Water

Bobswife1

Most people drink bottled or filtered water to avoid the "pool chlorine" taste. The water in the toilet is not filtered to remove the chlorine, so it tastes like pool water to many people like me. The water in the buffet, restaurants and at the bars is carbon filtered and tastes OK to me. I have no problem drinking it. 

Those of us with some health issues keep water at the bedside for dry mouth, choking, etc. It's far easier to keep a bottle of water there than a glass that can be knocked over and spill.

36 minutes ago, fshagan said:

Most people drink bottled or filtered water to avoid the "pool chlorine" taste. The water in the toilet is not filtered to remove the chlorine, so it tastes like pool water to many people like me. The water in the buffet, restaurants and at the bars is carbon filtered and tastes OK to me. I have no problem drinking it. 

Thanks for pointing out this! I was beginning to wonder if I was imagining the chlorine smell of the bathroom tap water when reading that so many say it's great! The buffet water is  great though!

• Like 1

I drink multiple glasses of water from the tap in the bathroom daily when I'm onboard. I drink A LOT of water, like 1.5 gallons or so, a day. I've never noticed any nasty/odd taste from the water onboard. It does seem to be hard water which is fine with me as I can barely tolerate slimy soft water. 

12 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I drink multiple glasses of water from the tap in the bathroom daily when I'm onboard. I drink A LOT of water, like 1.5 gallons or so, a day. I've never noticed any nasty/odd taste from the water onboard. It does seem to be hard water which is fine with me as I can barely tolerate slimy soft water. 

I assure you, the chlorine is there. It's required to be at 2 to 2.5 PPM at all times. You may be used to chlorine in water. My municipality doesn't use chlorine so when it's in water I notice!

ship-chlorine-level-drinking-water.jpg

1 hour ago, fshagan said:

I assure you, the chlorine is there. It's required to be at 2 to 2.5 PPM at all times. You may be used to chlorine in water. My municipality doesn't use chlorine so when it's in water I notice!

Yeah. Chlorine in municipal water is pretty common over here, especially in cities, and if you're used to it you won't notice it in the ship's tap water. I'm used to crystal clear chemical free water (rural!). I notice! I can still drink it, but I prefer the non-chlorine smell/taste of the filtered water in the buffet. (Those carbon filters are great at removing bad taste. In my summer house I have my own well water with a slight metallic taste. My carbon filter water jug pretty much removes that taste)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fshagan said:

ship-chlorine-level-drinking-water.jpg

Oh, it's there! I taste it. I just drink the water quickly so I don't notice it....we're rural, like @Asawi. I do drink the water from our fridge which has a filter and we're going to be installing a whole house filtration system soon. There's a bit of iron that we don't want ruining our appliances. 

I did try the Flow water...it's awful! I'm just not a fan of plastic bottled water or (apparently) the boxed kind either. Give me some Saratoga water or Polar and that's fine (I know, Polar is in a plastic bottle too). 

But, thanks for sharing the stats. It's helpful! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, it's there! I taste it. I just drink the water quickly so I don't notice it....we're rural, like @Asawi. I do drink the water from our fridge which has a filter and we're going to be installing a whole house filtration system soon. There's a bit of iron that we don't want ruining our appliances. 

I did try the Flow water...it's awful! I'm just not a fan of plastic bottled water or (apparently) the boxed kind either. Give me some Saratoga water or Polar and that's fine (I know, Polar is in a plastic bottle too). 

But, thanks for sharing the stats. It's helpful! 

Sorry. When you responded about the chlorine taste with "I've never noticed any nasty/odd taste" I thought you were talking about the chlorine taste.

I guess what you're saying is that it doesn't bother you to taste chlorine. I think a lot of people are the same way, and don't care if the water has a chlorine taste.

Okay, let me comment on some things here.  Birdtravel trots out his photos of water in the sink every time the discussion of drinking water from the cabin comes up, despite my having explained what happened to him/her many times in the past.  This discolored water is caused by maintenance to the piping system around the ship.  Most of the water produced onboard is distilled water, made by evaporating sea water.  Distilled water is slightly acidic, so to prevent corrosion to the piping system and equipment, calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums, or any antacid) is added to neutralize it.  Over time, this calcium carbonate builds up as a scale on the inside of the pipes, where it remains, as long as the pipes are full of water.  If the pipes are drained to fix a leaking pipe, the scale dries out, and flakes off, and when the water is restored, this scale (which is harmless, though it does discolor the water) will be circulated through the pipes for a short time.  However, the "static" legs of piping going to your bathroom will collect some scale, which will come out initially when you open the faucet.  It will normally clear within a minute or two.

Now, to fshagen, the statement you linked, if you read carefully, says that the 2.5ppm chlorine is during production of the water.  Water produced by either distillation or reverse osmosis is not supplied directly into the water being circulated around the ship, as it is generally too warm from the production process.  So, it is directed to storage tanks, to cool before being used.  As the water sits in the storage tanks, the chlorine dissipates naturally, so the 2.5ppm chlorine level drops, and this is allowed under the VSP regulations.  When the water is circulated around the ship, and unlike a municipal system where the water sits in the pipes until someone uses it, only going one way from the plant to the user, ship's water is constantly being recirculated from the tanks, around to all the users on the ship, and what is not used returns to the tanks.  At this point, the requirement for chlorination is different from production, and is required to only be 0.5ppm at the farthest point from the chlorination point (engine room).  This results in water with a range of 0.8ppm (closest to the engine room) to 0.5ppm (typically monitored in the bridge bathroom, as the farthest point).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

On 7/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, Bobswife1 said:

What is the policy for water

Do u get water in your cabin or should i bring emoty water bottles and fill them

I do not know anyone named "U: so I can't say what he would get, but there are several faucets in every cabin plus water is availabel at the buffet as well as all bars and dining facilities.  It is free,  Bring a water bottle with you and fill it up as needed.  Id I do ever meet this guy "U", I will ask hme what he gets and report back.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:40 AM, fshagan said:

The water in the toilet is not filtered to remove the chlorine, so it tastes like pool water to many people like me.

You drink the water out of the toilet? GROSS.  I hope you drink it BEFORE using the toilet!

9 hours ago, fshagan said:

Sorry. When you responded about the chlorine taste with "I've never noticed any nasty/odd taste" I thought you were talking about the chlorine taste.

I guess what you're saying is that it doesn't bother you to taste chlorine. I think a lot of people are the same way, and don't care if the water has a chlorine taste.

Hey there - that is correct! It doesn't bother me and I don't find it odd or nasty. Does the water taste perfect? No....but I'm on a ship, in the middle of an ocean where water is produced from salt water. Nasty to me is when I'm hiking and need to fill up my water bottle, then drop an Iodine tablet in the water and wait the requisite twenty minutes for it to kill off whatever nasties are in the gross swamp water I've just filled my bottle with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

then drop an Iodine tablet in the water and wait the requisite twenty minutes for it to kill off whatever nasties are in the gross swamp water I've just filled my bottle with. 

I’d say this is a little diametrically opposed to a Haven Maven.  More power to you…🙌

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

I’d say this is a little diametrically opposed to a Haven Maven.  More power to you…🙌

Hahaha this whole Haven Maven started looking for lux after getting married. Actually, my post wedding trip (without the husband) was a canoe trip down the Green River to the confluence of the Colorado River. Even though we were floating on water, no iodine there as the water was too silty - had to carry it all in our canoes for five days. 

I haven't lost that wanderlust. Marriage has just changed my priorities to having a happy husband which requires fancy Haven arrangements. I say that like it's his fault (which it is), but I absolutely LOVE the Haven and truly enjoy my cruises so I'm not saying it with any malcontent in my heart. 🙂 

• Like 2