NCL Jewel Handicapped Accesible

Royals Carol

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are cruising on the Jewel in 2025. This is the Smallest ship we will be cruising on. My husband is handicapped (spinal cord injury) so will need a scooter. In your opinion, is this ship a good ship for a handicapped accessibility? Are there handicapped restrooms on each floor with public access? Also, are the inside accessible rooms large enough for a scooter?

This cruise is 11 days and I want to make sure he will not have problems on the Jewel.

Thank you so much! 

We've been on her sister ship, the Pearl, three times with my scooter, and we've never had an issue getting around, or finding restrooms.  We've never had an accessible cabin, the smallest being the Club Balcony Suite, so I can't say whether there will be room in an inside.  Although if it's an accessible cabin, they're built for wheelchairs and scooters.  I'm sure the Jewel is laid out the same way, and we'll find out in 67 days, as we'll be on her going to Alaska.

• Like 1

@Royals Carol -  This is a fairly recent YT video for #8609 (8109 is identical) accessible Inside.  It is "roomier" than the typical Inside for ships like the Gem & the Dawn (probably - not 100% sure - alike with the Spirit or Pearl)   The bathroom and roll-in shower is quite spacious (by NCL/ship standards) and practically the same as the ones for the accessible Obstructed Oceanview (there are 8 of them just ahead of the AFT elevators, in a semi-private corridor to/from O'Sheehan's toward the midship elevators, stairs & atrium lobby below.  Only one of the 4 elevators take you straight down to deck 6 - the MDR, making it 100% accessible.  

One of my SIL uses a foldable rollator-walker these days when needed but otherwise, get around with her cane onboard.  That foldable will fit in 8609 just fine ... however, I'm 95% sure that you are likely going to have difficulty putting the scooter inside, maybe.  There really isn't a whole lot of room to move around.  It is best to call & check with NCL's Access Desk as they should know and can advise you.  

Depending on the price difference, I would probably advise my SIL to plan ahead and book one of the accessible, obstructed Oceanview cabin instead - it is "larger" and those cabins can sleep up to 4 with the 4th being an upper pullman that drop down from the wall.  Below is an old, very old thread that go back to 2009 - discussing accessible cabins on the Star - our SIL was in one (Jewel #8102) of them - 3 adults sharing ... scroll down and you can see 3 beds across, with plenty of room in the remaining middle space in the "center" of the room.  When bed #3 isn't needed or use, it is quite roomy (but, it still doesn't come close to the accessible Oceanview cabins for the *Away/Plus class ships)  

• Thanks 1