Disembarkation and luggage.

FannyLiz

Please can someone tell me what to expect when disembarking from a cruise ?  I understand I have to put my cases outside my cabin the night before disembarkation but how am I reunited with the cases and the Saga driver booked to take me home ?

It’s a long cruise and I will probably have 2 big suitcases plus handbag and overnight bag so don’t think I could manage them all in one go on my own.

Just now, FannyLiz said:

Please can someone tell me what to expect when disembarking from a cruise ?  I understand I have to put my cases outside my cabin the night before disembarkation but how am I reunited with the cases and the Saga driver booked to take me home ?

It’s a long cruise and I will probably have 2 big suitcases plus handbag and overnight bag so don’t think I could manage them all in one go on my own.

Your cases will have a tag which you will put on before you put them out.

While you sleep, have breakfast and wait in one of the lounges your cases will be taken into the terminal.

While you wait in a lounge to be called there is ample supplies of fruit juice, tea, coffee and Danish pastries

When you're called and go down to the terminal staff will be waiting to help you find you cases.

A porter (all included in the cruise price) will take your cases and lead you to the exit.

A meber of staff will ask your name and call for your driver who will take you to your car.

The porter will follow with your cases.

The driver and the porter will fit your cases into the boot... you can double check that they are all there if you like.

The drivers that we've had in the last year have all asked if they can take the cases to the door for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you are using Saga transport you will need to check that it is OK for 2 large cases and an overnight bag, as their 'allowance' is for 1 case per person.  If you are on shared transport with maybe 3 other passengers, this could cause a problem.  When we contacted Saga to ask if we could take 1 small holdall in addition to our cases we were told to check with the driver when he contacted us to arrange a pick-up but, of course, this would have been too late to re-arrange our packing!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Louby-Lou said:

If you are using Saga transport you will need to check that it is OK for 2 large cases and an overnight bag, as their 'allowance' is for 1 case per person.  If you are on shared transport with maybe 3 other passengers, this could cause a problem.  When we contacted Saga to ask if we could take 1 small holdall in addition to our cases we were told to check with the driver when he contacted us to arrange a pick-up but, of course, this would have been too late to re-arrange our packing!

We tell them at the time of booking. The maximum they can allocate is five cases. Saga then put a note on your booking.

When the driver calls we tell them so they to are aware of how many cases and it’s not a shock when they pull up.

• Like 2

Thank you both. There’ll just be me and the driver so my 2 cases and overnight bag should fit somewhere. Looking at the wonderful wall-to-wall food that Saga serve I hope, after 30 days, that there is room for me as well on the return trip.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

We tell them at the time of booking. The maximum they can allocate is five cases. Saga then put a note on your booking.

When the driver calls we tell them so they to are aware of how many cases and it’s not a shock when they pull up

23 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

Is this a maximum of 5 cases per cabin, ie 10 per car/van . Or 5 cases per car/van

We've told them we are taking 5 cases for a months cruise. I didn't think there was any limit as long as you gave notice of more than standard 2 cases.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Is this a maximum of 5 cases per cabin, ie 10 per car/van . Or 5 cases per car/van

We've told them we are taking 5 cases for a months cruise. I didn't think there was any limit as long as you gave notice of more than standard 2 cases.

Five cases is the maximum they can allocate to the booking. I’m assuming tricky box type thing. There isn’t a limit it’s just what the booking system will allow.
We take 4 cases, plus two carry on cases and crossbody bags for tickets, passports etc

Just let the driver know when they call.

2 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

Five cases is the maximum they can allocate to the booking. I’m assuming tricky box type thing. There isn’t a limit it’s just what the booking system will allow.
We take 4 cases, plus two carry on cases and crossbody bags for tickets, passports etc

It's important to let Saga know in advance because the drivers don't always ring beforehand. We had no phone call prior to our last 2 pickups.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, david05 said:

It's important to let Saga know in advance because the drivers don't always ring beforehand. We had no phone call prior to our last 2 pickups.

Agree fully. Also even if they ring the night before , you can't assume the car/van be changed for a bigger one at such short notice. 

If you've given them plenty of notice it's their problem to fix , tell them night before it's your problem. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scorpio41 said:

So can one person take 5 cases - asking for a friend with a shoe problem…….!!

• Haha 1

On a Transatlantic cruise some years ago (with P&O) I was playing bridge with a couple who were on their first ever cruise. A 24 night cruise, as their first ever? That's brave, I thought, but that's for another day. On the way home, about three days out from Southampton I jokingly asked if they had starting packing yet. The lady replied, yes, after all, we have seven cases to pack. Seven, I replied incredulously? Yes, she said.- as it's our first cruise, we didn't know what to pack, so we packed just about everything, including a full size suitcase with just her shoes...

Edited by LondonLad60
  • Haha 1