Luxor Overland Experience ( passenger who have done this tour!

Rabbit27

Would anyone have a detail itinerary for Luxor Overland Experience booked through the cruise.

Day one and day two I do have a brief itinerary but it’s not saying with Tombs etc 

I have attached the itinerary if anybody has more details or last years information would be wonderful.

I have rang Azamara and they had the same information as me.

cheers Karen 

IMG_3115.jpeg

9 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

How much is this tour? We’re thinking of doing this next year. Sounds great to me.

I’ve done these many years ago, but this sounds a bit less rushed than a one day tour.

Hi it’s AUD  $1245.00

• Thanks 1

Hi!  We did this last November.  Really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, I did not keep our itinerary.  What we enjoyed the most was that we were at The Valley of the Kings when it opened.  It was basically our group in King Tut's tomb by ourselves.  The ticket that they give you entitles you to visit 3 tombs and Tut's tomb.  On the first day we asked our guide about buying the extra ticket to visit the tomb of Seti I.  She arranged it for us and it was, not only a fabulous tomb, but it was just the 4 of us in the tomb.  She had warned us that if we went to Seti I we probably would not have time for the other 3 tombs.  However, given that we were there at the opening, we had no problem visiting all of the tombs.  

The only negative with the tour was that all of our meals were at the hotel and 2 lunches and the dinner were the exact same buffet.  A number of us did complain about this one aspect so, hopefully, they have changed that.  

Happy to answer any other questions. 

• Thanks 1

You could also look at doing the overnight tour with another company. We did it a few years ago with YourEgyptTours. We stayed at the Steinberger (same hotel Azamara used). Our tour was much cheaper than Azamara’s tour with a similar itinerary. The only difference was dinner was not included, but the Steigenberger had a nice Italian restaurant that was reasonable.

We also paid extra to visit SETI’s tomb and totally agree that it’s well worth it as it’s just amazing. We also had the option to pay extra & go to the light and sound show at Karnak in the evening. We went and I loved it, but my DH definitely did not!

We had a great guide. We were in mini-buses rather than a larger bus, but they were fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crzrr said:

Hi!  We did this last November.  Really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, I did not keep our itinerary.  What we enjoyed the most was that we were at The Valley of the Kings when it opened.  It was basically our group in King Tut's tomb by ourselves.  The ticket that they give you entitles you to visit 3 tombs and Tut's tomb.  On the first day we asked our guide about buying the extra ticket to visit the tomb of Seti I.  She arranged it for us and it was, not only a fabulous tomb, but it was just the 4 of us in the tomb.  She had warned us that if we went to Seti I we probably would not have time for the other 3 tombs.  However, given that we were there at the opening, we had no problem visiting all of the tombs.  

The only negative with the tour was that all of our meals were at the hotel and 2 lunches and the dinner were the exact same buffet.  A number of us did complain about this one aspect so, hopefully, they have changed that.  

Happy to answer any other questions. 

Thank you so much. Can you remember what you did on day one after lunch? our itinerary says ‘…check into hotel, sit down for a delicious lunch in preparation of the days exploration.’ It does not say where we will go. Assume it will be Karnak temple but it’s not clear. Mentions going to the light and sound show in the evening and then return to the hotel for dinner. Seems odd they would not mention what we would do in the afternoon. 

34 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

You could also look at doing the overnight tour with another company. We did it a few years ago with YourEgyptTours. We stayed at the Steinberger (same hotel Azamara used). Our tour was much cheaper than Azamara’s tour with a similar itinerary. The only difference was dinner was not included, but the Steigenberger had a nice Italian restaurant that was reasonable.

We also paid extra to visit SETI’s tomb and totally agree that it’s well worth it as it’s just amazing. We also had the option to pay extra & go to the light and sound show at Karnak in the evening. We went and I loved it, but my DH definitely did not!

We had a great guide. We were in mini-buses rather than a larger bus, but they were fine.

Hi I have checked other companies and with Azamara prices for us are in AUD so was cheaper to book through the ship, just need a few more answers before we book which we are 99% sure we will .

As unfortunately customary in Egypt, a lot of precious tour time is wasted in papyrus/alabaster factories and tacky horrible tourist stores. Many years ago we did a tour down to Luxor and were dropped off in the Valley of the Kings for a very short time in order to be bussed off to one of these ghastly tourist traps for double the time.

How much time was wasted like this on the Azamara Tours? 

3 hours ago, Rabbit27 said:

Thank you so much. Can you remember what you did on day one after lunch? our itinerary says ‘…check into hotel, sit down for a delicious lunch in preparation of the days exploration.’ It does not say where we will go. Assume it will be Karnak temple but it’s not clear. Mentions going to the light and sound show in the evening and then return to the hotel for dinner. Seems odd they would not mention what we would do in the afternoon. 

After lunch we had free time.  We ended up taking a walk, having coffee in the hotel atrium and then enjoying our balcony which looked out over the Nile.  Late in the afternoon (and neither of us can remember the time) we left for the Karnak temple and the light show.  We got there right around dusk and it was dark by the time that they let us in.  We enjoyed the show.  Had dinner upon our return.  

In the morning, look out over the Nile towards the Valley of the Kings and you will see lots of hot air balloons.  It was beautiful to watch them as the sun was rising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oslo Dutch said:

As unfortunately customary in Egypt, a lot of precious tour time is wasted in papyrus/alabaster factories and tacky horrible tourist stores. Many years ago we did a tour down to Luxor and were dropped off in the Valley of the Kings for a very short time in order to be bussed off to one of these ghastly tourist traps for double the time.

How much time was wasted like this on the Azamara Tours? 

On our Luxor tour we did not stop at any place like that.  We did at the end of the day in Cairo to see the Pyramids.  

• Thanks 1

Hi. I am booked for an Oct/Nov 2024 Azamara Cruise, stopping in Safaga for 2 days. I looked at the itinerary above, and it seems limited in what is to be seen for the amount of money. I contacted two reputable companies, each of which will provide a private tour for ONE person (me) to/from the ship, overnight in Luxor, and visiting a whole list of sites (all included in the fare), including:

• Karnak Temple
  • Luxor Temple
  • Hatshepsut's Temple
  • Valley of the Kings (including Tomb of Tut)
  • Colossi of Memnon

It will include the private car, drive/tour guide, and 5-star hotel for the evening. Plus I get to control where I go or don't go (like skipping the shopping).  All for $460.  The ships tour seems more expensive, considering it is a group tour?  I am also thinking of using them when in Alexandria to see Cairo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Hi. I am booked for an Oct/Nov 2024 Azamara Cruise, stopping in Safaga for 2 days. I looked at the itinerary above, and it seems limited in what is to be seen for the amount of money. I contacted two reputable companies, each of which will provide a private tour for ONE person (me) to/from the ship, overnight in Luxor, and visiting a whole list of sites (all included in the fare), including:

• Karnak Temple
  • Luxor Temple
  • Hatshepsut's Temple
  • Colossi of Memnon

It will include the private car, drive/tour guide, and 5-star hotel for the evening. Plus I get to control where I go or don't go (like skipping the shopping).  All for $460.  The ships tour seems more expensive, considering it is a group tour?  I am also thinking of using them when in Alexandria to see Cairo.

Just as an FYI - those are the same sites included with the AZ overnight.

3 hours ago, njguy_south said:

• Karnak Temple
  • Luxor Temple
  • Hatshepsut's Temple
  • Colossi of Memnon

This is almost exactly what we did this May.  Private tour for just the two of us.  Our own driver and our own guide, both with us both days. Stayed at the Steigenberger in an upgraded room with a huge balcony overlooking the Nile. All entrance fees included.  Lunch both days included. 

After seeing what they could do for us, and the price, never considered the ship's group tour, even with a bunch of OBC.  The advantage of controlling our own time, rather than being controlled by the pace of others, sealed the deal for us.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, njguy_south said:

• Karnak Temple
  • Luxor Temple
  • Hatshepsut's Temple
  • Colossi of Memnon

Who were the 2 reputable companies, please?

On 7/20/2023 at 10:09 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

Hi we booked this company last night so all set now and looking forward to our adventures.

• Like 2