Thanks for all the help :)

Phaedra_11

A few weeks ago I was asking lots of questions and I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and patience you have shown me.

We booked! 
We will be on the Nieuw Statendam on June 1 to 15, 2024  It goes from Copenhagen to Norway and Iceland and stops in Scotland too.

We booked us in an inside guarantee. And we booked my Mum and stepdad in an oceanview on deck 1. However, today I was sneaky and called in to upgrade them to an unobstructed balcony guarantee We will be paying for their upgrade. I hope they enjoy the surprise and their first cruise.

Thanks again 🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Phaedra_11 said:

A few weeks ago I was asking lots of questions and I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and patience you have shown me.

We booked! 
We will be on the Nieuw Statendam on June 1 to 15, 2024  It goes from Copenhagen to Norway and Iceland and stops in Scotland too.

We booked us in an inside guarantee. And we booked my Mum and stepdad in an oceanview on deck 1. However, today I was sneaky and called in to upgrade them to an unobstructed balcony guarantee We will be paying for their upgrade. I hope they enjoy the surprise and their first cruise.

Thanks again 🙂

We should all have kids like you!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Phaedra_11 said:

We booked! 

Thanks again 🙂

Awesome!! Happy to hear it worked out and that you were able to upgrade them. Here's hoping Cruise Karma rewards your generosity and kindness w/an upgrade of your own (it does happen 😇- just be sure your file says you WILL accept upgrades)! 🤗

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Phaedra_11 said:

How do I do that? 

If you booked directly through HAL, just call and ask them to note the booking that you "will accept an upgrade." If you booked through a TA, you'll need to call them and ask them to note the file.

Once booked, I do not know of a way to do it yourself. 

BTW, it works the other way, too - if you absolutely want to keep what you have, be sure the booking is noted as "will not accept upgrade."

With the "will" note they will move you move without checking w/you first and you'll probably not be able to get the old one back if you don't like the new one.

• Like 1

I srsly do NOT want to rain on your excitement, but that balcony guarantee might backfire.  For brand new cruisers, a lower, centered cabin is a better choice for possible seasickness.  The guarantee could result in a higher, more forward/aft cabin with lots of movement.  Just my two cents...

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 1:41 PM, Phaedra_11 said:

However, today I was sneaky and called in to upgrade them to an unobstructed balcony guarantee We will be paying for their upgrade. I hope they enjoy the surprise and their first cruise.

I've never paid for an upgrade and I'd like to ask you how that works.  If you booked the Oceanview originally, then you paid for the upgrade to balcony, did you pay the established price, or did you receive some kind of discount for upgrading after your original booking?  

52 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I've never paid for an upgrade and I'd like to ask you how that works.  If you booked the Oceanview originally, then you paid for the upgrade to balcony, did you pay the established price, or did you receive some kind of discount for upgrading after your original booking?  

I find it could be either depending on how full the ship is. Generally, the more cabins available, the lower the cost to upgrade so the better the deal. The more full the ship is, the higher the cost to upgrade.

And the closer to the sail date, the more impact the above have. 

My experience, YMMV.

My TA just forwarded an upgrade offer from HAL to me, my chosen VE on 7 to a vista suite room number unknown, for 349.pp. I said no, I like the cabin I picked, and would rather spend that money elsewhere, like on upgrading to first class, see my other thread!😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ellencruise said:

My TA just forwarded an upgrade offer from HAL to me, my chosen VE on 7 to a vista suite room number unknown, for 349.pp. I said no, I like the cabin I picked, and would rather spend that money elsewhere, like on upgrading to first class, see my other thread!😉

Usually on upsells you do get to pick the exact room when you call.  A vista on a pinnacle ship is not worth taking to me because it's marginally bigger.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Haljo1935 said:

If you booked directly through HAL, just call and ask them to note the booking that you "will accept an upgrade." If you booked through a TA, you'll need to call them and ask them to note the file.

Once booked, I do not know of a way to do it yourself. 

BTW, it works the other way, too - if you absolutely want to keep what you have, be sure the booking is noted as "will not accept upgrade."

With the "will" note they will move you move without checking w/you first and you'll probably not be able to get the old one back if you don't like the new one.

When I booked, I selected I wouldn’t accept an upgrade. I was worried they would just assign a cabin. I want the option to say yay or nay. We have probably one of the least desirable cabins in HAL’s opinion but there are many others I would not want. I’ve debated about calling to say we are okay with an upgrade, but then I need to remind myself I’m okay with our current location.

3 hours ago, bajae said:

When I booked, I selected I wouldn’t accept an upgrade. I was worried they would just assign a cabin. I want the option to say yay or nay. We have probably one of the least desirable cabins in HAL’s opinion but there are many others I would not want. I’ve debated about calling to say we are okay with an upgrade, but then I need to remind myself I’m okay with our current location.

If there's a cabin you would not want, then personally, I'd leave it as No Upgrade but call periodically to check. If there's something available you like at a price (could be $0) you deem reasonable, you can take it. That way you don't risk being put somewhere you do are not happy with.

Sure, it's a little effort, but worth it to me for possibly getting something better w/o risking an already acceptable location.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bajae said:

I always chose not to accept an upgrade. There are many discussions of those who have let the cruise line chose, gone many times and had great upgrades, and then one time got a cabin they hated. As @Haljo1935said, you can just call the line to check a few weeks before the cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1