Solo trip July 2024 NCL Getaway- Excursion ideas

Nataliea621

Hi!

I just booked a cruise for July 4-14 2024. This is the itinerary:

I plan to arrive July 1 and spend a couple days exploring Athens on my own. I have a couple choices for hotels that I am debating on- Attalos Hote,  Gaia Athens or The Adrian Hotel. But if anyone has recommendations for a solo traveler let me know. I have read this board thoroughly but I am on a budget and the ones I see that are mentioned are out of my league. 

I also love wine and history so most of my excursions plan to be that.

July 4- Dep Athens 5PM

July 5- Thessaloniki 8:15-4pm- Vergina excursion

July 6- Izmir/Ephesus- 7am-4pm- Find a tour to Ephesus-none are listed on the NCL website. 

July 7-8 Istanbul 10am- overnight to 4pm - On my own

July 9- Mykonos-11-8 Delos

July 10- Paros- 8am-6pm- on my own

July 11-Crete- 8am-6pm- Knossos and maybe on my own 

July 12- Rhodes- 8-6 -On my own

July 13- Santorini- 8am-9:30pm - Ancient Akrotiri and Wine tasting

July Athens 7am

Let me know anything and everything! I am very excited about this trip!

Natalie

You have a really nice itinerary and (since I share your interests) I like your plans.

Only thing I'd suggest is not to miss the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion. The Knossos site is great (if maybe "over reconstructed") but the museum has all of the truly wonderful objects and the original frescoes from the site. I loved it so much I went back a second time on a subsequent trip. 

You can easily get there on your own via a moderate walk from where the ships dock.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You have a really nice itinerary and (since I share your interests) I like your plans.

Only thing I'd suggest is not to miss the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion. The Knossos site is great (if maybe "over reconstructed") but the museum has all of the truly wonderful objects and the original frescoes from the site. I loved it so much I went back a second time on a subsequent trip. 

You can easily get there on your own via a moderate walk from where the ships dock.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Do you recommend any of my other ports to do on my own. I know I will do Paros and Rhodes for sure on my own. Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Nataliea621 said:

Thank you! This is extremely helpful. Do you recommend any of my other ports to do on my own. I know I will do Paros and Rhodes for sure on my own. Thanks! 

I think you have a good balance. You need a tour for Vergina definitely and to get to Ephesus from Izmir.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you have a good balance. You need a tour for Vergina definitely and to get to Ephesus from Izmir.

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for a tour from Izmir? Because I’m not finding any and the ones on other sites are private tours and as a solo traveler it’s hard to find something for 1 person. 

It's going to be more $$ due to coming from Izmir rather than Kusadasi. I've done a private tour just for me from Kusadasi, tours are cheaper in Turkey than most places. 

I'm a bit surprised NCL isn't offering anything....

I will look through my notes and see if I can find anything. If I do I'll post here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's going to be more $$ due to coming from Izmir rather than Kusadasi. I've done a private tour just for me from Kusadasi, tours are cheaper in Turkey than most places. 

I'm a bit surprised NCL isn't offering anything....

I will look through my notes and see if I can find anything. If I do I'll post here.

Okay thank you! There are only 2 excursions for Izmir. One is a good one and the other is a wine tasting at a boutique hotel/winery. While that sounds wonderful. I would prefer to go to Ephesus. 

5 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Okay thank you! There are only 2 excursions for Izmir. One is a good one and the other is a wine tasting at a boutique hotel/winery. While that sounds wonderful. I would prefer to go to Ephesus. 

Yes!!!  Ephesus is outstanding. First time I went, I was standing at the top of the hill looking down the ancient street to the beautiful library at the end and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. (It helped that I was there in late November, in 2005 -- very few others were there.)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes!!!  Ephesus is outstanding. First time I went, I was standing at the top of the hill looking down the ancient street to the beautiful library at the end and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. (It helped that I was there in late November, in 2005 -- very few others were there.)

Okay I’m finding some on some other sites. I’m glad. And it’s on the one where I can reserve now and pay later. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

So do you have any good recommendations for mid priced hotels in Athens? I am fine getting around via Metro etc. I have traveled all over and take all kinds of transit. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

So do you have any good recommendations for mid priced hotels in Athens? I am fine getting around via Metro etc. I have traveled all over and take all kinds of transit. Thanks!

Sorry, I've only ever stayed at the Athens Gate (3x) and the Grande Bretagne (2x). Athens Gate used to be more reasonable but assume their popularity has probably led to higher prices.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, I've only ever stayed at the Athens Gate (3x) and the Grande Bretagne (2x). Athens Gate used to be more reasonable but assume their popularity has probably led to higher prices.

Yeah I would love to stay there. But there are a couple near it that are more affordable and have good reviews. So I might look into them. I appreciate the help though. 

• 3 weeks later...