Japan IC Card...Pasmo, ICOCA, Suica oh my!

FlaMariner

So we think we need a pre-paid card for subways in Tokyo and Yokohama and Kyoto.  

I remain very confused about them....Why?  There are several but looks like they all work the same and are acceptable at most all subways/transport.  Some are for tourists but you have to buy at the airport (I think) and we arrive by ship.  Some are no longer being sold because of chip issues. 

Our goal would be to pre-purchase and have in hand before arriving in Japan.  If that is not feasible, we'd like to buy the card at the Yokohama subway station near the pier.  

Any intel from those that have gone before us?

I just bought the Japan Rail pass, which should arrive in the mail in a day or two. From the research I've done, the Japan Rail pass is worth buying if you'll do at least 1 round trip from Tokyo to another city like Kyoto or Osaka. You have to buy it and have it shipped to your house before you get to Japan (shipping says it takes 2 days, but if you purchase on a Thursday or Friday, it will take closer to 5 days to get to you).

If you'll only be using local trains in Tokyo (or Kyoto or Osaka), the SUICA card is more useful and less money. You buy the actual card, and load it with money, at the train station in Japan. The difference between the SUICA and the ICOCA (from the limited amount I read about it) is where you can go to get your money back if you don't use up all the money you pre-loaded onto it. The excess funds on the SUICA card can be refunded in Tokyo, and the excess funds loaded onto the ICOCA can be refunded only in Osaka or Kyoto or something like that. Otherwise they're basically the same.

I leave for my trip next week so take what I've said and do some backup research in case I'm wrong. 

Heres a blog I read that gives a lot of info:

https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/blog/how-to-purchase-japan-rail-pass-ticket

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

I like using Japan Guide as one of my resources.  I think their page on IC cards is pretty good:  https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

I also like using wikitravel.org for city specific transportation detail.  

IC cards are extremely convenient and prevents complexities around correct fares and mixed transportation (ie rail vs metro vs buses).  However, you aren't saving much per trip and I find local transportation within Japan can get a bit pricey if travelling a lot within a day.  Various one or multiday local daypasses might be worth considering as they also provide the simplicity of tap payment/entry.  But there is likely a bit of a convenience tradeoff of needing to source them when you get into town and what modes of transport they cover.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1