Polynesian Cultural Center: DIY or Cruise Line?

disneyochem

We’re on the Crown Princess visiting Honolulu on January 13, 2023.  Hubby really wants to visit the Polynesian center (PCC)—he used to go as a kid with his family.  We’ve reserved a car and are planning on driving to/from the PCC.  Our ship leaves at 11 pm that night (all onboard will probably be around 10:30 pm).

After reading posts on this board, I’m a little concerned about getting back to the ship on time.  PCC told me that their HA: Breath of Life show ends at 9 pm.  If we have a rental car, will have to return it prior to heading to the port.  If we purchase transportation from PCC, we have to make our way back to the ship from the drop off point (Aloha Towers??).  I really don’t want to take the cruise line’s tour but it may be our only option to make it back on time.  We also want to upgrade to the Super Ambassador package but can’t do that on the Princess tour.

Another option is to still drive, visit the center and then just head back to Honolulu, missing the show and dinner.  We’d then look into having drinks/appetizers at The House without a Key.

I know that we should just bite the bullet and book with Princess but am interested to hear from folks.  Is going to HA: Breath of Life worthwhile?  Hubby doesn’t care so much about the show—he just wants to spend time in the villages.

Thanks!

We saw HA during spring break and it was one of the rare things Kid (teen) thought was great and wants to see it again. 

However, afterwards you'll be in a car caravan snaking down 83 (one lane each way) until you reach the H3 interchange. G Maps says it's a bit over a 1 hour drive to the cruise terminal, but you'll have to return your car. Took us 90 minutes for the drive to our hotel in Waikiki.

IMO take the cruise excursion. 

Polynesian center (PCC) is an excellent multiple-hour experience and it's located about as far away to the North-Northeast part of the island as you can get.  Agree, take the cruise excursion on this one, primarily because you can leave the worries to them.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, disneyochem said:

We’re on the Crown Princess visiting Honolulu on January 13, 2023.  Hubby really wants to visit the Polynesian center (PCC)—he used to go as a kid with his family.  We’ve reserved a car and are planning on driving to/from the PCC.  Our ship leaves at 11 pm that night (all onboard will probably be around 10:30 pm).

After reading posts on this board, I’m a little concerned about getting back to the ship on time.  PCC told me that their HA: Breath of Life show ends at 9 pm.  If we have a rental car, will have to return it prior to heading to the port.  If we purchase transportation from PCC, we have to make our way back to the ship from the drop off point (Aloha Towers??).  I really don’t want to take the cruise line’s tour but it may be our only option to make it back on time.  We also want to upgrade to the Super Ambassador package but can’t do that on the Princess tour.

Another option is to still drive, visit the center and then just head back to Honolulu, missing the show and dinner.  We’d then look into having drinks/appetizers at The House without a Key.

I know that we should just bite the bullet and book with Princess but am interested to hear from folks.  Is going to HA: Breath of Life worthwhile?  Hubby doesn’t care so much about the show—he just wants to spend time in the villages.

Thanks!

If you book directly PCC there is a discount if booking 10 days in advance you get a 10% discount. They also have transportation for an extra fee I believe $25 per person. This is  booking directly from their sight. If the cruise ship is offering this excursion perhaps you should get it from them if your worried about getting back to the ship as you probably know, the cruise ship will wait for the tour to come back before they leave. 

are you going in Jan 24? I was frustrated with the Princess tour for the following reasons:

• it didn't start until noon so by the time we got to the PCC (after 2 & they close at 5:30) it was a rush to see even a fraction of what they have to offer 
  • the bus driver told us to leave the show halfway through so that we would beat the traffic (this was one of the best parts of the day & I was very disappointed)
  • they charged us for the luau but then switched to the buffet which was very good but a much less expensive option

if the villages are the important part I would definitely go on your own or with the PCC transportation (it is walkable to/from Aloha towers or check Uber/Taxi...if you want the evening show, then it is a different decision process (how willing are you to risk missing the ship if traffic is terrible) & if you do go with the Princess excursion talk to the excursion people ahead of time about what to do if the bus driver says to leave early...

I did put a much longer discussion of this & our trip to the PCC in my live from our cuise on the Crown in March if you want more of my thoughts & lots of photos 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Those are helpful notes.

To my knowledge the luau is the buffet now.  It's been like this for about a decade.  You have a large window of time to enjoy the buffet prior to the start of the show.

they do serve a buffet at the luau but still have the traditional luau show in addition to the evening Ha performance but there is also a buffet restaurant which has a more extensive buffet but no luau performances just a couple of musicians doing songs by request...the PCC offers the Ali'i Luau package at $190 or the Gateway Buffet package at $140 among other choices

• Like 1