• 2 weeks later...

Primus,

Bookings for kayaking in the Arctic and Antarctica are available to pre-request from when you reserve your expedition booking. Please note that these are pre-cruise requests only, and once onboard, the expedition team will confirm the exact date, timing, and additional details.

Keep in mind that spaces for kayaking excursions may be limited due to the popularity of the activity and the need to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants. Indicating your interest pre-cruise allows us to create a participation list for the onboard team to act on.  As kayaking availability can vary based on weather conditions and the locations visited, I request your understanding and flexibility with this activity.   

Best, James

James,

Based on your response, I immediately contacted my TA to get added to the pre-cruise list for kayaking in the Arctic this summer.  I was told this week that Atlas will not offer kayaking in the Arctic.  So, I'm confused.  Will Atlas offer or not offer kayaking in Svalbard, Greenland, or Iceland this summer?  Other expedition cruise lines offer kayaking in these areas and this was something I was expecting when booking with Atlas.

Primus, 

Allow me to clarify further. 

Indeed, we do offer kayaking options during our Antarctica voyages, and pre-signups are available for interested guests. However, for our Arctic voyages, kayaking availability is more limited. Svalbard and Eastern Greenland are known for their polar bear presence, which poses safety considerations for kayaking. Therefore, we do not offer advance registration for this activity on Arctic voyages.

Although kayaking offers guests an opportunity for independent exploration, in the Arctic region, we prioritize the safety and guidance of our guests during their expeditions. Typically, we offer Zodiac explorations as a group activity led by our experienced guides. This approach ensures that our guests can fully immerse themselves in the Arctic's breathtaking landscapes while being led by our knowledgeable team to the most remarkable sights ashore. This group-oriented approach provides a safe and enriching experience, allowing our guests to create unforgettable memories together.

On the other hand, we offer limited options for kayaking in select locations during our Arctic voyages, particularly in Western Greenland and Iceland, where it is deemed safe by the captain. If the location is cleared, our onboard team will let you know about the available kayaking options, and you can sign up during your voyage.  Again, this is not guaranteed and depends on adequate weather and safety conditions.

James