Home Lines-Oceanic-cruisers

I was on the Oceanic the summer of 1968 with my parents, brother and cousin. I was 11 yrs old, my first cruise. We sailed from NYC to Nassau and return. I remember we were in Nassau for an overnight, maybe two? Can't remember. We were on the Belvedere Deck, B69, a suite, probably Jr Suite by today's standards. No balcony, just port holes. The bathroom was two rooms, the sink and toilet in one room and a huge, deep soaker bathtub in another room. Very European! My brother and cousin were next door in a double. Our waiter's name was Frank. It was really old-time cruising when everyone did formal night. Dad, my brother, and cousin all rented tuxes. My mother and I bought gowns. So nice. The Italian crew was the best!!! When we got to Nassau, the Islanders climbed up on the ship and dove into the water. I never saw anything like it. Could you imagine diving off a cruise ship today??? Oh, the mid-night buffet was everynight. The food was incredible. I know somewhere there are photos. Very happy memories. Thank you for all who made the Oceanic a great ship!!!!!!!!!

I was an assistent purser on board ss.Oceanic from 1965 to1968.That time I was 28 and I can say that time was the best time of my life.I'm very happy to know that you have appreciated the crew members' work.

I left the ship after the fire accident two days of sailing toward Nassau.

We turned back to New York because the cruise was interrupted. Since then I returned back to Italy and left the ship's life forever.But I must say that I remember those days many times and regret not have changed my mind in order to sail again. I'm now grand father I love my family very much. I also worked on the Homeric first and the the Oceanic

after and I'll never forget those days. The best days of my life.Thank you for what you have said about the ship and the crewmembers.

Ciao

Joseph

I am attempting to locate a man named Daniele Burgazzoli. Daniele is from Italy and is a former employee of Home Lines Cruise Line. Daniele was a head waiter and maitre de’ on the S/S Oceanic. Daniele met my mother in 1978 aboard the S/S Oceanic. If anyone knows him or recognizes his name please contact me at TMurphy167@aol.com. I do have a photograph if needed. Thanks again.

Hello Ms. TMurphy167. Send along the picture. We all have a variety of info regarding the days of Home Lines Cruises and and all the men; officers, waiters, busboys, stewards, etc., etc. You name them, someone knows who they are and where they are now. They might even be lurking around Cruise Critic. Is this one supposed to be your Daddy? You got the idea from this other desperate woman looking for her Daddy Dino? Giving info gets info. Sorry to be so crude, but this site has turned into a virtual Maury Povich with Seas Legs site. Enough men impregnated enough women during the Home Lines cruising history you could keep the boards hot for years and years to come! I was there. I saw. I watched. I learned. Oh what a life was had by all...

Edited by cruisin'since'75
typos

And yes, the man on the left in the black & red jacket is Daniele Burgazzoli. He is my father. I would greatly appreciate any help you or any other person who might be able to point me in his direction could provide. Thanks again.

SCAN0001.jpg.069a743074efb8d570930d4c4f417782.jpg

Hello Ms. TMurphy167. Send along the picture. We all have a variety of info regarding the days of Home Lines Cruises and and all the men; officers' date=' waiters, busboys, stewards, etc., etc. You name them, someone knows who they are and where they are now. They might even be lurking around Cruise Critic. Is this one supposed to be your Daddy? You got the idea from this other desperate woman looking for her Daddy Dino? Giving info gets info. Sorry to be so crude, but this site has turned into a virtual Maury Povich with Seas Legs site. Enough men impregnated enough women during the Home Lines cruising history you could keep the boards hot for years and years to come! I was there. I saw. I watched. I learned. Oh what a life was had by all...[/quote']

Omg...i am shocked...You obviously do not know how much courage it takes to post a question on this board to try to get to the truth of your parentage. Every one has a right to know who their parents are no matter what the circumstances are and not just for medical reasons , it doesn't mean they are "desperate". This board after all is a public board, it could possibly be that the enquirers father might be loitering around and respond to their message. Or some one that knows him might pass on a message.

Anyway, i really hope the people that where brave enough to ask, find their Fathers ...

I ws just up in the attic looking for something and came across my "cruise memoribilia" box. Too hot to day up in the attic, so I brought it down. It's full of Home Lines menus. The covers are beautiful, inside, they are all dated, like: "Sunday, January 25, 1977 - SunWay cruise to the Caribbean". Some of the names of the selections might be similar to what you'd get on a cruise ship today, but it pretty much ends with the name. Those beautiful silver platters with the appropriate number of servings for however many at the table ordered that entre, to those ice cream desserts that were served on a little "ice pedestal". I still remember ordering "Coupe Arellia", and it was ice cream served that way. I came across a bar price list too....an afterdinner Amaretto was THIRTY FI VE CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took my first Home Lines cruise 28 years ago today! No....my memory isn't THAT good.....I recently came across the original ticket and memorabilia from the cruise). Sailed on the Oceanic! What a wonderful and very, very special week.

"A moment lasts all of a second, but the memory lives on forever."

• 5 months later...

Just came across this thread and so happy to see that others feel the same way about the Oceanic. I took my first cruise on that ship in 1970, as a very young girl with my grandparents. I remember how excited we were to be taking our first cruise and how much time we spent shopping beforehand -- Grandma had a new evening gown for every night and I got plenty of fancy new clothes as well. We cruised with our neighbors and their daughter (considerably older than me) who met and fell in love with one of the workers. I thought it was so exotic and romantic. They ended up getting married later that year when his contract was up and then they both ended up going to work on a ship (but not sure if that was the Oceanic as well). The ship was so luxurious and elegant and rocky! Even now, cruising luxury line Regent, the experience doesn't have quite the elegance that the Oceanic did back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
The Homeric cruise we did was on the Liberty weekend cruise 1986 out of NYC to Bermuda .The Homeric was in the Praide of ships for Liberty weekend !!

Dose any body here remember Dan Gable or Rick Spath ? Dan was the C D and Rick worked for him on the Oceanic !

We were on that trip too!! That was our first Home Lines cruise and the first cruise we went on. Absolutely loved Home Lines and we were on one of the last cruises that the Homeric did. I was on the Oceanic in 1983, my grandparents went to Bermuda and Nassau on her and prior to the departure we went on board as part of a Bon Voyage party. I remember walking the decks, looking at the shops and seeing the pools. I also recall, as do my family my "freaking out" when they called "All Ashore" prior departure and I was worreid we would get stuck onboard. Little did I know then :)

I remember Dan Gable, he was the CD on our second Homeric Cruise. The first cruise was a guy named Stan (Gable)? related to Dan? who was the CD on our first cruise. We had no idea what a Cruise Director did, with the exception of Julie from the Love Boat, who didn't do much, but always loved Stan and he kept us entertained all week. One of my greatest memories was the Horse Races and seeing people bring their "horse" with them everywhere all decorated etc.

Our waiters on both cruise were Sergio and his Assistant Franco. We enjoyed them so much that on our second trip we even requested to have one of their tables again. Once we got onboard my Dad went to see Maitre'd who promptly and easily made our request come true. Sailing onboard Homeric was a true dream, once you got onboard you were with familty, even it was your first cruise with them.

Scott

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Decided to tackle a little fall cleaning in a spare closet I've not been in, in years. I found a "Zeli" band record and it's playing while I type this! Amore Scuza me and Ciao ciao Bambino.....what memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao

Since 1971 I have sailed on 129 cruises including the very best, like Regent, Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn, Cunard as well as the most spectacular like Allure and Oasis of the Seas.

That said, I must say the SS OCEANIC is truly the ship of all time!

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Oceanic has been operated by Peace Boat for the last 2 years. It was just announced that Peaceboat leased the former Carnival Tropicale. Hopefully this does not mean the end to the Oceanic being in service and the end for this wonderful ship.

Edited by Stevedan

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh ...

I don't know if anyone will even see this thread/reply, but I do have quite a treasure up for grabs ...

I have (6) of the original record albums (LPs) from ONLY the S.S. Oceanic (only ship my Italian grandfather and my grandmother would sail...)

I have been faithfully restoring the vinyl recordings and transfering them to CD - they sound alive, vibrant and fantastic! I enjoy that style of music anyhow.

But my goal has been, all along, to offer the FULL-COLOR reproduced album artwork (front & back) scanned and color printed, and assembled into a handsome binder. The printing charge (well, actually, the color digital scanning charge) for all 6 albums (both sides) and a CD with the images cost $251 USD!!! But, I don't believe in doing anything half-way: It has to be perfect - it's how my grandfather would have wanted it, and as many of you can attest - it is how the OCEANIC would have presented it.

There are the LPs I have available; they go as a set:

Donzelli's Group I

Donzelli's Group II

Donzelli's Group III (with full-color band portrait - very rare!!)

Sergio and His Band

The Gino Stante Quartet (with all 4 member autographs on album back panel in colored felt pen)

The Callaghari Orchestra featuring "Renato"

Binder with full-color album artwork and other actual Oceanic scans (menus, daily itinerary, trivia, etc. - from a passenger info packet)

Each CD almost 40 minutes long and with full-color on-screen thermal printing (of the respective album artwork)

$100 USD via PayPal ... I can email you pictures if need be.

This price includes insured shipping to you - no matter where you live: US or Europe.

My name is Chris; I live in Maine, am a reputable hospital employee in a large medical center, and my grandfather, Louis Sansone, owned a successful Machining business called UNITED MACHINE in Lincoln, Rhode Island, and grew up in Providence. He loved the Oceanic, being Italian, Federal Hill, his family and his friends.

Please contact me if you are interested in owning a copy of this set of recordings. Also, I can be reached (email) at draughtbones@gmail.com or cell phone (maine) 207-740-6083. I would be happy to talk to you prior to shipping your set.

Also, if anyone does not yet know about this: on FACEBOOK there are TWO very lively S.S. Oceanic groups/pages celebrating the life of Oceanic. Check it out!!

Ciao,

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...
The Oceanic has been operated by Peace Boat for the last 2 years. It was just announced that Peaceboat leased the former Carnival Tropicale. Hopefully this does not mean the end to the Oceanic being in service and the end for this wonderful ship.

Hi Stevedan,

As you know, the Oceanic is on it's final voyage with Peaceboat. After that, the ship might get a one way ticket to Alang like the SS Topaz. Here is a message that I was asked to pass on to those who have every cruise onboard this ship:

I know that this isn’t much. But we can at least voice our thoughts about saving the SS Oceanic through a signature petition. Here is the link:http://www.thepetitionsite.com/823/199/057/save-the-ss-oceanic/

If you feel that the ship deserves to avoid the scrapyard, please sign and voice your personal memories about the ship. This is a ship that is worth saving.

This link is not a spam. It provides us to a least express our love for this vessel in the same manner as it was express with the Pacific Princess that was recently sold for scrap as well. Only your kind comments can save this unique ship.