Thoughts on Sydney HOHO Bus

Tedferg

We like to use HOHO to get an initial feel for a new place. However, in places such as Rome and NYC, heavy traffic makes them less useful. In Istanbul, tourist sites are mostly clustered in a small area, so no need for HOHO.

How about Sydney?

Last time I looked Sydney had a population of over 5 million, streets are narrow compared to other Australian city's. Peak hours are horrible so hold ups are a fact of life. Sydney has the best Public Transport in Australia, if you plan what you want to see and use the  Light Rail, the Loop and some walking to places of interest, Remember the Harbour ir Sydney so use the Ferry's for both transport and photo ops of Sydney.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:53 PM, beatleman said:

Last time I looked Sydney had a population of over 5 million, streets are narrow compared to other Australian city's. Peak hours are horrible so hold ups are a fact of life. Sydney has the best Public Transport in Australia, if you plan what you want to see and use the  Light Rail, the Loop and some walking to places of interest, Remember the Harbour ir Sydney so use the Ferry's for both transport and photo ops of Sydney.

Goog point, I need to scope out where to go, I was hoping HOHO would hit popular sights We do plan to use the ferry.

22 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Goog point, I need to scope out where to go, I was hoping HOHO would hit popular sights We do plan to use the ferry.

My first visit to Sydney I did use the HOHO bus.  It was a great overview, and worked for us being jet lagged but still wanting to see things.  It also gives an idea of how far it is to some of the places you'd like to go back to using the public transit.  It does go to popular sights, and have frequent enough next buses to catch after you are done. I have not gotten to use the ferry in my last two visits, but I do plan on using them for my trip in November.  

Many years ago, business trip, solo, I had a great seafood dinner. I think it was Dawsons at Watson Bay. Would kame a nice dinner spot and hopefully we will see the Southern Cross.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Many years ago, business trip, solo, I had a great seafood dinner. I think it was Dawsons at Watson Bay. Would kame a nice dinner spot and hopefully we will see the Southern Cross.

The Seafood Restaurant you ate at is Doyles at Watsons Bay, still there and very expensive  If you like Seafood suggest you visit the Sydney Fish Market, easy to get to by Light Rail L1 Dulwich line .

OK looks like $35 US for fish & chips, I guess that is expensive but maybe OK for a bucket list dinner. I remember I enjoyed it and was thinking of ferry ride, dinner, evening return to Circular Key under the stars 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

OK looks like $35 US for fish & chips, I guess that is expensive but maybe OK for a bucket list dinner. I remember I enjoyed it and was thinking of ferry ride, dinner, evening return to Circular Key under the stars 🙂

The bistro/takeaway is OK, it's the main restaurant that is overrated and overpriced.

Best experience is to get take away and eat on the pier or beach. You can also do that at Manly.

Light pollution at Circular Quay may make stargazing a little difficult

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yarramar said:

The bistro/takeaway is OK, it's the main restaurant that is overrated and overpriced.

Best experience is to get take away and eat on the pier or beach. You can also do that at Manly.

Light pollution at Circular Quay may make stargazing a little difficult

Manly is also an option, my visit to Doyles was probably for lunch 25 years ago. Coming back from Manly I saw the Southern Cross and was hoping to do that again.

So Manly or Watsons for an evening ferry ride?

8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

So Manly or Watsons for an evening ferry ride?

I would go to Watsons Bay, take some time while there going on some of the coastal walks and gorgeous scenery, come back for fish and chips then, take the ferry back in the evening.

Maybe catch a bus to Bondi in the early afternoon and do the coastal walk to Watsons Bay.