that Oceania doesn’t have enough plug adapters on sale....

I suspect that once upon a time, they did  ...until someone plugged a 110v-only device into a 240v outlet with an adapter bought onboard and loudly blamed the ship for letting the "magic smoke" out of their device.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

I suspect that once upon a time, they did  ...until someone plugged a 110v-only device into a 240v outlet with an adapter bought onboard and loudly blamed the ship for letting the "magic smoke" out of their device.

I never fail to shake my head at how so many people have the mistaken idea that an "adapter" is the same as a "transformer".  And how few people actually check the power ratings for their devices BEFORE they plug them in.

True that many devices now are 110V to 240V - but that still doesn't excuse the willful ignorance.

• Like 1