Symphony of Seas embarkation in Rome vs Barcelona.

taymiss2

We are starting our cruise in Rome for no other reason than the dates worked better for us. I read something recently that the majority of people start in Barcelona.  Maybe 500 total start in Rome.  If I had to guess I would have thought it was 50/50.  Anyone have an explanation for why so few in Rome? I am kinda hoping it is true. Sounds like it will be easy check in and empty ship most of the day for us if we check in early. We land at 930am from Brussels and I was planning on going to Rome for a few hours and the head to the ship. Didn’t realize how much back tracking that will be until I looked at the map.   
and yes I am nervous about flying in day of but the whole reason we will be in Europe was I wanted to go to Gymnastics World championships which team final is the night before in Antwerp. We added the cruise on last minute.   Catching the first flight out in the morning.

if the ship leaves at 8 I assume we need to check in by 6 pm?

3 minutes ago, taymiss2 said:

I read something recently that the majority of people start in Barcelona

That doesn't make any sense.

3 minutes ago, taymiss2 said:

We land at 930am from Brussels and I was planning on going to Rome for a few hours and the head to the ship. Didn’t realize how much back tracking that will be until I looked at the map.   

You might want to have a transfer company pick you up at the airport and give you a tour on the way t the port.  For example:

https://www.romecabs.com/pre-cruise-tours-civitavecchia/

This company will start the tours from either Rome or the airport. Just ask them for a quote.

17 hours ago, taymiss2 said:

if the ship leaves at 8 I assume we need to check in by 6 pm?

You need to get this information from the cruiseline.  You really do have to be accurate about timing when you are embarking. However if you plan on boarding at the last minute you will not get an empty ship, many guests will be returning from their day trips to Rome earlier than 6 pm.  

As to the uneven embarkation numbers between Rome and Barcelona, it may be due to the marketing of that particular cruise.  It may be that there will be more Spanish cruisers or (and this is purely speculation) that it is easier for Northern Europeans to fly to Barcelona 

It doesn't make sense for a ship to have a significantly different passenger load in one direction. There are a variety of reasons why one port may be more popular than the other, but the cruise line will level them up with appropriate promos in one direction and perhaps disincentives like a fare hike in the other direction. 

Both cities are well-worth a few days pre or post-cruise.

The city is much much closer to the port in Barcelona than in Rome - I don't know whether you'd see any advantage in that being pre-cruise or post-cruise.

Me? I'm a cheapskate - I'd choose the most economical way round.

JB 🙂

I have been reading through a bunch of reviews of this trip and many of them mention the unbalanced embarkation numbers for Rome vs Barcelona.  One described how the days on the daily newsletter will be off for the Rome passengers because Day 1 starts in Barcelona.  Hadn't thought of how that will work.  Interesting.   

My unofficial observation on our cruise was that far more people started and ended their week cruise in Barcelona than those that started and ended in Rome.  (roundtrip - ours was not a directional cruise - so the ship is full the whole time, just many more people started/ended in Barcelona)   We started in Rome and the check - in was a breeze for that reason.    As far as going into Rome after a 9:30 arrival, I am not sure I would be up for that hectic of a day, but it is probably doable.  Just make sure you understand when you need to be back and anticipate traffic if you are traveling by car.   I don't see more than a couple hours in Rome given your constraints.

Last time I sailed out of Rome the airplane parked at 13.00, I arrived at Civitavecchia FS at 15.58. From there it would have been perhaps an hour to finish boarding (I arrived several days early). Wouldn't have left much time for Rome.

If you go with a car service, quite different, but won't be cheap.

Can't think of a reason why there would be any confusion with the daily program.

On 7/24/2023 at 1:31 PM, taymiss2 said:

I have been reading through a bunch of reviews of this trip and many of them mention the unbalanced embarkation numbers for Rome vs Barcelona.  One described how the days on the daily newsletter will be off for the Rome passengers because Day 1 starts in Barcelona.  Hadn't thought of how that will work.  Interesting.   

We have been on a couple of Med cruises with this arrangement (but not RCCL).   If I recall correctly (no guarantee on that!) the daily programs were specific to our situation.  In other words ours might say Day 7 with luggage instructions for departure, while the next door cabin on the same day may get  a program that says Day 4 without the luggage instructions.    So the cabin stewards would have to make sure people get the correct version.    Also, the theatre shows need to be considered.   Our cruises had shows every night but none were "welcome aboard" theme or "farewell" theme (no great loss in my opinion.) Those themes would not work in this situation.

I like this arrangement, it seems to take some of the load off of the embarkation and debarkation days.    They don't need to onboard / offboard everyone on the same day. - thus it was smoother and less waiting for everyone including in Barcelona.   If I were to guess, 60% of our ships passengers started in Barcelona, 30% in Rome, and 10% in Marseille.