Pompeii

OhioJourneys

Have reserved transportation only through ship from port to Pompeii so that we can tour on our own.  I know that we need to purchase skip the line entry tickets ahead to avoid long lines.  My question is does anyone have recommendation on which site to use for this purchase?  I was looking at Viator but see I need to go to their office at Pompeii to pick up my tickets?  What if it is not at same entrance our transport drops us?  Confused & worried...help!

Never use a third party site (like Viator) when you can buy directly from the site.

Things have changed recently at Pompei, you used to have to wait on line to exchange an on-line purchase for a paper ticket in order to get through the turnstiles.  Now they can read a QR code from your smartphone.

The official site is here:  Pompeii - TicketOne

You want to select Parco Archeologico di Pompei, then pick your date.  Don't worry about the time, they are good all day.

Warning -- Pompeii is a huge site. Bring a map of the site with you (can print out decent ones online) or buy one at the shop next to the ticket booth. It's also helpful to print out information about the site as well or download an audio tour. (Rick Steves has one.)

12 hours ago, OhioJourneys said:

Pompeii so that we can tour on our own

There is also little shade so Pompeii can be an exhausting visit on a hot day so bring plenty water  if travelling in the summer, and be realistic about the amount of time you are likely to spend there and what you can expect to see in that time. For most, I think an average will be around 2-3 hours and the site is indeed huge.