"Try Dive" on Oasis - pool or aquatheater

3 minutes ago, sportmorgan said:

Hi,

My teens are interested in signing up for the Try Dive session - on Oasis, does anyone know if it is typically held on the pool deck, or perhaps in the aquatheater pool?  

Thanks!

Try Dive is an introduction program, which takes place in the ships pool for $34.00. The program is only available on the following ships: Allure of the Seas® Harmony of the Seas® Liberty of the Seas® Oasis of the Seas® Odyssey of the Seas® Symphony

If it's something they might want to try, look for dive training in your home area.  They might offer a free (or reduced) "introductory" class (or classes).  

We did a free trial at an AI in Mexico 10 years ago.  That was just in the resort pool.  Then we signed up for training which included class work and an open water dive.  It was interesting, but we never followed up on it. 

I am SO going to do this!  I have an upcoming Odyssey cruise with 6 sea days.  Do I log this as a Liveaboard dive?  After all I'm living on the "boat" I'm diving "from".  Do you think the DM will boot me from the class when I show up with my own gear?  Will the DM let me do sidemount?

Edited by gmerick
  • Haha 1

In the past I remember them doing scuba courses in the Aqua pool but when I took the refresher course on Harmony it was in the 4' deep sport pool.  Really tough doing depth control and swims in that shallow a pool.  

• Like 1

For those interested, a quick summary of my experience from Allure 06/2023

Try Drive is booked in Cruise Planner as a Shore Excursion.  I think it was priced at $34.

Originally only single spot was available.  I was able to add a second person once onboard at the Dive Shop.

My session was held on Day 3 at 7am in Sports Pool by the Dive Shop.  The PADI course was being held at same time and they obviously had started their class well before our scheduled arrival.  My daughter and I were given tanks and other gear (PADI class had wetsuits but we didn't).  We were able to use our own masks (presciption lenses as well as comfort factor),  Simple instructions for rise and fall with the buoyancy vest were provided and in we jumped.  Instructor basically told us to go to other end of pool while he did PADI course with about 7 other people...  We could have stayed as long as we wanted but we both were done after about 30m.  

Seeing the bottom of the pool was somewhat enlightening.   The amount of debris, hair, and other junk floating around affirmed my history of not spending much time in cruise pools...

Glad we did it.  The price was fair.  Good experience to learn if you want to commit to a PADI course and go all-in...

We snorkel often but had never worked with a tank system before...