Jeans in dining room and chops??

We have sailed Disney, Princess, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean. My husband pointed out to me on RC that the people there were the most casual dressers of the lines we had been on. We love dressing up for dinner, even our kids love it! We were a bit surprised that Carnival seemed to be the most dressed up, esp for formal night wow some fancy duds!

You know I have had the opposite experience. Princess was the dressiest but I have seen really dressed down, downright slobby people on RCI, Princess and Carnival. About the same level of tattered t-shirts to gowns on all three lines.

Civil today, aren't we?? It's all a matter of personal taste. If you don't mind looking out of place, don't worry about it. Nobody is going to say a thing to you, but you can't stop what's going through their minds.

Aubie

I'd say it's more a matter of respect for your host's wishes than personal taste. I don't really care what other people think, but good manners dictate that I respect my host's wishes.

I agree with theabove poster, it is all a matter of respect for your host. That being said i dont think i would complain about anyone unless they were doing something really out of place or rude or sitting at my table. If someone at my table showed up dressed like a slob I would ask the head waiter to remind them of the suggested attire as well as ask them myself to dress a little nicer.

Only truely unacceptable thing I have seen in the dining room was a 10 year old in a shirt promoting the smoking of weed and his father in a baseball cap. Nothing like teaching your kids what is right and wrong.

We don't really care what other people would be thinking so I don't think that will be an issue. Thank you to those whose replies were not nasty. It seems like lately alot of posters have decided to act like bulls in a china shop. We are glad that this is not true as to when we are on the cruise as really think people would not want to be cruising with a bunch of crabs!!!!

For a rule to be a rule it must be enforced -

guidelines are just that guidelines-

It seems since RC does not enforce dress codes then it is up to the individual so if your husband prefers jeans then that's fine

on non-formal nights in the dining room for anyone if that's what you prefer-if other diners are so offended by a stranger wearing jeans in the dining room then they need to find something more important to worry about. I prefer to worry about how my family looks and not about others. Teens and children definately wear jeans in the dining room & since no one says a word then it would seem to be appropriate.

As far as specialty restaurants - they are considered special & are not part of the cruise fare such as the dining room is so one should expect to dress special.

Why don't we have threads on how to smuggle a jeans wearing person into Chops-- Maybe sneak a guy with a Tshirt into the dining room, while someone distracts the maitre d'-- lets tell our ingenious ways we flaunted the dress code-- I bet so many people could come up with good ideas to disguise a pair of sweats as formal attire -- a type of illusion where it looks like a simple pair of dress trousers, but in reality a pair of swimming trunks HAHA!!!

Aren't some of you posters the same ones who smuggle liquor on board?? I just wonder at where you find it necessary to respect the "host" and where you find it amusing to find ways to disobey the rules.

Very brave poster.....last thread about this went on forever. I asked about teens in jeans and got all sorts of replies including some "evaluating" my parenting skills or lack of.....

I never considered wearing jeans...but I think that this time...I just might.

lol that was a good thread :D If i owned a pair of jeans, I wouldn't hesitate to wear them during the casual nights.

Just got off the Explorer last week and saw LOTS of jeans in the dining room. Seems except for the Formal nights all other nights are casual and like I said saw jeans every night. Even demin skirts. It was fine. I really don't see any problem with jeans.

Guest cvbart
If someone at my table showed up dressed like a slob I would ask the head waiter to remind them of the suggested attire as well as ask them myself to dress a little nicer.

I'm not sure that confronting people in the dining room is a really good idea:(

Sure not what I want to see on a cruise.

I think that a person must also respect the people at the table that they are at.

I was on a cruise, several years ago, in which on formal night all of the men were in either tux or suits. A person came to the table dressed very casual and informed everyone that he felt out of place.

My opinion, and as we all know everyone has one, that if you are at a table of a group that you are with or a table of two, what you wear is ok, but if you are at a large table, I think conforming with the dress code is the best thing to do.

I think that a person must also respect the people at the table that they are at.

I was on a cruise, several years ago, in which on formal night all of the men were in either tux or suits. A person came to the table dressed very casual and informed everyone that he felt out of place.

My opinion, and as we all know everyone has one, that if you are at a table of a group that you are with or a table of two, what you wear is ok, but if you are at a large table, I think conforming with the dress code is the best thing to do.

That person should have felt out if place as he was not appropriately dressed for formal night. I hope he was very uncomfortable.

Whom I sit with has no impact on how I dress. I would never dress in jeans or anything casual for dinner on a cruise or any land restaurant for that matter.

IMO, it is respectful to the passengers and to the cruise staff and crew to dress properly.

It doesn't upset me to see people in jeans at formal nights or in the main dining room. I usually admire their chutzpah. I'm of the school of live and let live as long as you don't scare the horses. :D That being said, I LOVE to dress up and fancy myself a clothes horse. For the most part the only times of the year I get to wear a gown is for an annual legislative dinner in D.C., at a downtown New Year's Eve hotel thing we do every year, and formal nights on cruises. Safe bet I'll be in one of a growing collection again later this year. :D

Guest cvbart
I would never dress in jeans or anything casual for dinner on a cruise or any land restaurant for that matter.

You dress up for fast food:confused:

You dress up for fast food:confused:

I do not eat fast food, ever, and avoid chain restaurants like the plague. Don't care for greasy, unhealthy, etc. and have never been through a drive through.

I prefer small, locally owned bistros and cafes and, for a special night out, Ruth Chris or something similar.

I do not like crowded, noisy, kid filled, casual dining, much prefer to cook at home.

I do not eat fast food, ever, and avoid chain restaurants like the plague. Don't care for greasy, unhealthy, etc. and have never been through a drive through.

I prefer small, locally owned bistros and cafes and, for a special night out, Ruth Chris or something similar.

I do not like crowded, noisy, kid filled, casual dining, much prefer to cook at home.

Not bashing you at all but you know Ruth's Chris is a chain right? Still amazing food but they are all over the country. (I did not set out to bubble burst when I woke up, I swear)

Not bashing you at all but you know Ruth's Chris is a chain right? Still amazing food but they are all over the country. (I did not set out to bubble burst when I woke up, I swear)

Point taken. I was referring to the Outbacks, Applebees, etc. Just cannot stand them.

Point taken. I was referring to the Outbacks, Applebees, etc. Just cannot stand them.

I admit that most of them are not good at all but like my secretly watching American Idol and (horrors) America's Next Top Model (Oh God I cannot believe I posted that. The shame). I have a weird thing for Red Lobster. I actually asked my husband to take me there this weekend for our date night. He looked at me like I had spun my head and started speaking in Satan and asked, "Are you sure you don't want to go to real Seafood instead? (Local seafood place. Not amazing but not horrible). I like the biscuits. :eek:

Ok, Nancy, I can't just leave you hanging out there all alone, with your innermost secrets exposed.

I never never never never never never never watch "reality shows".

Last night, I watched American Inventor.

Oh, the shame! :eek:

I watched 20 minutes, decided it was the most boring show on TV (and that includes Fly Fishing. Interesting to do, boring to watch) and changed the channel. Then I got mad at ER for not living up to their hype. Sheesh. What a let down that was.

I need to do something at night besides TV but I am so tied from chasing kids all darn day. I write in the morning but I lose my momentum as the day goes one.

I wish the Travel Channel had more travel and less, whatever that is they are airing.

I admit that most of them are not good at all but like my secretly watching American Idol and (horrors) America's Next Top Model (Oh God I cannot believe I posted that. The shame). I have a weird thing for Red Lobster. I actually asked my husband to take me there this weekend for our date night. He looked at me like I had spun my head and started speaking in Satan and asked, "Are you sure you don't want to go to real Seafood instead? (Local seafood place. Not amazing but not horrible). I like the biscuits. :eek:

Hello, my name is Peggy, and I also love the biscuits at Red Lobster, AND, sometimes I watch People's Court!!!

THERE, I've said it!! I feel soooooo liberated! :D :D

Every so often I log onto this board to get information about CRUISING. While I often find some of the silly questions and responses amusing, I almost always get very weary of wading through the off-topic crapola. This is a board for CRUISING. I don't know if you folks are lonely or restless between episodes of Oprah and the soaps, but if you really feel the need to discuss Applebees or TV shows or conduct a dialogue with friends, please find a chatroom somewhere or use email. PLEASE?!

As to the original question, there are jeans that cost as much as my formalwear and jeans with holes in the knees. Only you and your common sense can decide if they are appropriate. My only suggestion for this and other similar questions is to focus on the cruising experience for the other 1,000 or so passengers and not just yourself. The specialty restaurants levy a fee for the ambiance as well as the food, and I would think that most of those people would like a dining experience a cut above what you would experience in the Windjammer or even the main dining room. For that reason, I myself would not wear jeans.

Archived