American Express vs Cruise Insurance

I always buy cruise insurance and usually by the cruise line because it is simplier.  I have purchaed outside insurance sometimes.  For an upcoming cruise I was searching for insurance as it is a Sixthman cruise and they are all non-refundable once booked.  I usually book with my Cruiseline credit card for points but this was with Sixthman so I used my American Express.  When readinging my coverage it seems like American Express provides many of the same cancellation and delay coverages as the Insurance policies.  Has anyone just used American Express?  How was the service if needed?

While you are waiting for someone who has experience with American Express, I’ll just point out that credit card insurance is not designed to take the place of a comprehensive travel policy. While the Cancellation/Interruption coverage is generous for what it is, it reimburses a short list of covered events. Most importantly, it does not cover pre-existing conditions. Be sure you understand what that means and to whom it applies. You can find that information in the Guide to Benefits for your specific card.

Also be sure you understand how your primary health insurance covers you when you travel. Depending on which card you have, you may have some limited emergency medical, but it won’t be enough.

If you can post a link to your Guide to Benefits, people here can help you identify potential problems.

• Thanks 1

We purchased insurance through AMEX for a cruise last year, I believe it was the "Silver" level. My husband and I both were diagnosed with COVID while on the ship and we decided to change our return flights as we just wanted to get home and didn't feel comfortable touring while being sick.

When we returned home we submitted a claim for the large fees charged by the airline and AMEX paid it all. One tip: maintain very detailed records and draft a cover letter with your documents so it will be easy for the adjuster to scroll through your claim. We had to show proof from the ship's doctor that we were diagnosed on board and within 2 days our claim was approved.    The cruise line gave us 90% FTC and our medical provider reimbursed us for Paxlovid.  We now use Travelguard which is more customizable and not much more expensive.