Senior Discount

Is this available on any cruise? My M-I-L is 62 and she will be staying in the same room as us, do we get a discount for this? Is it just on her fare or on everyone's? We are paying for the cruise completely and will be getting the third and fourth pax rate. Does us paying for it affect any discount we might receive otherwise?

It's not automatically available on every cruise. You'd have to check for that specific cruise and beyond that, cabin category. As long as the Senior is listed as 1 of the first 2 passengers in the cabin (those not paying the 3rd/4th rate), the senior rate would apply to both of the first 2 passengers. The rate for the 3rd/4th is not affected.

In general, there is no senior discount. They may offer a senior discount as an incentive on selected cruises that are not selling well. When a senior discount is offered it is for anyone over age 55 and only one person in the cabin needs to be over 55 for all the passenegers in the cabin to get the discount. The bottom line is that the majority of cruise passengers are seniors so there is no reason to offer a senior discount since they are already will to cruise as the full price.

Our last cruise gave us the AARP discount--this cruise, it's not available. I think it depends on how the ship is selling. If it's filling fast, why would they offer a discount? Next time, I'm planning my dates better and hopefully will not be sailing on a packed ship!

As other posters have said, Senior discounts may not be available, but if you go to some of the on-line TAs, many ask if one of the passengers is over 55 (and also your zipcode, for a residency discount). Try different sites and different sail-dates until you find the lowest price. Do NOT depend on a cruise line's own site to offer the lowest price--I booked my first cruise with an on-line TA 2-7-06 for a 5-21-06 sail date and paid $400. LESS than what the cruise line quoted. It's possible that had I called the cruise line's 800 number, they would have asked my age/zipcode so as to give the same low rate, so you might want to do that--but do it after you've done some research! Many posters build a relationship with a local TA so that they get personal service on all their travel needs. There are so many ways to save money, but you have to decide how much your time is worth, too!

Have a great cruise.

Archived