Your Twizy experience?

sockmonkeygirl

I know the good and the bad.  I had decided to rent one.  DH and I both ride scooters and motorcycles at home.  But no, you can't control the other freaks on the road.  I know it will be fun for us, but the thought of someone driving into us, or having a hard time charging / keeping a charge is daunting.  So, I'm still deciding.  I'd love to hear your personal experience renting a Twizy (or the other similar one) in Bermuda.  Was it good, bad, or ugly?  If we don't rent one, we'll be relying on public transportation.  I know, it's great, yada yada 🥴

41 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

I know it will be fun for us, but the thought of someone driving into us, or having a hard time charging / keeping a charge is daunting.

Did it once, more out of curiosity, but wouldn't do it again. It's not a scooter or motorcycle-- whole different beast. More stable than a two wheeled scooter but it can be awkward to drive-- feels more like an overpowered golf cart (and the feeling you could tip that goes along with that). 

45 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

Was it good, bad, or ugly?

The good was the freedom it gives you. Charging wasn't really an issue-- there were plenty of opportunities to do that. The biggest downside is that it is not really a two person vehicle-- the back seat is tiny, claustrophobic, and hard to see anything from. The rear passenger's head is way back into the canopy-- its weird. My wife is petite and she was not happy being back there-- a larger person would have a difficult time of it. 

47 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

But no, you can't control the other freaks on the road.  I know it will be fun for us, but the thought of someone driving into us,

You also need to consider that you'll need to drive on the other side of the road in Bermuda. Its not hard to get used to but can be a bit daunting at first and mistakes are easy in congested areas with more traffic. On the Twiggy you drive from the middle position (as opposed to being on the right or left of a traditional car) so it helps a little. 

Traffic on the roads is almost universally moving faster than you are so keep that in mind. I don't believe the Twizy is governed a lower speed like the tourist scooters are but you really have to throw your foot into it to get it to accelerate decently-- I was surprised because I thought an electric car would be like a go kart. 

48 minutes ago, sockmonkeygirl said:

If we don't rent one, we'll be relying on public transportation.  I know, it's great, yada yada 🥴

For what it costs to rent (we paid about $140 a day a few years ago) a Twizy you could easily spend some of that on taxis and blend the cost with public transport. Use the taxis strategically to get to some places you want to see faster. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The biggest downside is that it is not really a two person vehicle-- the back seat is tiny, claustrophobic, and hard to see anything from. The rear passenger's head is way back into the canopy-- its weird. My wife is petite and she was not happy being back there-- a larger person would have a difficult time of it. 

Current Vehicles the company that has Twizy rentals now has side by side 2 seaters for rent.  There are also other rental companies with side by side seating for 2. That said I am only taking taxis and ferries when visiting Bermuda.