Iona Questions?

Minnie29

Embarking on our first P & O cruise in September on Iona. 7 nights Sept 16th to the Fjords. 
We have previously cruised with Celebrity, Cunard and MSC, our favourite being Celebrity so far.

We decided to try P & O as we really liked the look of Iona and the variety of food options onboard. We generally prefer specialty restaurants than MDR’s on cruises. 
We are in our early 50’s with no children and are hoping there won’t be too many children on this cruise. 
What is the general demographic on the Iona out of school holidays? 
If there are young children on board, where are the places to go to have a quiet meal and drink?

Any recommendations would be really appreciated.

The Arcadia being an adult only ship also appeals to us and any comments regarding the differences between this ship and the Iona would be appreciated too.

We are really hoping we love P & O as there is so much choice sailing out of Southampton 

You will be fine on Iona. I would not think there will be to many children onboard .May be a few younger children .We did arcadia twice one balcony and one inside which was the smallest inside we had ever done .We thought we would not like the bigger ships how wrong we were.Done iona twice Oct 21 and Oct 22 .looking again 23 

Only been on Iona for a Seacation so not reflective of the current experience. But we did like all the food venues, especially the Quays, Olive Grove and Limelight. Thought we wouldn't like the size but didn't phase us as much as we thought. She was barely half full though.

Arcadia however, along with Aurora is one of our favourites. She is of course older but has really classy glass artwork throughout, lovely promenade deck, pretty atrium. Not so many dining options though. We have had some lovely cruises on Arcadia.

• Like 1

We did Iona, out of school holiday, earlier this year. There were fewer than 100 children onboard. There are things we like less about the ship (my husband is a bridge player and regrets the lack of a card room) but still had a very good time. We tried most of the dining venues (except for Limelight and Sindhu) and enjoyed them all.

We also like Arcadia, especially being adults only. Yes, the ship is older and the cabins smaller but there is a lot to enjoy (and my hubby can indulge his bridge addiction!).

For us, it about the itinerary and price rather than the ship.

We tried the Iona on a Norwegian Fjords cruise in June. There were many children onboard even tho it was not school holidays. Most were ok but the few that were unruly were very unruly. Our balcony overlooked a hot tub and children were playing in it, screaming loudly and running up and down and at times " bombing " into the hot tub ( tho they must b shallow so I'm not sure how there were no injuries) . At times we had to abandon the balcony because of the noise . There appeared to be no parental supervision. Also at night in the lounge children were running around and climbing onto the stage and one child was almost hurt when a piece of equipment became unstable due to her shenanigans. Otherwise the Iona is shiny new. It was very noisy and despite the "loads of seating " the reviews heralded we found it nigh impossible to sit for a while between venues. We do have slight mobility problems but it's way too big and busy for us. If you are fit and don't mind the busyness of it then you'll be fine.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slugsta said:

We did Iona, out of school holiday, earlier this year. There were fewer than 100 children onboard. There are things we like less about the ship (my husband is a bridge player and regrets the lack of a card room) but still had a very good time. We tried most of the dining venues (except for Limelight and Sindhu) and enjoyed them all.

We also like Arcadia, especially being adults only. Yes, the ship is older and the cabins smaller but there is a lot to enjoy (and my hubby can indulge his bridge addiction!).

For us, it about the itinerary and price rather than the ship.

I do most of my cruises on Arcadia and Aurora  and find my balcony cabins on them  more spacious (and with much more storage, including drawers!) than on Iona (which I won't be trying again). Had problems with rowdy kids (and some adults!) when I was on her too. 

• Like 2

We were on Iona in Feb/March. There were some children board but not a huge amount. We never saw any bad behaviour either. We loved Iona and are going on her again tomorrow. We have also been on most other P&O ships with Britannia being our favourite. We have never had a bad cruise but wasn’t keen on Ventura or Arcadia. Everyone has different favourites and views. I hope you enjoy your fist P&O cruise.

24 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

We were on Iona in Feb/March. There were some children board but not a huge amount. We never saw any bad behaviour either. We loved Iona and are going on her again tomorrow. We have also been on most other P&O ships with Britannia being our favourite. We have never had a bad cruise but wasn’t keen on Ventura or Arcadia. Everyone has different favourites and views. I hope you enjoy your fist P&O cruise.

Have a great time. 

Andy 

We are keeping our fingers crossed there won’t be too many rowdy children onboard in September. 
As far as Arcadia goes how do the mini suites compare to the mini conservatory cabins on Iona? 

• Like 1

Jenizor - we’re currently in Southampton Ibis awaiting our cruise on Iona tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it,

Incidentally it took us 8 hours to drive down from Preston to Southampton today.  Every motorway was queued.