Princess cruise - AUS NZ - Fiordland Queenstown Dunedin overland excursion

Hi all,

I know this topic was last discussed a few years ago, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience on this excursion? Happy for some feedback. I wonder if it is worth skipping the rest of the scenic cruising on the cruise ship to embark on a road trip (8 hours in total). I am not very fond of the bungee demonstration of course. 

I presume, as soon as the cruise arrives in Milford sound in the morning, those who join the excursion will be offloaded straightaway - and the ferry that take us to the shore will hardly wander around for more water scenic view. 

Appreciate all your advice

Although I haven't done this as an excursion I have driven that route privately. The scenery is stunning. You will probably get a chance to take some photos of Milford Sound on the way in and from where the tender drops you off. And you'll probably get plenty of photo opportunities along the way. Queenstown is a lovely lakeside town and a trip on the Earnslaw is always fun. The drive from Queenstown to Dunedin is also lovely. It's an expensive excursion but do it if you can, you'll see much more of the beautiful NZ countryside that you would on the scenic cruising.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Although I haven't done this as an excursion I have driven that route privately. The scenery is stunning. You will probably get a chance to take some photos of Milford Sound on the way in and from where the tender drops you off. And you'll probably get plenty of photo opportunities along the way. Queenstown is a lovely lakeside town and a trip on the Earnslaw is always fun. The drive from Queenstown to Dunedin is also lovely. It's an expensive excursion but do it if you can, you'll see much more of the beautiful NZ countryside that you would on the scenic cruising.

We have just driven from Dunedin to Cromwell to Queenstown. We are staying in the Central Park Apartments in Cromwell. They are next door to the Highlands Motorsports. I highly recommend a visit including the ‘Loo with a view’. Also the Transport and Toy Museum in Wanaka is the best car, toys and plane exhibition we have ever seen. We arrived back from having lunch in Queenstown today the owner of our apartment had taken our washing out of the dryer and put in our room and turned the heater on. You can’t get much better service than that.

• Like 2