Tax on shore excursions

unclegrandpa

I booked a couple shore excursions for Pride of America. I noticed that they are charging tax on top of the list price. I have not had to pay tax on NCL shore excursions before. Is this something new or is this because it is an American ship so they are required to charge tax? Do they charge it if you book shore excursions on board as well?

5 hours ago, unclegrandpa said:

I booked a couple shore excursions for Pride of America. I noticed that they are charging tax on top of the list price. I have not had to pay tax on NCL shore excursions before. Is this something new or is this because it is an American ship so they are required to charge tax? Do they charge it if you book shore excursions on board as well?

I would suspect that tax on your excursion is an Hawaii state tax (sales tax).  No matter whether you booked it pre cruise or on board, you would still have to pay it.

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

I would suspect that tax on your excursion is an Hawaii state tax (sales tax).  No matter whether you booked it pre cruise or on board, you would still have to pay it.

Yes.  Hawaii does not have a "sales tax", they have a GET (General Excise Tax), the difference is that GET is charged on services as well as goods.  For the OP, you will find that any purchases made on the ship, while it is within 3 miles of shore will be charged GET as well (shops, drinks, etc).  Each night, when the ship gets outside the 3 mile limit, the bridge notifies the purser, and the POS registers are reset to not charge GET.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes.  Hawaii does not have a "sales tax", they have a GET (General Excise Tax), the difference is that GET is charged on services as well as goods.  For the OP, you will find that any purchases made on the ship, while it is within 3 miles of shore will be charged GET as well (shops, drinks, etc).  Each night, when the ship gets outside the 3 mile limit, the bridge notifies the purser, and the POS registers are reset to not charge GET.

Thanks Chief

Sounds like an accounting nightmare

Hope all is well in your world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Are you saying that if I buy the excursion on the ship I won't get charged the tax as long as the ship is 3 miles away? 

no, because the service (the excursion) will be consumed in hawaii. when you sit at home and buy the excursion in advance, you’re also more than 3 miles away, but you’re still charged the GET.

drinks and goods and retail purchases are treated differently because it is assumed that you are consuming them at the time of purchase, even if you save your bag of M&Ms to be eaten later.