Lost luggage

SoloAlaska

part 1 : how to pack

I’ll preface this by saying I love to plan. Planning helps sooth my anxiety. Last year on a business trip the airline lost all of my luggage and it took 2-3 weeks to get it back. Depending on trips sometimes I wouldn’t have time to replace items or might forget something.

Getting aboard a cruise ship with the clothing on my back is a nightmare. So here’s the way I plan for the possibility.

1. “personal item” in addition to my normal in flight items like snacks and entertainment I pack the absolute essentials. This bag has any electronics, prescription medications, battery powered devices, travel documents, wallet, house keys etc.. In addition I always add a pair of socks, underwear, and a tshirt. If everything else is lost I can check into a hotel and go shopping the next morning.

Hotels can usually provide basic toiletries if your luggage was lost so just ask if this happens. 

2. “carry on” packing. Ever flown in a tiny plane where you can’t bring your carry on? Are the overhead bins too full and you need to gate check your carry on? Was your bag just slightly overfilled and you have to check it? Yep it happens but boarding early, making sure your bag fits the airline dimensions easily can help prevent this from happening.

The carry on is where I put hard to replace items or more expensive items. Airlines and insurance only cover a certain value for lost luggage so I don’t check anything that would be expensive to replace. This items go into my carry on. Also if your checked luggage is lost the airline will usually pay for “reasonable essential toiletries and clothing” so anything that doesn’t fit in that category I put in my carry on.

As I pack I use a list to know what is in each bag. I lay everything out from my checked luggage on my bed and take a photo. I can refer to that photo if everything is lost as proof to the airline or as reference for myself.

Part 2 the plan before I leave

Here’s an example of my upcoming TA. Flying from Canada to Rome and I have a few connections so the risk is higher for luggage being lost. I get in in the afternoon and will take the train from the airport to downtown. The next day mid morning I plan to board a train to the port. That leaves almost 22 hours if there is no delays to be in Rome. 

Before I go I look for stores I’m familiar with in the city I’ll be in to make shopping easier. I always find things that are convenient with a priority for department stores to get as much in one location as possible. Most major cities have a Sephora so I can get some of my toiletries and makeup replaced. I also find out if the department store offers personal shopping or stylist services. 

Stylist mood board is my magic trick. I had a stylist make a Pinterest board for me. The board features my colours, styles, and outfit ideas. I also keep my measurements in the notes section including shoe and hat size. I can send that ahead to a store with a stylist to pull clothing for me or I can use it as my own reference. This visual reference is especially handy for overcoming language barriers. 

Reimbursement: check what will be reimbursed. Different countries require airlines to reimburse different amounts based on delayed luggage. Does your travel insurance offer protection? 

last but not least I have AirTags EVERYWHERE. I have them in my checked and carry on luggage all the way to my knitting bag just in case. I track my luggage throughout my travels to see if it’s making the connection.

Do you have any tips for dealing with lost luggage? I’d love to hear them.

Edited by SoloAlaska
Airtags

Pull off all old bar code stickers from previous trips

Download the airline app.  If the offer luggage routing alerts sign up for that.  I fly Delta and get alerts for my bags loading and for baggage collection belt numbers.

Place you name and contact information on the inside as well as outside of bag.  Include name address and phone of the hotel.

Edited by Meander Ingwa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Carry-on only and still cross-pack with my husband. I see/assume that you travel solo, so that is a stickler! 

So true cross packing is such a great tip. I usually travel solo so not an option for me.

I enjoy planning too, which is good because my husband hates it.  You've shared some good ideas.  I'll add a few /won't do any repeats: 

- We're close enough to drive to cruise ports, so we manage our own luggage.  If we get the suitcase all the way to the porters, I'm not overly worried about it getting lost between the parking lot and our stateroom!  But that's not a possibility for everyone.  

- Our suitcases are olive green and rust colored.  No one has those colors.  

- We secure our suitcases with zip ties.  The cruise line could open them, but they never have.  

- If we're flying to a non-cruise vacation, we never check luggage.  We purposefully own only rolling carry-ons so that we're not tempted to over-pack.  For a one-week cruise, we share one rolling-carry on.  We bring 2-3 tops for every bottom, and we always wear a worn-several times pair of shorts before a shore excursion (why get a fresh, clean outfit sweaty?).  We are both experts at rolling things up small.  

- We minimize shoes, which is absolutely the key to packing light.  Typically my husband wears tennis shoes and packs black boat shoes, which he wears for dinner.  I wear tennis shoes and pack walking sandals + wedge heels that match all my dinner outfits.  If we're going to be at the beach or taking part in an active water-based shore excursion, he brings water socks (which pack so much smaller than his chunky water sandals) and I pack water shoes.  

- We absolutely carry no more than one suitcase + one backpack each; in contrast, we often see people juggling two suitcases each + multiple tote bags.  They're just asking to lose something.  Worse, we saw an elderly lady trying to manage two large suitcases + a tote bag on an escalator as we disembarked in Miami -- she fell, and she got hurt. 

- If you ABSOLUTELY MUST pack more, more, more, at least minimize the number of bags in which you pack your things -- the more you divide your attention, the more likely you are to lose something. 

- If you're juggling multiple bags or are prone to losing things, seriously consider one of those around-the-neck passport /document holders. 

- Do not allow yourself to be hurried.  After you show your documents, STOP and put them away.  Holding them in your hand or shoving them in an unsecured pocket is a good way to find yourself in a crisis.      

- When we boarded our last cruise, the family ahead of us was really smart:  they had a collapsible wagon.  The father was pulling the wagon, which contained two small boys + a bunch of tote bags or backpacks.  The mother was following so she could watch the boys, and she was carrying a toddler.  Brilliant:  their children and their stuff was contained.  I'm sure they wheeled that wagon right off the ship for island stops.  

- We minimize toiletries by decanting products into small bottles.  I carry the smallest bit of base make-up in a contact lens container, and I have a few "free gift items" from Clinique that're perfect for travel.  I bring my old eye make-up, etc. and throw it away at the end of the trip.  Ditto with toothbrushes.  My grandmother taught me to bring sample perfumes from magazines on vacation /rub them on my wrists.  

- Being Team Hands-Free, we always choose a day pack as our carry-on.  They're more secure than an open-top tote, and they carry plenty and are perfect for shore excursions.  

- We have a "travel wallet" (originally a gift from a travel agent) that holds our passports, cash and cards, prepared envelopes for island stops.  We check and double-check this before we leave the house.  The big point is that we have a way of keeping our essentials together.  I've known a couple people who've managed to lose their passports or credit cards on vacation -- it's harder to lose them if they're corralled together.  

- I don't bring the entire contents of my everyday wallet.  I don't need my library card, my retired teacher ID, or gift cards /punch cards for lunch places in my home town.  I move the essentials over to a tiny zippered coin purse, which I keep in a wristlet that's easy to carry around the ship.  

- Once we're on the ship, we store our keys in our room safe.  No point in carrying around what you aren't going to use.  

- We bring two separate credit cards.  We've never had any problem with loss or identity theft, but -- just in case -- we want to have a second card at our disposal.  We have copies of all our documents and cards at the bottom of our carry ons.  

- I attach TWO laminated luggage tags to our suitcase, and I put our cell phone numbers in /on the suitcase.  But I don't put our hotel or home information -- anyone who found our suitcase would call us /would not bring the suitcase to us without calling.  

• Like 2

Almost everything mentioned on this thread is good for all travel, not just cruises.

The level of the OP's organisation is waaay beyond what we do, but each to their own.

For all air travel, like others we cross-pack (a mix of mine & my partner's clothes in both of our cases) so that one of us isn't stymied if their case goes AWOL.

And outbound we attach several labels (altho those attached by airlines stick like they've been welded-on 😏).  But our home address only goes on a large sheet of paper inside our checked cases, and for the return flight only.

Naturally we're careful to keep with us on our person or in our carry-on, all documentation, valuables, cash, cards, medications, home/car keys, the basics of clothing (plus swim-suits for that day on-board), plus such other stuff as won't fit  in our checked cases.

Most of that goes in the cabin safe - as well as the obvious reason, a lot of it is small and easy to mislay. 

For flights on aircraft chartered by the cruise line we know that even if all labels come adrift the cases will at lease make it to ship.

Airports are the most-likely to be where stuff goes missing, whether mislaid or stolen. Even to hot destinations I wear a jacket with zippered pockets for paperwork, valuables, and any important medications. At security I watch our trays from the moment they go on the conveyor at security until I receive them at the other end, and - like @Mum2Mercury - at every point in the airport & elsewhere we'll stop, return everything to where we keep it before moving on.

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Almost everything mentioned on this thread is good for all travel, not just cruises.

The level of the OP's organisation is waaay beyond what we do, but each to their own.

I think searching out stores where clothes could be replaced -- before any luggage is lost -- is a little "above and beyond", but everything else sounds reasonable.  

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Naturally we're careful to keep with us on our person or in our carry-on, all documentation, valuables, cash, cards, medications, home/car keys, the basics of clothing (plus swim-suits for that day on-board), plus such other stuff as won't fit  in our checked cases.

Most of that goes in the cabin safe - as well as the obvious reason, a lot of it is small and easy to mislay. 

You say "naturally", but not everyone is careful with those essentials.  

I say this with shame:  Last week I dropped off my mom and disabled father at the airport.  They picked me up, and I drove them in their car, so I didn't see the contents of the trunk until we were knee-deep in the chaos -- she had two suitcases, a small duffel bag, two open-top tote bags and a big purse.  We got my stepfather's scooter out and covered him in little bits of luggage.  He asked, "Which of these bags holds our passports?"  And Mom replied, "I don't know.  We'll figure it out once we get you inside and out of this heat."  They left me behind, and it all worked out, but I didn't feel easy about them managing all those bits and bobs.  

They signed on to do the very same cruise next year, and my mom made one comment to me as I drove them home:  She said, "Next year we're each wearing one outfit and packing three more in one shared suitcase.  The ship had no-cost, self-service laundry."  I jumped all over this conversation and offered to lend them each a backpack (as I said earlier, I'm Team Hands-Free and own several) and my travel wallet (for their documents).  

• Like 1

Wisdom from other forms of travel:

Carry two forms of government issue photo ID.

While actually travelling, keep the one which isn't needed in a next-to-your-body moneybelt. Or hidden vest, concealed shorts with thigh-pockets, or bra with pockets sewn into the band. Or whatever you've come up with.

The other form of photo ID should be with your other travel documents, in a garment worn in front of you. A jacket pocket if you will always be wearing the jacket. A cross-body bag with the bag part in front of you. A 'cargo shirt' with a bunch of pockets. Ideally, a pocket with zips or buttons.

Once in the cabin, the passport-level ID and travel documents go straight into the safe. The cruise card (or Princess medallion) will be all the ID you'll need until disembarkation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a great believer in AirTags. I’ve heard so many fairy tales over the phone from lost luggage departments through the years, that I’ve learned to never believe a word they say. With an AirTag, at least I know pretty much where my suitcase actually is if it’s not with me.

I also second packing as light as possible. One of the things I’m happy to leave out is any sort of perfume. So many people have strong reactions to perfume these days that I don’t wear it, especially in areas with a lot of people, like a cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, JVes said:

Wisdom from other forms of travel:

Carry two forms of government issue photo ID.

While actually travelling, keep the one which isn't needed in a next-to-your-body moneybelt. Or hidden vest, concealed shorts with thigh-pockets, or bra with pockets sewn into the band. Or whatever you've come up with.

The other form of photo ID should be with your other travel documents, in a garment worn in front of you. A jacket pocket if you will always be wearing the jacket. A cross-body bag with the bag part in front of you. A 'cargo shirt' with a bunch of pockets. Ideally, a pocket with zips or buttons.

Once in the cabin, the passport-level ID and travel documents go straight into the safe. The cruise card (or Princess medallion) will be all the ID you'll need until disembarkation.

Great advice! And I have a photo of DH’s and my passport and driving licence on my phone and his. They wouldn’t be any good to use instead of the originals, but they will help get the ball rolling for replacements if the originals are lost or stolen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I also second packing as light as possible. One of the things I’m happy to leave out is any sort of perfume. So many people have strong reactions to perfume these days that I don’t wear it, especially in areas with a lot of people, like a cruise ship.

Speaking as one of those people: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO INCREDIBLY MUCH!

That may have been a tad loud.

If you're being a little bit overzealous, make a document with all the important information. My first overseas trip, I went to a dangerous extreme and listed everything, including not just driver's licence and passport, but address at home, where I was staying, what my itinerary was, and oh so much more. 

The older, wiser me suggests making such a document and leaving it with next of kin and/or most trustworthy friend/s. That document stays in those wise hands.
Make a second document.
This has an image of you, your name, and your nationality, and your cruise ship. (And any hotels, you landlubber!) along with contact details for:
- next of kin,

- trustworthy friend,

- travel agent,

- travel insurance, your cruise line & ship,

- anything else you think wise.
Put the second document everywhere. In each checked bag, in your carryon luggage, inside a compartment on a tote bag, in the safe in your ship/hotel, on the backdrop of the theatre stage.....

• 2 months later...

Wow, I guess I've lucked out on having absolutely no problems with lost luggage in 51 years of flying.  Yes, we do travel often 3-4x/yr.  Only probs were once I left my packpurse with wallet under a table in a dark Costa Rican restaurant.  Forgot it for an hour, drove back and it was still there tucked under the table.  Another time I left a small but important bag on a Philippine taxi back seat when getting out.  After trying to figure out where we had left it, I had our little hotel call the taxi company and we immediately got it back...nothing missing.

- Hubby and myself also cross pack, and I am very careful about removing all other tags/barcodes from previous trips off our luggage.

- We also split our credit cards and I only take what I absolutely need from my home wallet switching it out to a mini makeup bag with a leather cardholder inside it. The little leather cardholder is also a perfect place to stick that little parking ticket for your long term airport parkade so it doesn't get lost or mangled somewhere on the trip. 

- One thing to note...if your phone/laptop/tablet doesn't have your picture on the main screen, you might want to switch it to that for your trip.  This saved a friend of ours who has a very expensive phone - he left it at a site in a port city (not on a ship excursion) while on a cruise and they refused to give it to him by description only.  He said tap it open and voila! a lovely picture of himself & his wife.  They had to give it to him then.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:48 PM, JVes said:

Well, you're right in general, but A FEW ports require an ID in addition to the ship ID.  Nassau, Bahamas, for example requires a government ID + your ship's ID to gain access to the dock /the ships.  (Not that I'm ever going back to Nassau.)  I have no idea what they'd do if you had only the ship ID.  

On 8/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, lisiamc said:

I’m a great believer in AirTags.

My daughter and her husband were out of town, and he dropped his keys in a restaurant parking lot -- he believes they fell out of his pocket while he was securing their toddler in his car seat. 

His vehicle has the push-to-start feature; his keys were nearby + she had her keys -- so he was able to start the car and drive away.  When they stopped, he realized his keys were gone. 

Because of the Air Tag, they were able to go straight back to his keys.  

7 hours ago, canadjineh said:

Wow, I guess I've lucked out on having absolutely no problems with lost luggage in 51 years of flying.

Lost luggage isn't all that common, but the stories are repeated and repeated, and they begin to "feel like more".  

I've never lost luggage either, but it's not luck -- it's that I only travel with carry ons.  It'd take a special kind of stupid to lose luggage out of your own hand.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, you're right in general, but A FEW ports require an ID in addition to the ship ID.  Nassau, Bahamas, for example requires a government ID + your ship's ID to gain access to the dock /the ships.  (Not that I'm ever going back to Nassau.)  I have no idea what they'd do if you had only the ship ID.  

My daughter and her husband were out of town, and he dropped his keys in a restaurant parking lot -- he believes they fell out of his pocket while he was securing their toddler in his car seat. 

His vehicle has the push-to-start feature; his keys were nearby + she had her keys -- so he was able to start the car and drive away.  When they stopped, he realized his keys were gone. 

Because of the Air Tag, they were able to go straight back to his keys.  

Lost luggage isn't all that common, but the stories are repeated and repeated, and they begin to "feel like more".  

I've never lost luggage either, but it's not luck -- it's that I only travel with carry ons.  It'd take a special kind of stupid to lose luggage out of your own hand.  

I think I might be unlucky. I’ve never had lost luggage in the sense of never seeing it again, but I’ve had suitcases delayed for many days, on four separate occasions. We do travel a lot, and this has been over the course of twenty years. Still very annoying, and I now have three air tags. One for my checked bag, one for my carry on, which often gets gate-checked, and one for my keys. They give me a bit more peace of mind for the next time it happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that.

On 10/15/2023 at 1:59 AM, canadjineh said:

Wow, I guess I've lucked out on having absolutely no problems with lost luggage in 51 years of flying.  Yes, we do travel often 3-4x/yr.  Only probs were once I left my packpurse with wallet under a table in a dark Costa Rican restaurant.  Forgot it for an hour, drove back and it was still there tucked under the table.  Another time I left a small but important bag on a Philippine taxi back seat when getting out.  After trying to figure out where we had left it, I had our little hotel call the taxi company and we immediately got it back...nothing missing.

- Hubby and myself also cross pack, and I am very careful about removing all other tags/barcodes from previous trips off our luggage.

- We also split our credit cards and I only take what I absolutely need from my home wallet switching it out to a mini makeup bag with a leather cardholder inside it. The little leather cardholder is also a perfect place to stick that little parking ticket for your long term airport parkade so it doesn't get lost or mangled somewhere on the trip. 

- One thing to note...if your phone/laptop/tablet doesn't have your picture on the main screen, you might want to switch it to that for your trip.  This saved a friend of ours who has a very expensive phone - he left it at a site in a port city (not on a ship excursion) while on a cruise and they refused to give it to him by description only.  He said tap it open and voila! a lovely picture of himself & his wife.  They had to give it to him then.

You are very lucky. Just in the last 2 years I think I’m at 6 pieces of delayed luggage. Usually I have it the next morning but some were up to 3 weeks before I got them back.

love the tip for the phone I’ll be using that one.