Fix your webcams, please.

janetcbl

Would someone currently on the Saturn and the Neptune please ask the Captain  to fix the webcams? They are currently turned sideways. Those of us who are presently traveling vicariously would appreciate it. Thanks!😁

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Would someone currently on the Saturn and the Neptune please ask the Captain  to fix the webcams? They are currently turned sideways. Those of us who are presently traveling vicariously would appreciate it. Thanks!😁

Hi—I just informed Heather—the CD on the Saturn. She said it may take some time because they have to climb up and fix the housing so would have to wait until we dock in Svalbard tomorrow. Even if fixed right now—it’s socked in—only dense marine fog.

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Hi—I just informed Heather—the CD on the Saturn. She said it may take some time because they have to climb up and fix the housing so would have to wait until we dock in Svalbard tomorrow. Even if fixed right now—it’s socked in—only dense marine fog.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I don't get why someone would have to get to the camera unless something knocked if over.  I would hope the mount would be stronger than that.  It should be, connect software to camera, rotate image, save setting. done.

58 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I don't get why someone would have to get to the camera unless something knocked if over.  I would hope the mount would be stronger than that.  It should be, connect software to camera, rotate image, save setting. done.

I agree, it appears to be a software clitch not a mounting one

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I agree, it appears to be a software clitch not a mounting one

Sorry to disagree with you Clay but this is not a software issue. You will see from my attached screenshot that the camera is physically misplaced by 90° and producing a panorama of the deck and the sky rather than the horizon.

The camera is placed on the highest mast of the forward superstructure and the mast is designed to rotate through 90° so that it can lay flat for maintenance or when going under low bridges. It seems unlikely that the hinging mechanism has failed, so the most likely explanation is that the deck crew have simply "forgotten" to raise it again after it's been lowered.

The reason that I know so much about this is we had the same issue on our Midnight Sun Cruise in 2019. When I raised the matter with the General Manager, I was told no uncertain terms that it was not his problem, and he did not understand why I was making a fuss about it. It sticks in my mind as it was, by far, the least satisfactory interaction I have ever had with any Viking staff member! I feel sure that Heather reacted more appropriately when the issue was presented to her, however it seems the deck crew have still not put the camera back in the right place 😕

Maybe someone on-board the ship could point out to management that there is a privacy issue with the camera in this position as it shows areas of the deck (including the putting green) that are accessible to passengers. This is obviously something Viking are sensitive about. If you look carefully at the regular images from the Explorer class ships you will see that publicly accessible deck areas on each side have been pixelated using software so that passengers can't be seen in the images. 

image.thumb.png.447b5296e7bf39c0a6df2c534f0601ab.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

Sorry to disagree with you Clay but this is not a software issue. You will see from my attached screenshot that the camera is physically misplaced by 90° and producing a panorama of the deck and the sky rather than the horizon.

The camera is placed on the highest mast of the forward superstructure and the mast is designed to rotate through 90° so that it can lay flat for maintenance or when going under low bridges. It seems unlikely that the hinging mechanism has failed, so the most likely explanation is that the deck crew have simply "forgotten" to raise it again after it's been lowered.

The reason that I know so much about this is we had the same issue on our Midnight Sun Cruise in 2019. When I raised the matter with the General Manager, I was told no uncertain terms that it was not his problem, and he did not understand why I was making a fuss about it. It sticks in my mind as it was, by far, the least satisfactory interaction I have ever had with any Viking staff member! I feel sure that Heather reacted more appropriately when the issue was presented to her, however it seems the deck crew have still not put the camera back in the right place 😕

Maybe someone on-board the ship could point out to management that there is a privacy issue with the camera in this position as it shows areas of the deck (including the putting green) that are accessible to passengers. This is obviously something Viking are sensitive about. If you look carefully at the regular images from the Explorer class ships you will see that publicly accessible deck areas on each side have been pixelated using software so that passengers can't be seen in the images. 

image.thumb.png.447b5296e7bf39c0a6df2c534f0601ab.png

I gladly stand corrected!  Now if they would just get it fixed.

30 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I gladly stand corrected!

No problem, maybe I should have chipped in earlier about the root cause of the issue.

You might also be interested to know that the cameras physically rotate to produce the panoramas. This is demonstrated by the wavy horizon that is produced in heavy weather when the rotation of the camera interacts with the movement of the ship. Of course, you may not be at all interested, it might just be me 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, photopro2 said:

No problem, maybe I should have chipped in earlier about the root cause of the issue.

You might also be interested to know that the cameras physically rotate to produce the panoramas. This is demonstrated by the wavy horizon that is produced in heavy weather when the rotation of the camera interacts with the movement of the ship. Of course, you may not be at all interested, it might just be me 😁

I always wondered about that wavy horizon! Thanks…I learn something new every day!

I just got off the Viking Neptune the other day and had a wonderful time. I did not know Viking ships have webcams. I looked on their website but could not find a link. Could someone post the web address for the webcams.

thanks

14 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You're right! Maybe I didn't let it load and I was still seeing Saturn's sideways version. 

Did you try to turn your head sideways to see Saturn's.  It hurts the neck 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rmalbers said:

They fixed the Saturn also several days ago.  Interesting how they fixed them at the same time. 

Here is the thread!  I couldn't find it when I wanted to.  

Spoke with the General Manager after boarding, he was unaware.  The next day it was fixed.  As those more knowledgeable than me had surmised, the mast was taken down when going under the bridge in Geiranger and was then painted and they forgot to raise it up afterwards.