Holy Land, Egypt and Arabia cruise - which direction is best?

BrisbaneR

Advice please! I am vey tempted to book the 18 day Holy Land, Egypt and Arabia cruise on Encore. This is a part of the world where I have never travelled and the itinerary looks appealing.  However,  I notice that it can be done in two directions: Piraeus to Dubai or vice versa.  And when I compare the itineraries they are not identical, with some port times being quite different, depending on direction. I can't seem to find any reviews of this cruise in either direction, and am wondering if anyone can help?. 

We did a 21-day Dubai to Monaco (including ports in Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Israel, and Italy) a number of years ago.  There were a number of people we met on board who said they were doing it for the 3rd time.  At first, we wondered about their travel judgment.  By the end, we understood.  It was a fabulous itinerary.  Most striking was the transition from, to us, the exotic Middle East to the familiar environs of Rome. So, I would recommend starting in Dubai.

Linda

6 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Time of year makes a difference.  Dubai can be hot and Petra and Luxor can be brutal in the heat.

Check the temps during the time you intend on going.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  I have done a cruise like this in both directions and think the temperatures one can expect would be the deciding factor for me too.  The last time we went  in May and it was already getting very hot in some of the ports.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I took the advice to check on the temperatures and they seem to be fairly similar for the cruises I am considering. Seabourn seem to have got the timing right. Piraeus to Dubai goes from Nov 3 - 21, 2024 and and Dubai to Piraeus from March 19-April 6, 2025. So, on balance, I think I am inclined to the latter because there is more port time in the places that interest me most. 

• Like 1